Texas Hunting Forum

Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio?

Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/19/16 09:44 PM

I have processed my own deer for a long time and think I want to try a processor. Does anyone have a good suggestion on who to use? I would like it to be in the Boerne and San Antonio area. Kerrville area would work too. Thanks in advance!
Posted By: therancher

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/19/16 09:56 PM

I'd drive 30 minutes and go to Boo's. Get her to cure you some backstrap. Best quality and value I've found.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/19/16 10:14 PM

I would avoid Texas Big Game Processing in SA.

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/19/16 10:15 PM

Originally Posted By: therancher
I'd drive 30 minutes and go to Boo's. Get her to cure you some backstrap. Best quality and value I've found.

Thanks rancher, I never heard of these people and have driven by them plenty! Gonna have to try that cured backstrap
Posted By: BaffinBoy

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 12:20 AM

Schotts in Helotes is amazing. Good work and good prices. Go out Bandera Rd outside 1604 and it's the Giant gas station/meat market/taxidermy/deer processor on the left.
Posted By: therancher

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: friocountyhunts
Originally Posted By: therancher

Thanks rancher, I never heard of these people and have driven by them plenty! Gonna have to try that cured backstrap

She makes a smoked baked chunk jerky that's awesome too.

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 01:24 AM

Originally Posted By: BaffinBoy
Schotts in Helotes is amazing. Good work and good prices. Go out Bandera Rd outside 1604 and it's the Giant gas station/meat market/taxidermy/deer processor on the left.

I got a PM saying someone would probably suggest this place and to be wary. Any particular product of theirs that you would suggest? Thanks!
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 02:22 AM

I would second Schott's, they have chopped steak and buck sticks that are pretty good. If you wanna stay in Kerrville K & G Meat market has some good stuff as well. A buddy gave me some pan sausage, steak, and summer sausage and its all pretty good too!

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 03:24 PM

Thanks everyone. I see a Kliens here in Boerne. I haven't heard much about them on here.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 03:39 PM

I like Schotts processing, but they pool whitetail in a group and axis in another group.
I do not want to knock them, they are good guys and put out a good product. But chances are that you will not get your deer unless it is an exotic other than whitetail or axis.
I understand why they have to do this because of the volume of deer they do, it keeps price down. I bet if you ask for your deer to be done separately they will do it, maybe for a few extra dollars.
I also like Eddie's on the north side of San Antonio, good guys there too.
Stay away from Spengler's in Helotes (if he is in buisiness any more)

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 04:36 PM

Gracias Simple Searcher!
I want to eat my own deer as no one ever knows the condition of someone else's deer.
Posted By: Harrier

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Any particular reason? They're close to where I live. I've had taxidermy done there but not meat processing.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 10:24 PM

Cow Creek is the standard in the Boerne area
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 10:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Harrier
Originally Posted By: kdkane1971

Any particular reason? They're close to where I live. I've had taxidermy done there but not meat processing.

I've been shorted meat more than once, and have found multiple bone and bullet fragments in my meat, an issue I rarely have with the current processor I use. I have also had multiple issues with taxidermy being done, and I have an animal there now which I delivered 2 years ago next month and I am still waiting for it to be completed.

Re: Deer processors near Boerne/San Antonio? - 01/20/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: John Humbert
Cow Creek is the standard in the Boerne area

Thanks! I will look into this
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum