Texas Hunting Forum

Mills county???

Posted By: ETXFIREMAN 1

Mills county??? - 11/16/15 06:28 PM

Will be headed to Goldthwaite Friday withy my dad to his lease. They didn't see much opening weekend and didn't get to go last weekend. What's the rut activity looking like? Hoping to rattle in some bucks, something I've never got to experience...
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Mills county??? - 11/16/15 07:47 PM

Very hot right now from what I hear; we'll be catching more of the tail end this weekend. As in most years, peak is around the 15th-17th. Bring your rain gear!
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Mills county??? - 11/16/15 07:55 PM

I saw 25 deer Sunday morning in San Saba, so much movement I couldn't keep track of everything I was seeing. The rut is on down here.
Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: Mills county??? - 11/16/15 07:59 PM

My place in Mills has been hot since Halloween. I expect it will be good through Thanksgiving.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Mills county??? - 11/16/15 11:21 PM

the RUT has been going pretty strong….bucks will be moving this weekend

Bring your grunt call and rattling horns. Lot of good looking 3.5 year olds, so if you are particular about shooting a mature buck, be careful because some of the 3.5 year old are looking really good this year!!!

100% of the mature bucks I saw this past week, none even took a look at corn. All the 3.5 year old and younger nibbled, but even they took a quick bite before moving on in search of a girlfriend ….
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Mills county??? - 11/16/15 11:51 PM

We're about 5 miles se of Goldthwaite. Early rut activity. Small bucks chasing around feeders. Bucks with noses down haven't seen any paired up yet.
Posted By: ctonsmitty

Re: Mills county??? - 11/17/15 01:51 AM

mooney……we saw several big bucks locked down with does on Nov 11 around San Saba/Richland Springs ….it's ON! I personally grunted and rattled in several 3.5-5.5 year old bucks last week, but elected to take em with my Nikon vs my Weatherby!!!
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Mills county??? - 11/17/15 01:57 AM

Originally Posted By: ctonsmitty
mooney……we saw several big bucks locked down with does on Nov 11 around San Saba/Richland Springs ….it's ON! I personally grunted and rattled in several 3.5-5.5 year old bucks last week, but elected to take em with my Nikon vs my Weatherby!!!

worthless
Posted By: bigbroke12

Re: Mills county??? - 11/17/15 02:45 AM

will be at my place in sw mills county sunday thru wednesday hoping to see one of these guys! this past week had a couple decent hunts, with a guest knocking down a spike. most recent pics of these two were last monday and tuesday so hoping theyre still breathing!

Posted By: tbgascorer

Re: Mills county??? - 11/17/15 01:48 PM

I will elaborate on what I've seen. Halloween, the bucks were searching like crazy, all bucks including the old ones. Early afternoon of November 6th while driving in, my daughter and I saw four separate mature bucks that had isolated does apart from Evant to Priddy. You know the places they segregate them, open pastures, by the road, fence corners, etc. Places they aren't likely to run into other deer and can do their thing. Like clockwork, every year. I will say this, Dad and I had to run errands on 11/15. We drove from Priddy to Comanche through some of the deerest looking country you've ever seen, then to Brownwood, down to Zephyr back to Priddy. We didn't see a single deer and we were looking. We are on the downhill slide of the first rut. But, it continue to be good through at least Thanksgiving because of the high number of does that need to be bred.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum