Texas Hunting Forum

South Texas Rut Reports

Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

South Texas Rut Reports - 11/30/15 07:07 PM

I see a lot of topics all over TX, but not a lot on South TX. So I figured I would start one to keep track with South Texas (south of I-10 to the border of Mexico).

How's it looking? I'm headed down this Thursday-Sunday, hoping that my roads have dried up, 2 weeks ago the 4 wheeler barely made it to the stand and I scared all the deer off with the ATV. I hear there is a bit of a pre rut going on or some seeking and chasing?

Any updates? Did we get much rain down there since 2 weeks ago? Please post your county with your report/update.

Thanks!
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 11/30/15 10:08 PM

I heard still wet. I'll be going same time and county as you.
Posted By: Robfx4

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 12:40 AM

I'll be going down to cotulla this weekend hope to see them chasing. Not sure what's going on down there since I haven't been back since opening weekend. Anybody know if the rut is in full swing?
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 03:58 PM

Frio county is not in the rut yet. We are seeing a little activity with some bucks doing a little chasing. They are mostly interested in the corn and oats though. That will change shortly. I have only seen one buck with a busted point so far, I'm sure that will change too.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 04:12 PM

I hunted Carrizo Springs this past week and saw that the young bucks are chasing, but the doe aren't interested. Bucks are in bachelor groups, going to hunt all week after Christmas, I think that will be prime time!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 04:24 PM

Hunt Duval Co.

Have seen very minimal interest in the ladies. A spike here or there will chase a doe around a sec but then back to eating.

Few of the bucks have been seen sparing. Bachelor groups have not completely broken up but are beginning to. Have noticed a few busted tines. Would expect the rut to start in a week and really pick up in a 2-3 weeks.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: SouthTXhunter07
I hunted Carrizo Springs this past week and saw that the young bucks are chasing, but the doe aren't interested. Bucks are in bachelor groups, going to hunt all week after Christmas, I think that will be prime time!

Same here from this past weekend in Dimmit. It is the same every year.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 06:35 PM

I'm in Atascosa CO, big bucks are lookin for does, a few of our smaller ones are still showing up in groups.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/09/15 07:34 PM

Txduckman - what ranch do you hunt in Dimmit? I hunt in the small town of Asherton, TX

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/10/15 01:00 AM

Originally Posted By: SouthTXhunter07
Txduckman - what ranch do you hunt in Dimmit? I hunt in the small town of Asherton, TX

Near there. Buddies place 10K LF on the river.
Posted By: Hunter3007

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/10/15 02:11 AM

Webb co nothing yet
Posted By: magspa

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/10/15 02:03 PM

Hunted last Saturday the 5th. Had a 3.5yo 8pt show a little aggression towards a 2.5 and a spike. He also made a scrape and chased around doe a little. Willacy County.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/10/15 08:46 PM

gonna be warm this week, I am predicting give it a week or two and rut should be going on boys!
Posted By: Robfx4

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/11/15 03:43 AM

Saw today 6 youngs bucks eating next to each other...no sign of aggression. It was pretty darn hot today too
Posted By: copperhead

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/13/15 06:06 AM

Heading to Cotulla on the 18th, hope it's better.
Posted By: Brandon Adamcik

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/13/15 10:28 AM

Been hunting Falfurrias for about 8 years. Never see any rut activity before Christmas.
Thanksgiving weekend we had bucks chasing the entire weekend and this past Friday a guest took a 140" 10pt that was running a doe.
Guessing with all the rain and everything being so green, a bunch of healthy doe's came in early.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 02:40 PM

I see the rattlesnakes are out too in this heat, be careful boys.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 02:53 PM

Got a 12 point sunday morning buck was checking out a doe
Posted By: fouzman

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 03:06 PM

Just returned from NE Webb County. Lots of nubbin' bucks alone now so their Mommas are kicking them off. Lots of rubs and scrapes and older bucks starting to show up around the does, but no chasing seen, yet. Deer movement still not great. Should get pretty heated around and after Xmas. Full moon on Xmas.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 03:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Hunter3007
Got a 12 point sunday morning buck was checking out a doe

worthless

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: fouzman
Just returned from NW Webb County. Lots of nubbin' bucks alone now so their Mommas are kicking them off. Lots of rubs and scrapes and older bucks starting to show up around the does, but no chasing seen, yet. Deer movement still not great. Should get pretty heated around and after Xmas. Full moon on Xmas.

My folks were down for the weekend in southern Duval Co. This is what they reported as well. New bucks showing up every day.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 04:08 PM

nice to hear! this weather this week isn't the best, but I will hope that it cools off for all of us and that the big boys start to run!
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 04:50 PM

Just got back from the callaghan. the 4.5 year olds and under were starting to chase. I imagine the big boys will come out to play soon.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 05:40 PM

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 09:28 PM

Nice buck hunter3007! what did he score?

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 09:29 PM

ijohnston- I see a spike in that pic...is he on your list?

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 09:43 PM

158 1/2
Posted By: ijohnston

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/14/15 11:36 PM

southtxhunter - No the ranch rules are no spike allowed.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/18/15 01:46 PM

Hunted south Duval Co. yesterday and the rut is in gear. Saw 10 bucks Thursday morning and only 1 was not chasing a doe.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/18/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: redchevy
Hunted south Duval Co. yesterday and the rut is in gear. Saw 10 bucks Thursday morning and only 1 was not chasing a doe.

Thank you! That was the report I've been waiting for. We are headed out to Seven Sisters this evening...I'll post up on Sunday what we saw and how we did.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/18/15 03:09 PM

Good luck, deer were moving for sure, most action ive seen in a while. The afternoon got pretty warm... sweating my but off warm and was a slow evening sit, but the morning was great.
Posted By: MathMan

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/19/15 03:30 AM

Do y'all think Wilson county is in the Rut now? Or is it over?
Posted By: nochance4win

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/20/15 05:25 AM

We be heading to Bee Co. Tomorrow and hunting the next three days. The boys are I are excited. We will see how the rut is going.
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 02:48 AM

Just got home from southern Karnes County. Didn't see a darn thing all weekend. We were seeing lots of deer on camera and lots of does at feeder times the first of the month. The last two weeks they stopped showing up on camera even.
Posted By: javman

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 04:42 AM

This weekend Starr County
Posted By: rob valle

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 03:09 PM

Well we headed down to the lease in Duval Co. this weekend. Saturday moring was great...35 degrees and between the three of us hunting on 165 acres I think we saw 10 diffent bucks. As soon as it warmed up however, the buck activity really slowed down. Only small bucks that usually come by the feeders anyway. We ended up shooting a nice bobcat and I passed on a big boar because I was sure a nice buck was coming out!
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: MathMan
Do y'all think Wilson county is in the Rut now? Or is it over?

Depends on what part of the county.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 03:20 PM

I live on the Bexar Wilson Co. line. The rut is over in that area.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 05:25 PM

Back from a great weekend in Dimmit County! 2 bucks down on Saturday. Rut has started, the trees are all scrapped up! Finally, the time I have waited for!

My wife got her first buck, ya she's spoiled.

Any my sisters kept this freak 9 from breeding another year.

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/21/15 05:27 PM

Nice bucks, congrats to the ladies up
Posted By: nochance4win

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/22/15 03:41 AM

Bee Co...Just west of Pettus. Took this buck this morning at 7:41. The last two days have not seen much chasing...4-6 does still grouped together. This guy was more into the corn then the does. You can tell on his antlers he has been working the trees over.
Posted By: copperhead

Re: South Texas Rut Reports - 12/22/15 06:09 AM

Just got back from hunting 20 miles SE of Cotulla. The rut is just now starting to get really fired up. The mature bucks are coming out now checking on the does. My wife and I watched a huge 9 and a 10 pt get in a knock down drag out this morning. That was my first real fight I've ever seen. It was truly awesome. The 10 appeared to be probably a 6 yo and starting to decline and the 9 was probably a 4 yo. The 10 beat him down pretty bad. Love this time of year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum