Texas Hunting Forum

Bad things can happen when you're stupid...

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 01/30/16 06:55 PM

Yes, I know it was stupid. No, I don't know what I was thinking. But all is well, so I can laugh about it now.

So, I head out to the farm yesterday to cut a couple trees down that have been in my way all season, and to rotate my stand about 45* to get a better view of both pastures.

My stand is basically a wooden quad pod that holds one person comfortably, or 2 people tightly. We built a wooden roof, and some sides on it to block the elements. It is heavier than I thought. We were able to stand it up with 2 people, so I figured I could apin it a little with 1 person. I was wrong.

I tried lifting a leg at a time and pulling it, I tried pushing it. Then I had the brilliant idea that I could strap a leg to the truck, move it a couple inches, unhook it, do the same on the next leg, and do it slowly a couple inches at a time, til it was where I wanted. Well it worked flawlessly... The first 2 times I did it. On the third time, well, I guess I got a little over confident in how well my plan was working, and......

I flipped the dang thing over. Busted one of the legs to pieces, and the roof and sides we added fell apart. The good news is, a couple of 2x4s sandwiched around the broken one, and another 2x4 to replace the conduit as a brace, and I'll be back in business. Miraculously, it missed my truck, and it is a miracle, because I was using about a 3ft length of ratchet strap to pull it.

So in conclusion, dont try to do something alone, that you know requires help. Dodged a serious bullet on this one.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 01/30/16 07:07 PM

Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from lack of wisdom.

I'm glad that you're ok.

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 01/30/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By: syncerus
Wisdom comes from experience. Experience comes from lack of wisdom.

I'm glad that you're ok.

I like that.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 01/30/16 07:16 PM

Wow
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 01/30/16 09:05 PM

Stupid is as stupid does. We've all done stupid.
Posted By: turbotj

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 01/31/16 03:09 AM

Stupid is as stupid does. We've all done stupid.

We just don't post them!

Glad everyone is ok, no real harm done!
Posted By: cliffie

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 02/01/16 08:00 AM

There are those who have and there are those who will
Posted By: TAT

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 02/01/16 02:49 PM

That could gave ended bad. Now you know For next time. Live and learn glad you and your truck are ok!!
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 02/01/16 10:22 PM

Yes I know that bad things happen when you're stupid. I've been married 3 times bang

As for your gaff...glad you're okay up
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 02/01/16 10:37 PM

Your ability to tear something up is pitiful. You need to take me with you next time to show you how to destroy something properly.

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 02/01/16 10:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Your ability to tear something up is pitiful. You need to take me with you next time to show you how to destroy something properly.

roflmao
Posted By: redfred

Re: Bad things can happen when you're stupid... - 02/01/16 11:20 PM

A few years ago, I was helping my uncle move a box blind from one lease to another. It was all wood, really heavy, built to last. We managed to get it loaded onto his truck and drove it almost 400 miles to the new lease. We hooked up a neat block and tackle and unloaded the blind. When my uncle started to move his truck out of the way, somehow a rope got tangled around his trailer hitch and he yanked one of the legs completely off the base. It only took us four hours to put it back up. hammer
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum