Texas Hunting Forum

Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off!

Posted By: ETxHntr

Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:13 PM

Kind of long, but....
This was the first picture of many, that I got of this deer. I was only able to hunt maybe 3 times, before Thanksgiving, due to work. Anyone who hunts the Pineywoods of East Texas knows that bucks can be VERY hard to come by after the first couple of weeks of the season.
I had seen several decent bucks prior to getting this picture, and had a couple of what I would consider to be shooters. I had no idea that this buck was even out there. No other lease members had seen him before either. When I got this first pic, I knew that I really wanted this buck, but he was strictly nocturnal, and only showed up every couple of days. Being so late in the season, I didn't know if I even had a chance to locate his main area, let alone see him in person. I set up three additional trail cams, in different areas, in hopes of locating his home area. After two weekends of moving cameras and capturing several more pictures of him, I finally found the hot spot. Not just for this buck, but many bucks, all using the same ridge and small (thick) bottom as their hide out. All night time pictures, but LOTS of buck activity. I knew I was close to their bedding area, because I was getting pics of several bucks, within a few minutes of dark, everyday.
With the warm weather and full moon, I didn't know if it would ever happen. I hunted the mornings in hopes of catching him returning to bed, but was never able to see him.

Finally with this last cold front, there was some deer activity just after first light. Monday morning I was in my climber before daylight, on the edge of the thicket where the bucks have been hanging out. I had a 16 inch 9 point cross through the open timber at about 90 yards, followed by a small 6 point. It was almost sickening to watch that 9 point walk through, but I was holding on to the thought that just maybe Ol Browtine would show up....
Yesterday morning was perfect. Cold with no wind. I was in my tree about 45 minutes before daylight. I had actually almost made my mind up to shoot the first legal buck I saw... at this point it is not about hunting a big buck, but really ANY buck. The 9 point from the day before was still bothering me, and I'm already thinking about muzzleloader season and at least maybe getting another doe.
Just after daylight, a doe popped up out of the bottom, headed straight toward me. I watched the doe until she was about 40 yards from me. She stopped under a large oak and was just milling around looking for acorns. She was there for maybe 5 minutes, when she threw her head up and went on full alert. At that point I started looking back down toward the bottom. Immediately I saw movement at about 120 yards. A few seconds later a buck trotted out into the open timber. After a quick look through my binoculars, I knew it was him!
The rest is just a blur. A few more steps and he was in a small opening. One shot to the base of the neck and he was down!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:17 PM

Congrats on an outstanding buck! up What is even more outstanding is that you were thinking outside the box and moving cameras to find that bucks core area. Hunting that buck instead of being hunted by that buck. flehan cheers
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:19 PM

Very nice looking east Texas buck!! Congrats!
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:19 PM

Nice deer, and great tines. It is cool when you get the one that you have been looking for, congrats.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Congrats on an outstanding buck! up What is even more outstanding is that you were thinking outside the box and moving cameras to find that bucks core area. Hunting that buck instead of being hunted by that buck. flehan cheers

Agreed!

Congratulations!
Posted By: tdecker22

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:45 PM

Awesome buck
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher
Nice deer, and great tines. It is cool when you get the one that you have been looking for, congrats.

^^^^
This

Hard work definitely paid off!
Posted By: billyhunt

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:49 PM

Very nice!! Congrats!! cheers
Posted By: Hunter-Steve

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 05:57 PM

You earned that! Congrats!!!
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 06:38 PM

Love brow tines. Nice one, how long are those brow tines 6-7 inches.
Posted By: clu

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 06:47 PM

Congrats on a fine buck! I, like S.A. Hunter, love long brow tines! I killed a buck 4 years ago with 13 inch G2s but only 2-3 inch brows. I'd give up a couple of inches on the G2s to have longer brows. That one on the right has to be near 8 inches long, eh???
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 06:48 PM

Excellent deer
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: billyhunt
Very nice!! Congrats!! cheers
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 06:52 PM

cheers
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 07:04 PM

up texas
Posted By: chemdawg

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 07:07 PM

that a nice deer I love notipical if that even counts as one either way good nice job
Posted By: Western

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 09:14 PM

Great buck and great story. up
Posted By: NMGW

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By: ddmm
Very nice looking east Texas buck!! Congrats!

up
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 09:24 PM

Outstanding Sir up

Great Buck...
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 09:42 PM

cheers
Posted By: TXW

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 09:45 PM

Originally Posted By: SniperRAB
Outstanding Sir up

Great Buck...
Posted By: DustyWyoming

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 09:51 PM

congrats!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 10:02 PM

couldn't of said it better

Well Done!
Posted By: WLR Hunter

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 11:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

couldn't of said it better

Well Done!

NICE! up
Posted By: BOONER

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 11:24 PM

Beautiful buck! Congrats and thanks for sharing your story.
Posted By: colt45-90

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 11:26 PM

great job, thanks for sharing

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 11:52 PM

the brow tines were 7-1/8 and 7-5/8
G2s were 12-2/8 and 12-6/8
Posted By: majekman

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 11:52 PM

Awesome buck!! And one of the best write ups I've read on here.
Major props
cheers

Re: Brow Tines!... Persistance Paid Off! - 12/30/15 11:57 PM

Thanks everyone. This particular deer actually seems like an accomplishment, not just another dead deer.
I quit counting the deer I killed, a long time ago. This is not the biggest, but is definitely special.
Thanks again!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum