Texas Hunting Forum

asking the neighbor to hunt?

Posted By: txhunter1010

asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 02:41 PM

So we have a good little lease...no complaints other than sometimes it would be nice if it was a little bigger. So, our land owner runs a few cows on the neighbors place. A far as we know, no one hunts there. there is a gate on the fence right beside our cabin that allows accesse to the place. My question is do you think it would hurt to ask the neighbor if we can hunt his place too? and what I mean is if he mentioned something to our land owner, do you think it would hurt our current lease situation?
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 02:47 PM

Interesting question you pose..Here are my two cents on it, "your landowner running cattle grazing on a property is sometimes quite different than you hunting said property". What I'd do is ask your landowner if he has full exclusive rights meaning grazing and hunting. If he does, maybe casually approach him about paying a bit extra to your lease for hunting rights to the adjoining property. If he doesn't have exclusive rights, I think you risk alienating him by asking the neighbor directly about leasing his place too. That's my take on things for what it's worth.

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 02:50 PM

yeah that is kinda what I am afraid of. we have actually mentioned to our land owner about the neighbor and he didn't really have much to say other than he had asked the guy if he ever wanted to sale the place and the neighbor told him not any time soon
Posted By: Fltmedic

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 03:45 PM

I would do what DQ says, I was in a similar situation on my last lease. We asked our land owner about the neighbors place and the probability of leasing it as well. The leasees on that place were shooting everything that walked and we wanted to try and secure both ranches. Unfortunately the neighbor was unwilling, especially after him and our landowner had it out about each others hunters. It's worth a shot, worse that can happen is he says no.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 04:05 PM

Id ask your landowner what he thought about it and for contact info for the other owner.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Id ask your landowner what he thought about it and for contact info for the other owner.

I would also add that you and your group would like to retain the lease your on with him but would like to make your hunting area bigger without adding any additional hunters.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 04:19 PM

^^^ yeah add that part too.
Posted By: Western

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 04:25 PM

Agree with the fellas, I'd go through your current LO. He obviously already has a good rapport with the other LO since he runs his cows over there, he can also vouch for you guy's in a way you can't.
Posted By: ddmm

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 04:45 PM

Good advise shared above. Keep the conversation positive. Good communications goes a long ways.

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Pope&Young
Originally Posted By: redchevy

I would also add that you and your group would like to retain the lease your on with him but would like to make your hunting area bigger without adding any additional hunters.

that exactly what we are wanting to do
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/08/15 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: ddmm
Good advise shared above. Keep the conversation positive. Good communications goes a long ways.
Posted By: Curtis

Re: asking the neighbor to hunt? - 12/09/15 02:52 PM

If I was either landowner in a situation like this(and I have been in that same spot before) I would say going through your landowner that you have the current lease with would be the way to go.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum