Texas Hunting Forum

school me on cold fronts

Posted By: krazy kris

school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 02:52 PM

I've always been told to hunt the fronts, but everytime I do the wind keeps em down. I've been trying to decide to go or not since yesterday.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 03:30 PM

Go. The answer is always go.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 03:53 PM

How many deer have you killed from your house?
Posted By: Western

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Around 7 peep
Posted By: Western

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 04:05 PM

I agree with what they said though, your odds are much better if you are at the lease/land (I live where I hunt so,,

Deer know when a front is coming, they may not feed out in the middle of an open field in 30mph winds, but they will be somewhere. IMO, the best times are 2nd -3rd day during a lasting cold front as we look to have coming this week. Deer will have to keep their energy levels up and will feed for best return ratios they can get, good corn and crops provide easy carbs. I see deer earlier in the afternoons and generally later in the am during extended cold.

If you have the time off, I'd go for sure. This looks to be the hardest weather we have had since last winter.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 04:45 PM

Thanks. Judging by my weather app it's supposed to be blowing 20-25 constant for the next 2 days.I think I'm gonna go Monday if the ice/snow isn't too bad.
Posted By: huntincoach

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 05:07 PM

The last time I hunted ice and snow I got shut out. When I checked the cameras the next week, once the sun came out and the ice was melting, I was covered up with deer. So... I'm Hunting all day Mon and Tues AM.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 10:15 PM

As I understand it, deer can sense when the barometric pressure is changing relatively quickly, which happens just before and after a front moves through the area. I agree with those who say the first clear and cold morning or evening after a front passes is best because you have two things working in your favor. That is, cold temperatures to make them move in order to eat, and rising barometric pressure to make them more active in doing it.

My favorite time to hunt a food plot is the first cold evening after a front passes and when the wind is calm or close to it. And likewise, I seem to have better luck with feeders during the first calm and frosty morning after a front.
Posted By: teamtigers34

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/26/15 11:41 PM

When the pressure is 30 or above the Bucks will be on there feet. They always move when it's above 30 count on it.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/27/15 01:53 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Kind of gets right to the point
Posted By: buck_hunter

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/27/15 01:59 PM

I'm in the blind now in Ozona near Sheffield... Wind is blowing hard, sleeting and icing.. Deer are moving. It isn't bothering them to much.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/27/15 02:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Western
I agree with what they said though, your odds are much better if you are at the lease/land (I live where I hunt so,,

Deer know when a front is coming, they may not feed out in the middle of an open field in 30mph winds, but they will be somewhere. IMO, the best times are 2nd -3rd day during a lasting cold front as we look to have coming this week. Deer will have to keep their energy levels up and will feed for best return ratios they can get, good corn and crops provide easy carbs. I see deer earlier in the afternoons and generally later in the am during extended cold.

If you have the time off, I'd go for sure. This looks to be the hardest weather we have had since last winter.

Good summary. My best results are after the initial blast. As soon as the wind lays or the worst if the ice, sleet stops those deer will be moving. It takes a lot of energy to maintain body temperature in really cold weather. And, if you're a deer it is much more fun to run and play while wearing a heavy coat when it's cold out.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: school me on cold fronts - 12/27/15 03:02 PM

I've had my best luck hunting just after precipitation ends and then again once winds lay down.

I've always had great luck hunting snow and ice, but not by just sitting in a stand. Get out and spot and stalk. Pretty easy to see where they have been and very easy to see movement. Of course, they can see you as well, but they always can. White out levels the playing field if you do it right.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum