Texas Hunting Forum

Meat mixer question?

Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 02:47 AM

So I've been processing all my game for about 15 years. I just hate paying the price for someone to do it for me. I enjoy doing it but hate mixing the meat/seasoning! Having the meat near freezing temp hurts the hands when mixing. Anyone use a mixer? Looking for advice a something that will last and the does and donts please...
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 03:31 AM

I have a 20 lb LEM meat mixer that works well for me. I use it for a variety of sausage and ground jerky. It is LIGHT YEARS ahead of mixing by hand. I use C-clamps to fasten the corners to the edge and end of my kitchen island (three corners). When mixing, I reverse directions on the crank handle after few minutes to get a better mix. I also use a mixing spatula to scrape down edges and the blades a couple of times during the mix. It works well for me to get a good blend of meat and even distribution of spices. Your recipes need some liquid to mix the spices well, but not a lot.
Posted By: decook

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
I have a 20 lb LEM meat mixer that works well for me. I use it for a variety of sausage and ground jerky. It is LIGHT YEARS ahead of mixing by hand. I use C-clamps to fasten the corners to the edge and end of my kitchen island (three corners). When mixing, I reverse directions on the crank handle after few minutes to get a better mix. I also use a mixing spatula to scrape down edges and the blades a couple of times during the mix. It works well for me to get a good blend of meat and even distribution of spices. Your recipes need some liquid to mix the spices well, but not a lot.

This. All good points that hit the mark. Buy one
Posted By: Espy

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 12:24 PM

I thought mixers are a waste of time and money.after last night freezing my hands I think I'm gonna look into them. Does anyone use the one that attaches to the grinder or would you buy the hand crank one.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 12:51 PM

This is the mixer I referred to a couple of messages ago. If you watch for sales, it can be had for about $99. In my mind, it is worth every penny. If you did hundreds of pounds of sausage a year, a motorized version might be good. Or, if you do a lot, one of the versions that tilts to dump meat out would be good. I make less than 200 pounds of sausage or jerky a year, so the crank works fine for me.

One more point about using it... It will not mix a small batch of only 5 pounds. Ten pounds is the minimum to get much mixing. It mixes very well from 12-20 pounds, though you need to be patient if the mixer is completely full.

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/manual-meat-mixer-20-lb/sausage-meat-mixers

Posted By: djs303

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 06:25 PM

I put the seasoning spices on my cubed meat before I grind to help mix the seasoning and meat together.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: StretchR

^^^^^^^^^^^

Nailed it
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 06:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Espy
I thought mixers are a waste of time and money.after last night freezing my hands I think I'm gonna look into them. Does anyone use the one that attaches to the grinder or would you buy the hand crank one.

I prefer the Hand Crank Sir...same with the Sausage Stuffers...allows me to control the tempo
Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Re: Meat mixer question? - 12/08/15 11:17 PM

Thanks for the advice fellas. I place an order for the LEM 20 lbs
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum