Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder pen up and runnin!

Posted By: tx hunter

Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 03:16 AM

Got our first feeder pen up this weekend. Used 16 panels which gave us almost an 80' diameter. Not bad for our first one. Turned out well. Gonna work on the water trough system in the next weeks.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 03:17 AM

Lots of good space there..I can tell I'll need to build bigger ones. Thinking more like 10-12 panels..
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 03:19 AM

up
Posted By: kry226

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 08:44 AM

What's the best way to mount the panel that you open so you can back a truck in and still keep the hogs out?

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: kry226
What's the best way to mount the panel that you open so you can back a truck in and still keep the hogs out?

Good question. I'd like to know too. We did a 4' gate just cuz it was easy.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 01:07 PM

I hinge one full 16' panel as my gate opening to get my truck, tractor/shredder or ranger in my pen. On a normal section of panel I put a T-post at the overlap splice of each panel and then one T-post in the middle. For the gate section I will either leave out the middle T-post(if I do this I then make that section opening 10' instead of 16'(I leave the panel/gate 16' and overlap the ends for strength). If I leave the opening 16' I will offset the T-post from middle to allow for a 10' opening to back into the feeder with a vehicle.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 01:17 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I hinge one full 16' panel as my gate opening to get my truck, tractor/shredder or ranger in my pen. On a normal section of panel I put a T-post at the overlap splice of each panel and then one T-post in the middle. For the gate section I will either leave out the middle T-post(if I do this I then make that section opening 10' instead of 16'(I leave the panel/gate 16' and overlap the ends for strength). If I leave the opening 16' I will offset the T-post from middle to allow for a 10' opening to back into the feeder with a vehicle.

Thanks, stx. How to you hinge and latch? Same wire you use to mount the panels to the t-posts or something else?

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 01:24 PM

Thanks, stx. How to you hinge and latch? Same wire you use to mount the panels to the t-posts or something else?

I always overlap one or two staging on each end of the panel/gate opening. I use tie wire that is double to attach the hinge end of the panel/gate to the feed pen. I put a T-post at this hinge location for strength. I do the same on the latch end. The one or two staging overlap will allow a little more strength if an animal is pushing against the outside of the gate to the inside. I hinge/tie the gate in 3 places. Simple, cheap and works well.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 01:36 PM

This is the way I do a splice on a normal section of feed pen.I always overlap one staging("A"). I tie at the "B" and "C" locations in several evenly spaced locations at each splice for each panel section. When I do a gate, I tie only at the "C" or T-post location in 3-4 places evenly spaced. On the opposite side of the gate I tie to another T-post for the latches.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 01:43 PM

Well done. up
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 02:21 PM

Looks great! Perfect size.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 02:40 PM

This is the way I do a splice on a normal section of feed pen.I always overlap one staging("A"). I tie at the "B" and "C" locations in several evenly spaced locations at each splice for each panel section. When I do a gate, I tie only at the "C" or T-post location in 3-4 places evenly spaced. On the opposite side of the gate I tie to another T-post for the latches.

Thank you, Obi Juan. yingyang

And the pen looks great, tx hunter. up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 02:42 PM

I will utilize a old gate and overlap like STX was pointing out...solid quick and can back up to any feeder ...

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 02:44 PM

Thank you, Obi Juan. yingyang

And the pen looks great, tx hunter. up

Also, I use a tie wire tool and concrete tie wires to build the pen. I then go back and use 14 gauge galvanized tie wire to retie each panel to a T-post. Use the tie wire tool makes building a pen quick. One man can build a pen quickly if the location is clear and the materials are on the location.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 02:46 PM

Put one up this year with cattle panels with the top two sections cut off, Roughly 36" tall. Wired end of panel to end of panel and put a t-post at each seam, have had no hog intrusion as of yet. We left one panel only wired in two spots top and bottom for a gate, but haven't used it yet.
Posted By: jbguide

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 02:50 PM

What's the feeder in the corner SniperRAP? I'm thinking mineral. By the way good looking set up.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 03:04 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB

I will utilize a old gate and overlap like STX was pointing out...solid quick and can back up to any feeder ...

Notice who he has opening the gate...:smdh:

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/25/16 03:55 PM

roflmao
Posted By: JRJ6

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/26/16 12:17 AM

Very nice pen! Should last you a long time
Posted By: tlk

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/26/16 12:33 AM

This
Posted By: tlk

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/26/16 12:35 AM

that pen is huge! we use 8 twenty foot panels = I guess the bigger the better

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/26/16 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: tlk
that pen is huge! we use 8 twenty foot panels = I guess the bigger the better

I think also that the bigger the pen is, the better number of shots you can take without fence interference. Different stand heights, etc.
Posted By: STXHO

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 01/27/16 06:08 AM

I like the size. My pens are 15 panels. It gives you enough room for a corn feeder, protein feeder, and a cotton seed feeder. Deer have comfort zones like we humans do. The bigger the pen the more comfortable they will be!

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 02/21/16 01:44 AM

Pen has been up for a month. Have about a dozen photos of deer just outside the pen but none have been brave enough to make the jump yet. Was thinking about shortening the pen by a square or two. Should I give it a little more time?

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 02/21/16 01:49 AM

I would not shorten the pen but leave the gate open for a while if possible. If you have cattle then lay a couple of fence posts or cedar stays across the gate opening at 24" and 36" or so to keep the cattle out.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 02/21/16 02:52 AM

I would not shorten the pen but leave the gate open for a while if possible. If you have cattle then lay a couple of fence posts or cedar stays across the gate opening at 24" and 36" or so to keep the cattle out.

^^^^^^^^^

They will come

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 02/21/16 03:05 PM

Good idea. I'll be doin this next.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 03/12/16 04:14 PM

Finally got em in! T-post across the gate was a great idea. I've got tons more photos like this one.

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 03/12/16 07:38 PM

cheers
Posted By: sbushee

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 03/15/16 04:26 AM

I use barbed wire. Works absolutely great.
Posted By: Loanman

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 03/20/16 01:04 PM

We do 16 panel pens as well and if you are in an area with Mulies, they will pop in, we have noticed that the smaller pens they tend to stay out of according to our pics and personal observations.
Also I use 4 carabiners for the gate, quick and simple, haven't had anything break one yet.
Posted By: lubbockdave

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 03/25/16 01:57 AM

tag for later
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Feeder pen up and runnin! - 03/27/16 03:39 AM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Well done. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum