Texas Hunting Forum

Rutting?

Posted By: redchevy

Rutting? - 02/01/16 02:24 PM

Date and time are correct.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Rutting? - 02/01/16 02:53 PM

I had a few pics of 2 bucks fighting and one scent checking in hunt county last week
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Rutting? - 02/01/16 03:03 PM

Dad sat two sits this weekend and said there were a few chasing yet in Duval Co.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: Rutting? - 02/01/16 06:52 PM

Saw a buck chasing a doe this morning in Burnet county.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rutting? - 02/01/16 07:28 PM

Had a buck pushing does around my house feeder a couple of days ago. Witnessed 2 fights last week in South Texas while hunting. 2 bucks were yearlings and the other 2 were 3-4 yr olds. The older ones fought for 7-8 minutes at least. Found a broken mainbeam whole left antler off of a 140 type 8 point mid afternoon at a feeder I hunted that morning. It was not there that morning. I saw buck pushing doe or actually chasing does when the weather was colder last week. Most bucks checked every doe fawn that was at the feeder. Doe fawns are getting large enough body size now to heat cycle.
Posted By: Preacher Ed

Re: Rutting? - 02/01/16 07:45 PM

Not sure how the rut normally in TX, but I suspect it is much like here in LA. Our main rut where I live is usually around Thanksgiving week. I have hunted for almost 50 years, and for the 1st time ever, I saw a spotted fawn during Thanksgiving week this season. Not sure when that would have put the fawn's momma breeding last year but it would have had to have been late.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Rutting? - 02/01/16 07:59 PM

Rut in Texas can be from Sept till early Jan depending on where you hunt. In a wet year like we had last year many doe fawns are large enough body wise to be able to cycle and breed. Many late born spotted fawns are due to having a doe fawn that bred as their momma then having a late born fawn. Many people would be shocked to know the numbers of doe fawns that do breed in Texas in wet years or on well managed places.
Posted By: huntingbig8

Re: Rutting? - 02/02/16 04:03 AM

We are still hunting near PK lake and nearly every outing recently we have seen bucks running does. Lots of yearlings just now getting bred.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Rutting? - 02/02/16 04:30 PM

Saw bucks trailing does in Nacogdoches county this past weekend.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Rutting? - 02/02/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Rut in Texas can be from Sept till early Jan depending on where you hunt. In a wet year like we had last year many doe fawns are large enough body wise to be able to cycle and breed. Many late born spotted fawns are due to having a doe fawn that bred as their momma then having a late born fawn. Many people would be shocked to know the numbers of doe fawns that do breed in Texas in wet years or on well managed places.

Yep saw two mature bucks had a 20 lb (maybe) doe fawn cornered on a fence line yesterday. Poor little fawn didn't know what to do until I ran the bucks off long enough for her to crawl thru a hole and hightail it. I'm sure they were back in the chase when I left. banana
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum