Texas Hunting Forum

Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age?

Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:25 PM

Managed to get a big old doe this weekend. Weighed in at 120 lbs on hoof, and was pregnant. She was missing most of her teeth and the few molars she did have were ground down to almost nothing. Any guesses on age?

Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:30 PM

Olddddd
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:31 PM

Crazy healthy though for teeth like that.. with green like what shes layin in though it helps

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:31 PM

did you take the whole jaw out?

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:34 PM

We have a ton of green left!.. she was eating corn, bet that was painful.

I did not take the jaw out, just propped it open with a stick for pics.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:34 PM

If you really want to know, pull one of those lower center incisors and have it Cementum Annuli tested. Will run around $30, but might be worth it if you've got a 10+ yo deer there.

Or, if you pulled the whole lower jaw snap some pics of the full tooth wear, especially on those back teeth.

120lb is a big doe for our parts! Congrats.

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:35 PM

I left the head with the gut pile.. I'm sure I'll be able to find it next weekened I might see if I can get that jaw back
Posted By: passthru

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:37 PM

I saw one this year that was gray back past her shoulders and lanky as all get out.

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:49 PM

Looking at some charts I found online, theyre saying to use like the first bicuspid molar to measure the dentin.. this doe didn't even have that molar.. all gums till like the last three molars in the very back of her jaw!
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 04:55 PM

So all three premolars were gone and only three permanent molars on each lower jawbone? Premolars completely missing or just worn to the gum line?
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 05:06 PM

Nice shot!
Depending on what that bottom jaw looks like anybody guess could be her age. Once they wear that much of it out it really is a guessing game.

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
So all three premolars were gone and only three permanent molars on each lower jawbone? Premolars completely missing or just worn to the gum line?

Completely gone.. like only gums
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 05:15 PM

From those pics she still has a lot of front teeth showing. Can't see the bottom jaw to see how those teeth are worn. Top teeth appear to be worn. Need better pics of both jaws to tell more about age.
I have no idea how old this buck was, but he only field dressed 75 lbs on a ranch in South Texas were mature bucks ranged from 135 lbs to 195 lbs field dressed depending on the time of the year and range conditions. He was very old looking and his jawbones showed it. This ranch was feeding protein for about 7 yrs when this buck was killed.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 05:17 PM

^^^^^

Too old to age by tooth wear observation! We killed three culls this year with teeth almost that bad, STX. I wrote them down as 8+ and left it at that. One of them was in the high 160's in 2011. No one laid eyes on him since then and I called him 5 or 6 then. I killed him a few weeks ago. He scored 92 1/8 roflmao
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 05:35 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
From those pics she still has a lot of front teeth showing. Can't see the bottom jaw to see how those teeth are worn. Top teeth appear to be worn. Need better pics of both jaws to tell more about age.
I have no idea how old this buck was, but he only field dressed 75 lbs on a ranch in South Texas were mature bucks ranged from 135 lbs to 195 lbs field dressed depending on the time of the year and range conditions. He was very old looking and his jawbones showed it. This ranch was feeding protein for about 7 yrs when this buck was killed.

We kill three that way this year^^^ with similar or less as the picture

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 05:56 PM

hopefully I can find the head again when I go back. If so I'll take some better pics. in the lower jaw all her molars were missing except for the very back, and those were worn down pretty good. The corn in her mouth was not cracked.. which makes me thing she was eating it whole but I don't know for sure. She did look super healthy but her head/face looked very mature.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/25/16 08:35 PM

This year, I took a doe with no teeth at all except the front. All she had were gums. She was healthy though, just old. Had two babies in her and was with a middle ager and a fawn when taken.
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 01/27/16 08:44 PM

Maybe she just didn't brush and neglected her dental hygiene. Lol, she prolly over 9
Posted By: Yellowhammer

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/02/16 05:11 PM

The molars are farther back that what you are looking. In the third picture you are actually looking at the top teeth.

I am not sure what the second and 4th pictures are trying to show. No deer have top teeth in the front, and all have a gap between lower incisors and molars as the jawbones pictures show.
Posted By:

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/02/16 07:34 PM

nice shot!

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/03/16 06:59 PM

Found the skull over the weekend. Here's some better pics of her jaw bone, the gums receded a little bit. Look pretty worn down, any better guesses on her age?

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/03/16 07:03 PM

7yr old

not near as old as I thought from the first pic
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/03/16 10:14 PM

My guess was going to be 7-8, but I don't have a lot of experience with deer of that age class.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/03/16 10:56 PM

I would call that a 6 yr old and not a yr older.

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/04/16 03:41 AM

In any case she's at least as old as any deer I've ever killed! Her backstraps look like they came off a good sized buck!
Posted By: heredeer

Re: Shot an old doe (I think).. any guesses on age? - 02/04/16 10:59 PM

whatever the age a good one to take
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum