Texas Hunting Forum

Mr Heater in the blind?

Posted By: jsplinter

Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 09:12 PM

Does it have any effect on the hunting? Wondering about any smells that may come from burning the propane or from burning the heater itself. Should I run it at the house first to get any of that initial use burn off I need to?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 09:38 PM

I would run it at the house first, after that if your playing the wind right then scent shouldn't matter. Tons of people regularly use one in a blind. Especially if elevated there's less of a chance of them busting you on scent. If your worried about scent, spray some cover scent or odor eleminator on your boots before you walk in, play the wind right and don't have every possible window open. Not trying to be rude, but when playing the wind right and being in a box blind you should be more worried about noise than scent.
Posted By: Tinkle

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 09:38 PM

We used the Mr Heater in the blind all the time and never had any problems! Killed plenty of deer while it was keeping us warm
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 10:33 PM

Put some tin foil in your blind, becomes a useful tool for heating up lunch......
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 10:34 PM

....If they can smell the heater...they can smell you....

I also think the heater might actually help by making the air escaping from the blind rise as its much warmer than the outside air....
Posted By: ddmm

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 11:02 PM

we use them in all our blinds we rifle hunt out of.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 11:06 PM

if they can smell the heater they can smell you so no big deal. I've used mine in a pop up when we had the mini ice age blow through a few years back. Killed a doe with it that day.
Posted By: BuckRage

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 11:07 PM

but what I always do is get it running at camp before I head out for less than a minute to help warm it up. Makes it much easier to turn on when your in the blind and you won't have to click click click click click to turn it on lol.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 11:35 PM

Originally Posted By: BuckRage
but what I always do is get it running at camp before I head out for less than a minute to help warm it up. Makes it much easier to turn on when your in the blind and you won't have to click click click click click to turn it on lol.

Sage advice. I'm taking my 28 year-old "baby" girl hunting on Monday. 'Want to keep her comfortable. I have a nice, well outside his ears, ten patterned. We'll see.

Thanks to the OP and all for reminding me to take it.
Posted By: Murphscout

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/04/15 11:38 PM

Have them in all our blinds. Seems to have little if any effect

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 12:06 AM

Thanks all, taking my son out this weekend and want to keep him happy.
Posted By: cliffie

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 01:10 AM

We burn kudu poop in the blind in Africa to cover our scent

MMMM smells like a spring bouquet :-)

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 01:16 AM

I'll stick with the heater and scent spray...lol
Posted By: Western

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 02:14 AM

I think you will have to mind the glow it puts off more than scent. Can almost be like you have the lights on in the dark, so if you move around allot you will cast shadows.
Posted By: CB09

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 02:47 AM

That was my concern about the glow as well. I was always hesitate to turn it on until the sun started to come out.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 02:56 AM

I noticed that two weeks ago when I used one for the first time. I got real nervous that I was on stage so I pointed Mr. Heater toward the corner...
Posted By: TxBuck

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 03:41 AM

No, use it I use mine
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 04:55 AM

Originally Posted By: Western
I think you will have to mind the glow it puts off more than scent. Can almost be like you have the lights on in the dark, so if you move around allot you will cast shadows.

This makes sense.
Good info.
Posted By: Tenacious Hunter

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 07:30 AM

I just got one this year and I hunt from a pop up. I have to say, I've worried about looking like a Lantern in the tree line more than anything else. I've used it twice, first time seen deer and second time I did not so can't really say. Biggest issue I have encountered is the heat escaping out of the one window open makes a mirage effect and I get the same mirage effect through my scope.
Posted By: 2012hvt

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 09:11 AM

Just turn it away from you until the sun comes up, and after that the deer pay NO attention to the glow, smell, or sound. All of my blinds are at 20 yards for bowhunting and I've killed and watched mature deer every year. I too believe it actually HELPS on scent control.
Posted By: Tenacious Hunter

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/05/15 01:21 PM

Has anyone else experienced the heat wave mirage effect? Is there anything you can do to prevent? I'm using a vortex HP diamondback, not the most expensive scope but certainly not cheap either. I tried using the shade as it says you can get that effect from a hot barrel but it makes no difference..
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Mr Heater in the blind? - 12/06/15 12:50 AM

My wife shot this buck last week with the Mr. Heater going full blast in the blind. It does put off a glow, but just don't move around in the blind until the sun comes up....some of the best sleep I have ever gotten was the 30 minutes in the blind before the sun came up.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum