Texas Hunting Forum

Whitetail hunting with a handgun???

Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 06:36 PM

Has anyone tried hunting deer with a handgun? I have a Colt .45 "six shooter." I was thinking about "rattling-up" a buck next season and using this gun at close range on a buck. I believe I am using 220 grain bullets. How close should the deer be when I shoot? If I get a buck at 30 yards, I know I can hit him behind the front shoulder. Do you think that bullet will expand OK and provide a "quick kill?"
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 06:41 PM

My grandpa has a 7mm-08 pistol that thing is a stud. He dropped a doe from 100 yards with it.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 07:31 PM

I thought it was against the law to hunt deer with a pistol?
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By: coachwhite34
I thought it was against the law to hunt deer with a pistol?

Posted By: YanceyTX_Hunter

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 08:02 PM

Isn't it as long as it's centerfire? I've always used a rifle so seriously asking...
Posted By: Aggieman775

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 08:09 PM

Originally Posted By: YanceyTX_Hunter
Isn't it as long as it's centerfire? I've always used a rifle so seriously asking...

I think it is aslong as centerfire. That one of my grandpas shoots the same shells as my dads rifle.
Posted By: coachwhite34

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Aggieman775

I think it is aslong as centerfire. That one of my grandpas shoots the same shells as my dads rifle.

Well, I called my college roommate who is a GW and he confirmed this as long as it is not a .22
Posted By: Hunter Daddy

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 08:48 PM

I just want more "excitement" back in my hunting. I've killed many deer with rifle, compound bow and crossbow. Now I would like to take one with a pistol and a long bow. Maybe, one day, with a muzzleloader.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 09:16 PM

Why would it not be legal? Do people even read the TPWD manuals they give away for free everywhere you buy a license?

That .45 will kill them farther than you'll be comfortable aiming with open sights, most likely. Its accuracy, combined with yours, will determine your max distance. I have no idea what bullet you're using, so I couldn't tell you anything about that.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 09:17 PM

I think if you're using a good bullet with good velocity that 30 yards might work. The Hornady LEVERevolution 225gr. out of a 4.75" barrel is moving at 903 fps with 407 ft/lbs of energy at 50 yards. That's not outstanding but if you put it in the boiler room it should work, IMO.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 09:18 PM

Originally Posted By: coachwhite34
Originally Posted By: Aggieman775

Well, I called my college roommate who is a GW and he confirmed this as long as it is not a .22

That is incorrect. Any rimfire would be illegal. A .22 centerfire is legal. A .17 HMR is not. Neither example fits your statement.
Posted By: RafterH

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 09:51 PM

Have hunted and continue to hunt with a 45 Colt NM Blackhawk and 45 Colt Uberti. Spend a lot of time practicing and know YOUR practical range.

Have taken deer and coyotes so far. This is addicting. I use 250 gr Hard Cast at about 900 FPS in both and sometimes step them up to 1200 fps in the Ruger.

I will shoot about 500 rounds over the summer prior to deer season. I also practice a lot all year, but really get serious in the summer. My practical range with both is 50 yards. Have shot paper out to 100, but not ready to shoot game that far.

Have fun with it.
Posted By: poisonivie

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 10:07 PM

You don't need expansion in a 45. The hole is big enough. I shot a doe with a 45LC in a Uberti Cattleman. It completely gelled her insides. I really wanted to see the boolit but IDK where it went after it passed the off shoulder. BTW, for you internet game wardens, it didn't cross my fence line.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 10:26 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter Daddy
I just want more "excitement" back in my hunting. I've killed many deer with rifle, compound bow and crossbow. Now I would like to take one with a pistol and a long bow. Maybe, one day, with a muzzleloader.

Make you a 'whitetail doe' suit to wear out in field (packing your pistol). Sprinkle on a little 'doe estrus' perfume. . . roflmao

should generate some 'excitement' for ya roflmao
Posted By: MClark

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 11:03 PM

The land owner where I hunt uses a 40 S&W on whitetail if the do not get out of the way of the tractor.
Shoot and Scoop.

Mark
Posted By: slow944

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/20/16 11:31 PM

I used to have a Ruger 454 casull that I ran 45LC with either a 250gr or 300gr Barnes XTP bullets thru. With a Long Eye Relief scope on it I was good out to 100yds easy. But as stated above you have to practice. Never shot a deer with it, but they were deadly on hogs.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/21/16 12:21 AM

I took a doe about 20 or so years ago with my DW 357 Maximum (not magnum) at about 50-55 yards w/180 gr, like hitting her with a sledge hammer ... just to prove a point to my dad ... LOL ... wish I could find ammo for it now!
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/21/16 02:55 AM

On that Mad Max aka 357 Maximum it pays to handload, 180gr bullets are the ticket with it with my preference being Nosler partition or Swift A-Frame.

Have taken a few deer and hogs with handguns in 357Sig, 357Mag, 357Max, 44 special, 44 mag and 7-30 Waters. Shortest shot 7 yards longest 225 yards. Practice a lot, learn your guns and your limitations with it and enjoy.

The recommendation above of hard cast bullets is spot on IMO. Those bullets are going to punch a large hole anyway and one with a large flat meplate sure cause a lot of damage as they bludgeon their way through and penetration is not an issue with them unless you just do not like a bullet going through the deer.

Posted By: PMK

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/21/16 04:34 PM

Originally Posted By: kmon1
On that Mad Max aka 357 Maximum it pays to handload, 180gr bullets are the ticket with it with my preference being Nosler partition or Swift A-Frame.

Have taken a few deer and hogs with handguns in 357Sig, 357Mag, 357Max, 44 special, 44 mag and 7-30 Waters. Shortest shot 7 yards longest 225 yards. Practice a lot, learn your guns and your limitations with it and enjoy.

The recommendation above of hard cast bullets is spot on IMO. Those bullets are going to punch a large hole anyway and one with a large flat meplate sure cause a lot of damage as they bludgeon their way through and penetration is not an issue with them unless you just do not like a bullet going through the deer.

my son (ZK-315 here on THF) is getting into handloading. Maybe he could pick your brain on the loads you have developed that work for a 357 Maximum??? I found a place and bought 100 rounds of new brass but I don't load.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/21/16 05:03 PM

I have taken deer with the following:
Mod 19 S&W
Mod 57
Mod 29
JP Sauer & Sohn 45 LC
Freedom Arms 454
Rem XP 100 in 17 fireball
TC Encore in 223, 243 and 30 Herrett

I think that's all.
Most were here in Texas. Took a couple in Missouri as well as Indiana.

All of them work if you do your part and put them in the right spot. Just like any other firearm.

Most devastating knock-down was with the 41 Mag and the Casull. Both were inside of 50 yards on Missouri does. Both does acted like they were hit by a pick-up - rolling them over not just knocking them down. Only one that ran any distance was the one hit with the 223 Encore. Ran about 30 yards.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/21/16 10:11 PM

I like to shoot does with my 221 fireball. It does add excitement to your hunt. I have a friend that shoots a 45 70 in a pistol and he is really good with it.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/21/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: PMK
Originally Posted By: kmon1

my son (ZK-315 here on THF) is getting into handloading. Maybe he could pick your brain on the loads you have developed that work for a 357 Maximum??? I found a place and bought 100 rounds of new brass but I don't load.

Sure, the load I use in the Ruger is Nosler 180gr partition with 18gr of Accurate 5744 powder set off by a CCI 450 powder. The Rugers were known to have top strap flame cutting issues and an extruded powder reduces the chance of that over the ball powders. There are powders that will get you more velocity but have found that load is accurate in my Ruger and does well on deer and pigs.

Every manual and article I have read on reloading the 357Max calls for small rifle primers to be used and Accurate data uses CCI 450 which is their magnum SRP. It is also one of the primers.

Accurate Data http://www.accuratepowder.com/load-data/

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/22/16 12:55 AM

Kmon, what kind of velocity do you get out of that and what length barrel?

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/22/16 04:01 PM

just below 1500 from the ruger with the 15 inch barrel. Sold the Contender 14 inch barrel a few years ago and with it could get to 1700 easily enough. Could go hotter in the Ruger but that load shoots well and so far no detectable flame cutting if the top strap.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/22/16 04:39 PM

Sounds like fun.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/22/16 09:12 PM

Have been handgun hunting deer for over 25 years in a number of states. Try to limit it to 50 yds or less with open sights or up to 200 yds with a scope. .44 magnum has worked well with 240 grain rounds.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/23/16 01:31 PM

Allright, what is that thing? Gotta know.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/23/16 03:33 PM

I want to know, too. Looks pretty awesome.
Posted By: Rembrandt

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/23/16 04:13 PM

.44 Magnum Desert Eagle.....w/14" barrel. Furthest shot was on Antelope at 200yds. Added a custom under lug to the barrel that enables the addition of a bipod if needed. For shorter ranges (50yds or less) use a six inch barrel and open sights.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/23/16 04:22 PM

That's wild.

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/23/16 09:52 PM

Badarse
Posted By: Revoman

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/24/16 03:23 PM

Practice practice and go have some fun
Posted By: Fishoutdoors2016

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/28/16 01:22 AM

Never have shot a deer with a pistol but know of many people who have done so.
Posted By: allterrain

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/29/16 01:29 AM

My very 1st deer was taken with a 7.5 inch barrel single action ruger 45 and some very high powered souped up fire breathing 250 grain jacketed hollow points. The impact was so violent it spun the deer a full 180 degrees. I have killed many a beer can in the past, a large east texas rabbit, a couple of pigs. Pistol hunting is great.
Posted By: Lone Ranger

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/29/16 04:25 AM

I have been hunting deer with a handgun for over 30 years. I have taken many deer with 44 mag, 454 Casull, 460 S&W and 30/06 in a TC Encore pistol. Also black bear, hogs, bobcats and coyotes. If you are using open sights try to limit your shots to 50 yards or less. A good variable scope will pretty much double your range right off the bat. The main thing is trigger control and ALWAYS use a good rest, shooting stick etc.

Using a handgun is not as difficult as a bow but much harder and more exciting than a rifle. Good luck!
Posted By: Red Cloud

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 01/29/16 04:53 PM

Handgun hunting is very enjoyable, rewarding and can be very challenging. I've been fortunate to take deer, mountain lion (without dogs or bait) an impala in Africa and coyotes with my .44 Mag. and my .357 Mag. Know your weapon! and practice your butt off. Trajectory, study it.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/03/16 09:45 PM

I've killed a few with my Sig, and one with my 1911 back in the day.... had to testify in court, was going to be late getting to camp on opening day... he plead out, so I got to deer camp about 2pm, unannounced, as there was crowd sitting around the table (wire reel)... I asked... Is anyone going to shoot that deer? and pointed about 30 yards from them... as they moved for rifles, I dropped her from kneeling at the table... I'd been in camp about 90 seconds...
Posted By: TreeBass

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/04/16 02:16 PM

Originally Posted By: brianl
I like to shoot does with my 221 fireball. It does add excitement to your hunt. I have a friend that shoots a 45 70 in a pistol and he is really good with it.

I have a .221 fireball and .223 barrel for my TC contender (It may be up for sale shortly) that has taken down many deer in years past

Nothing quite like taking an animal with a pistol up
Posted By: Old Rabbit

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/05/16 12:12 AM

In my mid 20's I had a Thompson Contender Super 14 in 35 Remington. It would lay them down but sure was a lot to handle. I finally traded to someone with more shoulder and wrist than I had. It was way more accurate than I could hold it.
Sure do like your 44 Mag rig.
Posted By: bfrog5

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/08/16 03:52 AM

I want the new Glock 40 10mm for this reason
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/08/16 05:45 PM

Originally Posted By: bfrog5
I want the new Glock 40 10mm for this reason

x2
Posted By: Hunt n Fish

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/10/16 01:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Old Rabbit
In my mid 20's I had a Thompson Contender Super 14 in 35 Remington. It would lay them down but sure was a lot to handle. I finally traded to someone with more shoulder and wrist than I had. It was way more accurate than I could hold it.
Sure do like your 44 Mag rig.

I have a T/C in .35 Rem with a 14" bbl. It's a cannon but I've put down a bunch of deer at 100+ yds. Durn thing should've come with tie down chains and a gun crew.....but I like it! loser8

....also have a 16" .223 bbl and a 10" .44 mag bbl. Like them too! That .223 is a hog killing machine. up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/11/16 01:28 AM

Starting to look at Scopes now ....Why did I read this thread bang bang

Posted By: Redskins4ever

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/11/16 10:55 PM

didn't think it was legal for a handgun
Posted By: rickym

Re: Whitetail hunting with a handgun??? - 02/11/16 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Redskins4ever
didn't think it was legal for a handgun

Have you read the handbook that comes with your license?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum