Texas Hunting Forum

Karnes County Buck Question

Posted By: polishpreacher

Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 03:57 AM

I grew up in Karnes County and recently, someone on my Facebook posted this:

"So has anyone heard anything about the record scoring whitetail that was poached out here around Harmony??? The photo that was taken of it gave GPS coordinates on my neighbors place. He scored 282 Boone and Crockett and had like 20 something points with 4 drop tines. It's really sad when people have to trespass and kill an animal that could have had so much potential to make the deer in Karnes county better.

I dont know how something like that could be shot in Karnes County, as i dont even know anyone who would do deer genetics out there or pay for a deer that big on their property. I am just seeing if anyone has heard any whispers cause i am ready to call BS on the post. Thanks.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 04:09 AM

Hadn't heard anything...
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 04:13 AM

I know there was a big buck taken near Poteet. I hunt in Karnes and haven't heard of anything.
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 04:20 AM

Is this the deer you're asking about? Killed outside of Gillett?

I know that the ol boy was questioned about the deer from the GW's, but I don't know the outcome
Posted By: basspromaster

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 05:20 PM

TXdispatcher u have more info on the deer in the pic
Posted By: polishpreacher

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 06:27 PM

That is a hell of a buck, but I don't think that is the one....lol though that is MUCH bigger than anything I would have thought possible in Karnes....lol
Posted By: Ranch Dog

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/13/15 08:37 PM

I haven't hunted in Karnes County in a decade, moved to DeWitt County, but I owned a ranch and hunted there for the 15 years prior. Honestly, that deer would not totally surprise me especially in the extreme western or eastern ends of the County. There are still some large ranches there that, well, keep their mouths shut about what they kill as that draws attention in Karnes County. I have seen a deer that was killed on a 5K+ low fenced ranch that scored over 200. On another occasion, the previous Game Warden came and got me from my hunting camp near Gillett late one season to show me a deer feeding in a field during a sleet storm, late in the season and late at night, that was definitely beyond 180. There is also a number of high fence places that have this kind of deer on them but they are store bought deer.

Karnes County has the potential but like anywhere else it boils down to large tracts of habitat, low livestock & deer densities so the habitat is not exploited, and low hunter pressure.
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/14/15 01:03 AM

Any other details both this buck would love to hear but him.....
Posted By: TxDispatcher

Re: Karnes County Buck Question - 12/14/15 04:00 AM

All I know is that the GW took the deer from the guy, he posted about it on FB and got lit up from people. He said that the GW took the deer, because they didn't believe him on where he harvested and the conditions that he took it, and he "couldn't" take them to where he shot it at because of a family emergency. The post was deleted shortly thereafter. I haven't heard anything about it since then

Oh yes, he also stated that the GW have it out for him, and have for years. Take that how you want to grin
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum