Texas Hunting Forum

Help explaining?

Posted By: Ghost-cfd

Help explaining? - 11/23/15 03:23 PM

Does anyone have a good explanation of the relationship between deer movement during the day and temperature? I've always been curious about this topic and have read many articles on it just wanna hear what you guys think about it.
Posted By: Stompy

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 03:28 PM

I always figured it was their winter coats. I notice that deer here stay in the shade till the sun goes down on warmer days. On cooler days they enjoy the warmth of the sun. Best days to hunt in my experience are cloudy cool days or cloudy cool days with a light mist.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 04:05 PM

Cool to colder has always been better in my nearly 40 years of hunting. Thinks it's a maintenance of body temperature thing, deer need to move around to stay warmer when colder.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: DQ Kid
Cool to colder has always been better in my nearly 40 years of hunting. Thinks it's a maintenance of body temperature thing, deer need to move around to stay warmer when colder.
x2
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 09:00 PM

X3
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: notamtchance

X3

Combined with the afternoon...imo

If you have a bad frost in the morning at least from what ive seen the deer wont like moving until the suns up.. that is if they have the choice to
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 09:03 PM

when food is hard to find they have to eat one way or another... right now in most places in Tx they are either rutting or bundeled up in a nice oak grove bed with water near by
Posted By: Western

Re: Help explaining? - 11/23/15 10:18 PM

I think cooler weather is just more comfortable for them, with a standing body temp at 100 degrees plus (101.3 iirc) Much movement at the body temp rises (why I'm a believer in gutting, or quarter ASAP). When it is real cold, I think they balance extra movement to raise their temps, but forage for high energy with minimal effort diets. Ever notice young deer on a cool am, or pm run and play? cool weather and they feel "frisky".

This is the main benefit to whole corn (good quality with no cracks). IIRC from a class I took years ago at UoG, each whole un-cracked, quality kernel of corn, has the equivalent of 1 BTU of energy, if the shell is breached, that energy is released. Corn is also harder on a deer's gut and it takes a little time for their system to adjust to it and is why they recommended feeding it in small amounts year round.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum