Texas Hunting Forum

Hunting near Ranger, TX

Posted By: Tipps

Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 06:38 PM

Believe this is Eastland County. Regardless, buddy of mine was telling me he may have found a lease for himself near Ranger, and I just wanted to see if it was any good in this area because he was asking me. I imagine there are lots of deer, but was wondering if any of you guys see good deer around here, or are there any pigs in the area, any turkeys, etc.? Appreciate any help, I'll relay what i hear to him.
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 06:55 PM

The lease I am on is about 30 or so minutes South of Ranger in Eastland county
Deer are not bad, hogs are over running our lease
Not sure just how many cams are out there, but everyone sees LOTS of hogs, and many are very good sized
I think at last count, we had like 13-15 feeders going, I'm sure that helps some lol
Posted By: Tye

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 08:22 PM

Plenty of hogs, deer and pigs. A big deer will score in the 130/140s. ARs have helped the county out for sure.

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 08:53 PM

appreciate the info
Posted By: rattler03

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 09:08 PM

I hunted a little west of there in south Stephens county last season, probably less than 25 miles away. I liked the lease, and would still be on it if not for a death in the landowner's family, a new stepson that took over the owner's role of dealing with the hunters, a $400 price increase and them putting the property up for sale. It was a good lease hunting wise but there was too much drama and unknown questions about the future to justify staying.

The deer numbers were lower than I expected (probably due to poor fawn crops due to the drought between 2010 and early 2014). I had multiple sits in the stand where I didn't see a single deer. I never saw any real nice bucks, but I got a few pictures of 2 pretty nice ones. They've taken some nice deer on that lease before, though, with 130s-145s possible and capable of producing a rare deer that might flirt with the mid-150s. Nocturnal deer and a lot of hunting pressure were a bit of a problem, and I wouldn't expect to take a big buck every year. But all in all it wasn't a bad property. We had turkeys and hogs, but I didn't seem to think the hogs were much of an issue or too plentiful. But, every property is different, so if the property has water and some good cover and isn't way over-priced I'd probably take it.
Posted By: Hunt Dog

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 09:38 PM

I used to Dove hunt out near Ranger. Used to see a lot of deer close to dark. So there's that as well.
Posted By: scalebuster

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/21/15 09:54 PM

North of ranger is better than south.

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/22/15 03:49 PM

Thank y'all
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/22/15 04:32 PM

I hunted the first or second exit off I-20 just as you come over Ranger Hill, the prop was south of I-20 about 10 miles. Very rugged terrain, lots and lots of cedars taking over the place, and swa very little deer (like 2 the entire season). The place we hunted was a fun group of people, and the landowner hunted on the place also but she had her spot and thats all she cared about. She was one heck of a cook. It's hard to pass on 1000 acres with a bunk house, electric, water, and TV, but not seeing any deer made me move on
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/22/15 10:52 PM

I own a little spot just west of Ranger. A lot of daytime activity keep the deer for the most part nocturnal. Im out here right now trying to see how they act when its not a weekend. Deer population is ok, turkey is very low, hogs are none, coyotes and bobcats are everywhere, and coons are like the plague.
Posted By: Cattleman

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/22/15 11:49 PM

I can take care of those coyotes bobcats and coons for you.
Posted By: krazy kris

Re: Hunting near Ranger, TX - 12/23/15 01:05 AM

I will be after deer season if you want to join in on the fun you're more than welcome to.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum