Texas Hunting Forum

Rut must be on in jack county.

Posted By: TFF Caribou

Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/26/15 02:41 PM

Seen 2 nice bucks already this morning. Couldn't get one to stop. Had the scope on him as he walked across the field nose down. I whistles, grunted, and finally yelled. Never even flinched. Just kept right on walking.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/26/15 02:46 PM

And I'm sitting here kicking myself for not taking the shot. He wasn't more than 60 yards, and he was walking pretty slow. It would have been fine, but I kept thinking he would stop, and it was finally too late
Posted By: fredeboy

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 03:53 AM

Kick your self again! What were you thinking!! bang

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 03:59 PM

The more I thought about it, the happier I was that I passed. He was a good deer, but not as good as the one I have on camera. And there is alot of season left. First time in my life I was happy I didn't shoot a buck.
Posted By: Bbcat78

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 04:03 PM

you out today tff? i think we hunt close to each other and i was curious about movement?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 05:27 PM

Nope, back at work today. Ended up seeing 3 bucks yesterday. The 2 nice ones and a spike. All had something other than food on their mind, so I'm guessing, the rut is ramping up. If I get out this weekend, I'm heading into their travel areas a little more, hoping to find my big bucks trailing a doe.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 05:30 PM

And I'm just inside the jack county line about half a mile from wise county. Right off 199.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 05:53 PM

thx for info. im off 2210 about 6 miles north of 199. Im scared with all the rain that i wont be able to cross creek to get to best spot

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 06:46 PM

Yea, rain has me worried too. But I only have 100 acres, so I can walk all the way in. I just don't wanna have to drag something all the way out.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 06:57 PM

i have 99 so i can relate. Only prob is best spot in back part of land only about 10 acres, is across creek bang
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 09:05 PM

I'm not far from either of you, but on Wise County side of the line off 920.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/27/15 09:40 PM

how much rain have you got kenny?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 12:02 AM

Neighbor said 4 inches and still coming down. Hope Sunday isn't bad.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 02:17 PM

Was sitting here debating trying to hunt today and saw on Wise County Messenger Facebook page that several roads around my place are closed.

Specifically, it lists 2210 at 920 as being closed.

Since that's near you two, thought I'd share that.
Posted By: Western

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 02:33 PM

Kenny, rain has stopped for a while, I bet this afternoon (early), until dark will be great. Deer have put up with near non-stop rain since Thursday as the rain trained through Wise. May be one of the best days of the year so far. Plenty crisp out here too, bundle up, wind chill is in the 20's.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 02:35 PM

Dennis, I want to go badly but looking at the map and the road closure list, I don't think I can get to my place. Waiting to hear back from a neighbor.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: KennyLee
Dennis, I want to go badly but looking at the map and the road closure list, I don't think I can get to my place. Waiting to hear back from a neighbor.

I thought your place was by the Lake? should be no problem getting to there. Water is going down pretty fast, of course you have to predict if more rainfall will trap you in. You should have 2 different possible main routs to your place from 114 or 199? A lot of the vegetation has been killed back, still a lot of acorns though. Feeders should start heating up soon.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 04:13 PM

I'm off 920 a couple miles east of the lake. Two creeks border my place and out of their banks. No other way in.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 04:34 PM

I'm off 920 a couple miles east of the lake. Two creeks border my place and out of their banks. No other way in.
Got a john boat?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 05:06 PM

thanks kenny for the update as i dont do facebook. I m debating whether i should attempt to go out at all

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 05:25 PM

Originally Posted By: Bbcat78
thanks kenny for the update as i dont do facebook. I m debating whether i should attempt to go out at all

I'm doing the same. Supposed to have dinner with inlaws and thinking I'll stay in wifes good graces if I don't go today.

Hoping the rain rest of day and tonight is light. If so, I'll head out in the morning.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 05:37 PM

Same here. Best of luck to you
Posted By: Direct Hit

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/28/15 07:28 PM

Saw a six point at feeder this morning. Saw birds and squirrels active in a light rain. Should be real good this evening.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 12:21 AM

Went out at 3pm, deer by 3:45. Most activity/deer i have seen all season. Watched an 11 pnt eat corn for 20 minutes, does stayed in the oats. (buck came in and ran the does off, then returned 10 minutes later)

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 03:08 AM

I'm headed out in the morning with plans to sit all day. Only have open air stands, so may opt for a pop up. Hope it stays relatively dry overnight.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 09:51 AM

I'm headed out in the morning with plans to sit all day. Only have open air stands, so may opt for a pop up. Hope it stays relatively dry overnight.

Kenny, has been a light steady rain for a few hours, may want to start out in that pop up. Looks like it will clear out in a few hrs though, as long as more doesn't start up.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 10:00 AM

Thanks Western. Looking at radar now trying to decide what I'll do. Likely be hunting from the popup or from the truck.

I've never liked hunting from enclosed blinds, but wishing I had some right now.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 10:16 AM

Pop up may be a PITA, but if you get a buck down, sure worth the effort. Looks like the heavier rain will stay South, the "blue" on the radar is very light. Wind sure has laid down for now too.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 10:20 AM

Yeah, wind was why I picked today versus yesterday. Not supposed to be much wind today. I've got the clothes to stay warm and mostly dry, but only so much you can do about rain.

Mostly worried about shooting that big buck and having to haul him a long way on foot. Guess that could become a good problem to have. Surely a neighbor has a four wheeler I could borrow.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 10:29 AM

I know what you mean, I have to cross a"dry creek" that isnt "dry", it is about 2-3' deep and running yesterday. I figured for all the time I wasted in the stand, I wont mind having to get a deer out, even if I had to qtr it and carry it out. Of course, I live here ,so it is much easier.

Worse case scenerio, I am only about 19 miles away and have a polaris, we can get that big azz trophy out!

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 12:18 PM

Already stuck. Going to be a long day.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 01:23 PM

Already stuck. Going to be a long day.

Oh no. That's why I'm.not going to risk it until at least Tuesday morning.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 01:34 PM

I've had two deer walk by and laugh at me. I'm so ashamed......
Posted By: catsquirrel

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 01:50 PM

Hunters luck , cold body and a stuck truck. But we love it.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:03 PM

I've had two deer walk by and laugh at me. I'm so ashamed......
At least they are moving. Looks like this fricken rain is going to keep building, more now than there was before daylight bang

I'd have parked at the gate and walked in LOL

You still stuck?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:07 PM

I'm stuck, neighbors 4wd tractor is stuck...gonna be a long day.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:15 PM

I'm stuck, neighbors 4wd tractor is stuck...gonna be a long day.
Well dam, I was going to offer to try and help, but if you got a tractor stuck, I don't know if I have anything better!

Tractor have a front end loader? most of the time you can use the bucket to get the tractor out, then you can try longer chain for the truck.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:24 PM

Yep, front end loader and still stuck. Evidently a spring coming to surface. Need a jeep with a strong winch. Tree 40 yards in front of me. Have a few people trying to find some help.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:28 PM

I don't have a winch, all i have is a 4x4 truck with regular tires, factory tires to be exact. I have had to put a log or 4 under a bucket a few times to get some lift and pushing strength, try that?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:30 PM

Yep. Logs, rocks, etc. Usually some big jeeps at the burger place in town. Going to see if I can pay someone to help me.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 04:40 PM

Even a loose winch would work as long as you have a 12v supply and enough cable. You think s jeep will do better than a 4x4 tractor?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 06:27 PM

Two tractors stuck. My thought on a jeep was it could tie off to a tree 40 yards from truck. However, have figured out the water I'm in is coming up from the ground. Have more help coming. Not how I wanted to spend my day.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 08:17 PM

Damn luck hitting a shallow spring, probably normally dry. 2 tractors! You don't fool around Kenny!! Must look like Gold Rush and the Hoffmans out there grin J/K, wish I had a winch of some sort, that and a good amount of cable/chain, may do the trick (if the tree stay's planted)

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 11:24 PM

Still stuck. Looking at my target buck eat corn. Waiting on a tow company that thinks they can get it out. Fun day.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/29/15 11:33 PM

Shoot him while your waiting

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/30/15 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By: Bbcat78
Shoot him while your waiting

No Chit Kenny!! chute it!!

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/30/15 12:14 AM

Wrecker thinks they can? must have a crap load of cable to work with! Tractors aren't in the way?

To bad it is Sunday, might have been cheaper to buy a winch from harbor freight, then a wrecker. You must be "mother load stuck"? take photos?

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/30/15 02:41 AM

Got it out. Wasn't a fun day.

Considered shooting that buck, but then had to wonder how I would get him out. I wasn't certain I was even going to get myself out at the time.

No desire to go back out for a while.

Re: Rut must be on in jack county. - 11/30/15 02:47 AM

I'm glad you got out. Only owned a 4x4 for a couple months. Unsure of exactly what I can safely get through with it, so I'm not going to atleqst Tuesday.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum