Texas Hunting Forum

Late season rattling

Posted By: clu

Late season rattling - 12/29/15 02:57 PM

I've never rattled before and just bought some rattling antlers. I was wondering if anyone has had luck with rattling this late in the season???
Posted By: rickym

Re: Late season rattling - 12/29/15 03:01 PM

Depends what part of the state you hunt

Re: Late season rattling - 12/29/15 03:03 PM

Centex so we are on the last few days of the season.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Late season rattling - 12/29/15 04:36 PM

The best times to rattle are early and late season. Go for it! up
Posted By: bobcat1

Re: Late season rattling - 12/29/15 11:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
The best times to rattle are early and late season. Go for it! up
This! They are looking for that one last hot doe.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Late season rattling - 12/30/15 12:53 AM

It won't hurt to try. Never know what will show up.
Posted By: Family Style

Re: Late season rattling - 12/30/15 01:54 AM

Early in the season before the does go into heat. A good buck won't leave a hot doe to go to a fight. He will keep another buck off his doe if he is man enough though.
Posted By: Family Style

Re: Late season rattling - 12/30/15 02:43 AM

The best way to learn what works is get up high in a blind so you can see a long way. Have some one below you rattle. Watch what goes on.
Two differant outings that I learned a great deal from.
1. I was sitting in a blind and had a buck and doe bedding 100 yard in front of me. They would get up occasionally but would not move from the brush. My son started rattling about 75yds from behind my blind. Buck never moved. My son moved right underneath my blind. Buck stood up and moved about 25 yards. That was it. He would not leave the doe. He did die that morning because he did move that 25 yards. But he did not leave the doe.
2. I was watching a very large buck with a doe from a very high blind. The buck was hands down the ruler of the field. There were other bucks around but they would not challenge Mr. big buck. My son started rattling right under my blind this time. The big buck never left the doe or acted intrested in the rattling. The little guys came running. One walked right up to the same Brush my son eventually wound up rattling from.
The only time I ever can get a bigger deer to engage is when a doe is not involved..

Re: Late season rattling - 12/30/15 03:10 AM

Well, I tried rattling by holding the rattling antlers outside the window of my blind. I had no success. All we saw today were 11 does and a small 6 pointer. Nothing came for the horns although the three does by the feeder were absolutely not bothered by them at all.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum