Texas Hunting Forum

Thoughts on Protein

Posted By: titan2232

Thoughts on Protein - 12/17/15 05:29 PM

It's been a struggle to keep our protein feeders full (500 pounds consumed every 3 weeks) so I've decided to go with a Lamco next year and plan to drop about 20 pounds per day. I've had thoughts on starting cotton seed too, but have very little knowledge of it.

I hear the cotton seed has little nutrients so will I need mineral licks or some other supplement for optimal antler growth?

How much cotton seed will they consume ballpark per month?

Please give me your thoughts
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Thoughts on Protein - 12/17/15 05:56 PM

I would think they will consume more or less of WCS depending on habitat conditions and deer density. Cost and handling will effect your costs greatly on WCS. For me by the time I factor in contracting(for lowest cost), handling(very labor intensive), and adding extra mineral to WCS I was cheaper sticking with deer pellets. WCS is high in fat and fiber. Gossypol can be a concern. WCS does not flow like deer pellets and needs a specialized feeder(cheap to build). For me shoveling(if you don't have a front end loader) in 100+ degree summer heat is not something I would look forward to.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Thoughts on Protein - 12/17/15 06:12 PM

What would I need to add nutrient wise for cotton seed use?

Re: Thoughts on Protein - 12/17/15 06:21 PM

Minerals, trace minerals and vitamins are what are lacking in WCS. It has a decent phosphorous level but still would need more IMO. It has good levels of a couple of other trace minerals. Very low to non-existant in the key trace minerals. IMO minerals are key to growing larger antlers on bucks. By the time you pay to add minerals you would be better off feeding more protein per day. Look at the mineral package in your feed you are using and compare it to other feeds available.
Posted By: ThreePeppers

Re: Thoughts on Protein - 12/17/15 07:37 PM

STX.. I know you're a big proponent of trace minerals. Wondering how you supplement. Do you stick to what's in your protein mix or add extra through licks or mineral sites directly on the ground. Also the timing of mineral supplementation if you are adding extra.

Re: Thoughts on Protein - 12/17/15 08:33 PM

I have tried many other block or loose minerals in the past with little usage since I use protein. I stick with a good deer pellet and feed it year round now. I think that is why I have had very little luck using any type of mineral. A good quality feed pellet will have a very good mineral package in it. The type of mineral and how much is in a feed can add a lot of cost per ton to feed. I would think that spring time and in the fall would be key times to put out minerals. When a buck sheds his antlers to start new growth and when they shed their velvet in the early fall would be the times they would need it. Leaving them out year round will let the access it anytime they need or want it. I know hunting on ranches that fed no protein I always checked cattle mineral sights. I usually found tracks around them or at the minerals. Some areas need more mineral than others and some need certain minerals more than others.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum