Texas Hunting Forum

mills co.rut

Posted By: SlaminEm

mills co.rut - 11/20/15 11:31 PM

whats the deer movement like ? are they in rut are trying to start.have not been since opening day of gun season . im going on thanksgiving 4 days of hunting.hows the weather suppose to be then.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 12:11 AM

You should be good. I think rut has started there, but colder weather will keep 'em on the move. Good luck.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 12:40 AM

Very hot rut right now. Expect rain and cold temps next Th-Sun
Posted By: Ajpp

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 04:16 AM

I've seen 4 chasing in 2 days. Rattled small 8 in today.

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 11:09 AM

thanks for the input . don't care much for the rain but cold temperatures sound good.in my opinion the deer dont move as much in the rain.

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: SlaminEm
thanks for the input . don't care much for the rain but cold temperatures sound good.in my opinion the deer dont move as much in the rain.

Probably not in heavy rain, but I hunted the opener and saw about 20 that morning and my blind only overlooks about three acres. They didn't seem bothered much at all. Bucks and does; they fed, they checked, and they chased some and they moved through. They'll particularly move in between showers.
Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 02:11 PM

Were hunting south of goldthwaite not to far from the river and nothing responded to rattling yesterday afternoon from 2-330 saw 3 different young bucks from 530-615. The first responded to the grunt when he was about to leave. It turned him around and he came out for me to get a better look. The next one I saw a bumped the horns together to see how he reacted and he bolted like he'd had his but whipped before and he didn't want any part of it. The last one I saw was 615ish and he had some tall tines I just couldn't tell how wide or how many points....

Re: mills co.rut - 11/21/15 09:34 PM

i think the reason i didnt see anything opening day was empty feeder a raccoon emptied it for me .i always see alot more deer over thanksgiving.but my biggest buck was killed the last day of the season.maybe luck or right place right time.the bucks hit feeders hard after the rut.
Posted By: Wilderness Rob

Re: mills co.rut - 11/22/15 03:23 AM

I'm here hunting now, and bucks were very active. Chasing like crazy seen broken tines and bucks were responding to calls. If it's not on its going to be any day.
Posted By: bigbroke12

Re: mills co.rut - 11/22/15 03:33 AM

will be at my place in sw mills tomorrow EARLY thru wed.....first hand reports of activity is gettn me excite!
on another note, thought no one knew where mils was!?!?!

Re: mills co.rut - 11/22/15 04:53 AM

Had two mature bucks on a hot doe this afternoon. Bigger one might have been broken up already. Hope for better looks tomorrow

Re: mills co.rut - 11/22/15 12:39 PM

good luck to all of you in mills co.4 days and counting down.
Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: mills co.rut - 11/23/15 01:46 PM

I will elaborate on what I've seen. Halloween, the bucks were searching like crazy, all bucks including the old ones. Early afternoon of November 6th while driving in, my daughter and I saw four separate mature bucks that had isolated does apart from Evant to Priddy. You know the places they segregate them, open pastures, by the road, fence corners, etc. Places they aren't likely to run into other deer and can do their thing. Like clockwork, every year. We are on the downhill slide of the first rut. But, it continue to be good through at least Thanksgiving because of the high number of does that need to be bred.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum