Texas Hunting Forum

Fisher County

Posted By: rp2987

Fisher County - 01/18/16 04:10 PM

We are losing our lease after this year due to landowner selling the land. I am looking at a place in Fisher county, west of Roby. I have always hunted in the hill country, so I don't know much about this area. Has anyone ever hunted around there?
Posted By: gcrane

Re: Fisher County - 01/18/16 10:09 PM

Little brother has a ranch in nearby Rotan. Every season there are very good whitetail bucks, usually one or two nice mule deer bucks, and plenty of hogs. His place is surrounded by cotton fields.
Posted By: breal

Re: Fisher County - 01/19/16 02:18 AM

Great part of Texas to shoot a Big Buck. Just didn't like the one buck tag. Cull bucks couldn't be shot or I guess they could but that means your done. Fisher county was really good to us.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Fisher County - 01/19/16 02:21 AM

Fisher was tough this year. Always more pigs than deer.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Fisher County - 01/19/16 03:06 AM

Is this the lease form the DMN? If so, please post what you think of it, after you see it. I called the contact person, and the guy seemed legit. Good luck.
Posted By: Spades

Re: Fisher County - 01/19/16 08:12 PM

Fisher was really tough this year like Scalebuster said. Bad ice storm, LOTS of groceries and even more hogs. You won't see the numbers up there but if you are patient you may see a good one depending on where you are. Water is a HUGE factor. I like it being a one buck county, lets em get older.
Posted By: Westtexan1

Re: Fisher County - 01/21/16 07:38 PM

Drought has really dwindled the deer population in Fisher. 80% reductions on some line counts. It will take some time to build populations back up. Lots of hog as has been mentioned. Lots of coyotes too. I have hunted Fisher for 20 years and you may stumble across a 150-160 but generally 130-140 is going the biggest you'll see on an infrequent basis unless your on one of the bigger ranches with good management.
Posted By: luke0872

Re: Fisher County - 02/09/16 02:12 AM

I hunt both jones and fisher county. Can be good bucks depending where you're at and who your neighbors are...but there is a lot of pressure around there nowadays with most people not letting things walk so you see less and less 150''+ size deer. Lots of pigs and yotes. Drought hurt us bad as well. 2011 was a bad year with almost no fawns.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum