Texas Hunting Forum

Windy morning... Chance of deer?

Posted By: Davezerg

Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/16/15 01:50 PM

Pretty windy this morning for me. Have you guys had good experiences on windy days?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/16/15 01:52 PM

Yes
Posted By: rickym

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/16/15 02:53 PM

Yes but you will see less deer
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/16/15 02:56 PM

Your chances are much better than mine. I reckon I could throw a ball bearing at a deer if one wandered through my refinery. moose
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/16/15 11:09 PM

Your chances are 0% if your not hunting.......
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 12:06 AM

Nope, they don't like the wind, too much sound in the woods. But I would go if that was one of my few opportunities.
Posted By: Birdog62

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 02:56 AM

I killed one Monday morning in the wind,wind blew all weekend...they get hungry after a couple of days. Just saying.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:11 AM

Generally, I'd say in high winds deer are much more alert and skittish than non-high winds. I've killed some good South Texas bucks in high winds but they were usually long shot varieties and not generally close in on the corned senderos.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:13 AM

I don't mind high winds and have seen some great deer in the winds. At my place, it seems that they will hang up in the thicker cover a little longer and are more skittish in the open areas or feeders with larger clearings around them. If they aren't moving, it makes great conditions for a stalk.

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:20 AM

There are high winds year round in some areas. Deer move better in some wind in some areas better than no wind. Just have see what your average winds are and that will tell you how deer will react. Along the coast the winds always blow in certain seasons around me. The only time it seems to effect deer in my area is the spring with the new growth leaves on trees/brush whipping around in the wind. Winter months most of the leaves have fallen and they are not quite as jumpy.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:24 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
There are high winds year round in some areas. Deer move better in some wind in some areas better than no wind. Just have see what your average winds are and that will tell you how deer will react. Along the coast the winds always blow in certain seasons around me. The only time it seems to effect deer in my area is the spring with the new growth leaves on trees/brush whipping around in the wind. Winter months most of the leaves have fallen and they are not quite as jumpy.

In Kansas, the wind is always blowing. This year, I had one of my best hunts in 50-60mph winds. It seemed as if all the deer were piled up in the creek bottom waiting to enter the fields. Doubt I could have hit anything out of my tree stand, but it was a great hunt.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:27 AM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Your chances are 0% if your not hunting.......

Yep, might have to hunt longer than normal or even all day. Tdecker22 killed a monster last year in freezing cold with crazy winds. They won't lay down all day.

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:29 AM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Originally Posted By: stxranchman

In Kansas, the wind is always blowing. This year, I had one of my best hunts in 50-60mph winds. It seemed as if all the deer were piled up in the creek bottom waiting to enter the fields. Doubt I could have hit anything out of my tree stand, but it was a great hunt.

Same for Trans Pecos area. We had less wind this season than any in the past. The windy hot days had better deer movement earlier in the afternoons than the calm afternoons.
Posted By: Erny

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:38 AM

I have killed deer on windy days, but from my experience that is the worst weather condition for deer hunting.
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Windy morning... Chance of deer? - 12/17/15 03:48 AM

I hate dead calm days, I hunt in bottom land surrounded by trees and when it's calm every little noise is magnified. I love wind down there.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum