Texas Hunting Forum

If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor?

Posted By: Texas Dan

If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 12:58 PM

Are you required to include a completed Resource Transfer document with it?

I have always felt the document is required for only those times when you just give a part of your unprocessed deer meat to someone else. At such times, they will not have a tag, or proof of sex with them, since you will be keeping the tag, head, and remaining parts of the deer with you.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
Posted By: tlk

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 01:08 PM

we always complete the transfer form - eliminates any issues and takes one minute to fill out

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 01:42 PM

I believe I found the answer on the TPWD website...

NOTE: No wildlife resource document is required when the entire carcass of a deer (including head, which may be skinned or unskinned) or antelope (including head, which must be unskinned) is given to, or transported by, another person if the tag from the hunter's license and other required permits or the pronghorn permit remains attached until the carcass reaches its final destination and is quartered.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 01:42 PM

I don't see why you wouldn't be required. It's a transfer. I do it. It's too easy to take the risk.
Posted By: Sneaky

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 01:45 PM

I guess that makes sense. I'll probably still fIll one out, though, for clarity.

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 01:54 PM

It appears the TPWD is simply making it easier for hunters to allow others with whom they hunt to transport deer to a processor.
Posted By: postoak

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 01:58 PM

In the old days it would have been a pain going somewhere to pick up one of these forms, but now, if you have a computer and printer, it is easy:

TPWD WIldlife Resource Document PDF

But in the case hypothesized by Dan, it isn't necessary, apparently.

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 02:02 PM

Originally Posted By: postoak
In the old days it would have been a pain going somewhere to pick up one of these forms, but now, if you have a computer and printer, it is easy:

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdforms/media/pwd_980_l2000_wildlife_resource_document.pdf

But in the case hypothesized by Dan, it isn't necessary, apparently.

It was actually an "after the fact" question since I gave a deer to a friend last night (which he will be taking to the processor) which made me start thinking about it. I have always used the form when giving parts of my harvests to others, keeping the rest for myself.

Probably others here who may not have been sure of the requirement.

Thanks again for the replies.
Posted By: Deep Sea

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 03:10 PM

I have never done it, but I have taken deer to my processor that my wife tagged. Would be the same thing I think. Maybe I should have, not sure.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 03:17 PM

I'd always filled out the transfer document. Didn't want to get dinged on some technicality since the animal was leaving my possession.
Posted By: sig226fan (Rguns.com)

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 07:49 PM

We always do it. It used to be the last page of the outdoor annual
Posted By: StretchR

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 08:17 PM

I've taken multiple deer to processors for various family members. The processors never object as long as they have a tag & tag number to be able to log with the deer.
Posted By: postoak

Re: If you give your tagged deer to another person to take it to the processor? - 12/06/15 08:24 PM

I don't think its about the processor objecting, they don't ask for ID so wouldn't know anyway. It's what happens in the remote eventuality you get stopped by a game warden. But again, Dan answered his own question.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum