Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas rut

Posted By: catsquirrel

South Texas rut - 12/26/15 05:34 PM

Any rut activity in deep south Texas yet? Corpus to Brownsville
Posted By: javman

Re: South Texas rut - 12/26/15 05:37 PM

Was just starting last weekend. Saw some does chasing off yearlings and bucks making scrapes and a few mating.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: South Texas rut - 12/31/15 05:26 PM

I'm out here today. I've seen the usual activity. Doe with their yearlings. Haven't seen any rutting, although all the bucks we've seen the last month and a half have all been by themselves.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: South Texas rut - 12/31/15 10:01 PM

full blown rut in southern Live Oak County right now
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: South Texas rut - 12/31/15 10:14 PM

Grosvenor- if i remember you are close to Dinero right? Man that is music to my ears was wondering when it was going to kick off. Glad ill be there bright and early tomorrow.

Re: South Texas rut - 12/31/15 10:36 PM

By the way, I'm hunting in Duval and Starr Counties c
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: South Texas rut - 01/01/16 02:02 AM

Captain Luke- you haven't seen any rut activity yet to this point either? I am in South Live Oak county as well and was there from Friday to Tuesday and from what I saw it wasn't looking to good. Does still all with their yearlings all the nubbin bucks were flying solo though so I figured had to be on its way. Also saw a few of my 3.5 year old bucks stained up on their hocks but then they would eat corn right next to a group of does and not pay them any attention. Very weird year to say the least.

Re: South Texas rut - 01/01/16 04:27 AM

The nubbins were still with their mommas today too. I killed a cull 5 pointer two weeks ago, and his hocks were very stained though.

Re: South Texas rut - 01/01/16 04:29 AM

Originally Posted By: Ricochet83
Captain Luke- you haven't seen any rut activity yet to this point either? I am in South Live Oak county as well and was there from Friday to Tuesday and from what I saw it wasn't looking to good. Does still all with their yearlings all the nubbin bucks were flying solo though so I figured had to be on its way. Also saw a few of my 3.5 year old bucks stained up on their hocks but then they would eat corn right next to a group of does and not pay them any attention. Very weird year to say the least.

You kinda look like Lupio Rivera. Lol
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: South Texas rut - 01/07/16 03:03 PM

2 weekends left for the south zone, any signs of rut still going on? I swear I never saw a real rut happen this year. very disappointed! what are yalls thoughts? could rut still be on?
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: South Texas rut - 01/07/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthTXhunter07
2 weekends left for the south zone, any signs of rut still going on? I swear I never saw a real rut happen this year. very disappointed! what are yalls thoughts? could rut still be on?

In my opinion it's the absolute best time to be in the South Texas brush. They're not chasing as much, but you can still rattle them in and they're hungry.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: South Texas rut - 01/07/16 03:19 PM

As of last weekend the rut in Duval Co. was still present maybe not at its peak anymore, but still plenty of bucks chasing.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: South Texas rut - 01/07/16 03:50 PM

Frio county is still showing signs of the rut. Seeing a lot of movement of bucks
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: South Texas rut - 01/07/16 03:51 PM

Still trickling in Webb
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: South Texas rut - 01/07/16 03:55 PM

In eastern La Salle the first week of the year was the best time to rattle in a buck passed the peak of the rut. They are run down and still eager to find that last doe. They will come charging in if you are at the right place at the right time. I still seen mature bucks moving mid-day two days ago in Western Goliad County. Really late in the year for this area to see that.
Posted By: southtexascracker

Re: South Texas rut - 01/08/16 03:42 AM

We are right in the middle of the good stuff down here.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum