Texas Hunting Forum

Tagging a Deer

Posted By: Ron H

Tagging a Deer - 01/09/16 11:04 PM

I have the biggest challenge complying with the tag requirements. I wrote on the tag with a ball point pen and by the time I got it back to camp it had smeared. Anybody have a secret way to handle this?
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/09/16 11:06 PM

I use a fine print permanent marker
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/09/16 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
I use a fine print permanent marker

Yep, plus they work better in cold weather.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/09/16 11:14 PM

Permanent markers, especially the fine points, dry out so quick, you'd have to buy a new one at the beginning of every season. The cheapest ball points don't smear that easy, like the kind they give away. You can't use the nice gel ones on tags; they smear if you look at them wrong.
Posted By: TimOub007

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/09/16 11:15 PM

Yep, Sharpie.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/09/16 11:53 PM

Sharpy and then into a zip-lock bag then zip tie onto deer.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 12:04 AM

+1 on the cheap ballpoint.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 12:17 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks
+1 on the cheap ballpoint.

Thankya. Thankyaverymuch.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 12:49 AM

Sharpie. Buy a new one every September for my backpack, much cheaper than a fine.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 01:02 AM

another vote for the cheap ones.
Posted By: Halfadozen

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Creekrunner
Permanent markers, especially the fine points, dry out so quick, you'd have to buy a new one at the beginning of every season. The cheapest ball points don't smear that easy, like the kind they give away. You can't use the nice gel ones on tags; they smear if you look at them wrong.

Yes you are spot on. But I keep mine in a ziploc bag with a few drops of water. Zip it shut and it doesn't dry out a bit. The ball points just gum up and won't write on tags because of the coating.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 02:46 AM

I keep plastic sandwich bags in my cleaning kit. I fill out the tag and drop in the bag then electrical tape the bag/tag to the leg or antler. Never have any issues and GW can read tag without removing it.
Posted By: Ron H

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 03:29 AM

I like this idea. I keep bags at the trailer.
Posted By: bp3

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 04:14 AM

Tags what is this tags you speak of. walking
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
I keep plastic sandwich bags in my cleaning kit. I fill out the tag and drop in the bag then electrical tape the bag/tag to the leg or antler. Never have any issues and GW can read tag without removing it.

Great idea.
Posted By: Roll-Tide

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/10/16 09:36 PM

I fill mine out at camp. Then head to stand and look for that type of deer. Saves time, plus makes hunting more fun.
Posted By: ILikeRugers2

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 03:21 AM

Originally Posted By: Roll-Tide
I fill mine out at camp. Then head to stand and look for that type of deer. Saves time, plus makes hunting more fun.

That does sound fun! cheers
Posted By: SouthWestIron

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 03:51 AM

Word to the wise make sure you always tag in the field. Failure to tag in the field is a ticket that is not fun. It will ruin your hunt.
Posted By: KG68

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 04:00 AM

Originally Posted By: bp3
Tags what is this tags you speak of. walking

No wait. Maybe I haven't killed a deer since 1995 unless it was hung in a fence. confused2 .
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 04:05 AM

I rely on leaving multiple cheap pens and fine tip sharpies scattered throughout my truck and gear. It is organized chaos.

Box of gloves and gallon size bags in the toolbox help too.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 01:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Halfadozen
Originally Posted By: Creekrunner

Yes you are spot on. But I keep mine in a ziploc bag with a few drops of water. Zip it shut and it doesn't dry out a bit. The ball points just gum up and won't write on tags because of the coating.

Been using the cheap ballpoint for 20 years and never had a problem.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 03:18 PM

I use pencil or gel pen so I can reuse the tag.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 03:32 PM

Originally Posted By: HuntnFly67
I use pencil or gel pen so I can reuse the tag.

loser8
Posted By: gaharris

Re: Tagging a Deer - 01/11/16 03:44 PM

Have you ever tried to fill out a Texas deer tag at night (lots of bucks are killed just before dark), when it'd cold out.
First you need a pen that will work without smearing, then you need a small pair of scissors or a small knife to cut out the date information, by the way if you are over 40 you probably need reading glasses, so make sure you bring them with you, then you need a zip tie or string and that is if you can find the darn hole in the tag that it's suppose to go thru.
And if your lucky enough to get all that accomplished in the dark, while holding your flashlight in one hand or using a small hat light, then you can fill out your log information with the same non-smearing pen.
All this at night, in the field because you are not suppose to transport your deer anywhere until it is legally and properly tagged.
Usually you do this after you have already gutted your deer so your hands are all bloody and/or cold.

Ya sure gotta think as smart as the TPWD is they could think of a more user friendly tagging system, wouldn't ya.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum