Texas Hunting Forum

Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day?

Posted By: Mr. T.

Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:04 AM

A friend of mine called me to help him find a deer that he had shot yesterday evening. We found the deer at about 10:00am this morning, 18 hours after it had been shot. It was not gut shot but just ran a long ways before dieing. Temp last night about 55 degrees. He asked me if the meat would be okay. I said "I don't know." He took it to the processor saying that "Every Saturday on TV, bow hunters shoot a deer in the evening and then "Come Back," the next morning to find it." My question. Is the meat okay to eat?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:13 AM

Processor will be able to tell very quickly when he start to process it. It will be very strong tasting at the least if it is still good.
Posted By: HWY_MAN

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:23 AM

I will not eat a deer that's been laying out for 24 hours.
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:45 AM

So 18 hours is okay?

I have kept deer when it got down into the 40s, but 55 degrees I would not. I would not be happy about it at all. But it scares me to think that it might make someone sick. It is way to easy to get a deer in Texas to chance it. IMO
If it was a buck keep your cape or your skull, and go shoot another deer for meat.
Posted By: Grizz

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:46 AM

55 isn't very cold and 18 hours is an awfully long time for the guts to be in it. I don't think I would eat it.

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:50 AM

18 hrs is a long time, but did that deer die right away or 12 or more hrs later? The processors will know right away if the deer was still okay to eat.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:54 AM

With a clean shot that meat is just fine.... Id be havin straps for dinner
Posted By: el_cazador713

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 03:54 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
18 hrs is a long time, but did that deer die right away or 12 or more hrs later? The processors will know right away if the deer was still okay to eat.

Very true, processor will be able to tell you quickly. I think that is a bit long at that temp.
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 12:13 PM

Shade or sun makes a difference too. If the deer was in the shade, you gotta chance. If the deer was in the sun I'm sayin no way I'd eat it. I agree the processor will know.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 12:37 PM

Nope. Doubt it. Sorry.
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 01:53 PM

Would not even try.

No.

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:02 PM

If you left your sammich out there would you eat it the next day?
Posted By: tShawnB

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:25 PM

I have done this before on a bow kill doe and the meat was fine. It was early October and I believe the temps where in the 50's overnight. Let the processor decide; however, I processed mine myself at the time.
Posted By: JThoele

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:28 PM

I've ate Texas roadkill deer more than once and here I am...
Posted By: hook_n_line

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
With a clean shot that meat is just fine.... Id be havin straps for dinner

Clean shot a bled out good, no problem.

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Cast
If you left your sammich out there would you eat it the next day?

Sure... just fry it up real quick

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:52 PM

I think under forty degrees would be my limit, but I would sniff test and maybe cook up a bit and taste it.
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 02:52 PM

... but did that deer die right away or 12 or more hrs later? The processors will know right away if the deer was still okay to eat.

x2 - I would have butchered it myself immediately and make it all into jerkey, and enjoy it without a second thought (stronger taste desirable in jerkey - and marinating a day or two in solution including curing salt), checking of course for spoilage. Where was the shot? front quarters and tenderloins may be questionable (if shot nearby), but I bet straps and rear-quarters would be recoverable.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 03:14 PM

From a food safety standpoint, that meat should not be eaten. Bacteria has had far too long to proliferate at 55 degrees + the internal body temp of the animal being higher than that even after death.
Posted By: rob valle

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 03:38 PM

Bear Grylls would eat it
Posted By: tlk

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 03:50 PM

Uhhhhh - that would be a big NO for me. Not worth the risk of getting food poison. If you ever had it before you will never want it again

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 03:54 PM

Meat can go a long ways before its not good to eat...

Cook at the right temps and you will kill any bacteria..

now... don't just walk up on a dead animal with no signs of wounds and decide that's good to eat...
Posted By: Nitro27

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 04:59 PM

Take it to the processor and have a bunch of sausage made you wont get your meat back anyway. Some other sucker that cleaned ,quartered and had his in a cooler right away will.

This is the exact reason why I don't go to the processor anymore.
The amount of people that would take this deer to the processor and drop it off after it had been dead for 18 hrs with the low of 55 degrees.

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 05:13 PM

Why waste deer on sausage.. that's what pigs are for

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 05:14 PM

I'd find me another processor if that is how yours does his processing.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: HWY_MAN
I will not eat a deer that's been laying out for 18 hours.

I would guess it prolly had a strong odor when you field dressed it... No sir I wouldn't eat it.
Posted By: DH3

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 09:11 PM

Gut shot ?? No way in hell. bounce
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 09:47 PM

No doubt. Not all processors are scumbags
Posted By: TxHunter80

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/16/15 11:46 PM

It's not worth the risk at 55 degrees.
Posted By: bucksnbass357

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 03:40 AM

Processor will be able to tell very quickly when he start to process it. It will be very strong tasting at the least if it is still good.

This. cheers Personally, I would not chance it.
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 04:07 AM

No.
Posted By: cattle69

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 04:22 AM

Would say the side that was on the ground no and the other side yes, tenders no and both back straps probably good. Let your nose be your guide.
Posted By: splash556

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 04:35 AM

Nope. Give it to the neighbor that hasn't returned the tools he borrowed.
Posted By: Brother Phil

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 05:11 AM

I had that happen to me several years ago. It was late in the season, and cold. The deer was fine. 55 degrees f is close. I would feel better if it was 50 f or less. I think the deer would still be ok. Even though there is the issue of trapped body heat, the meat is not exposed to oxidation, and is protected by the skin/membrane.
Posted By: Squirrel Sniper

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 12:01 PM

Stock up on pepto bismul and immodium.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 12:45 PM

Even if the meat didn't spoil, it will taste very gamey. When you stress animals out before they die, the meat will be tougher and gamey.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 06:20 PM

Ya'll can get after it if you want, but I am going to pass.
Posted By: bull279

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 06:35 PM

If it was 40 degrees... maybe. 55 degrees for 18 hours is kind of pushing it. A processor could tell you better, but I wouldn't risk it.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Nitro27
Take it to the processor and have a bunch of sausage made you wont get your meat back anyway. Some other sucker that cleaned ,quartered and had his in a cooler right away will.

This is the exact reason why I don't go to the processor anymore.
The amount of people that would take this deer to the processor and drop it off after it had been dead for 18 hrs with the low of 55 degrees.

roflmao
Posted By: chalet

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/17/15 09:45 PM

Leave a deer on the ground overnight at my place and coyotes will have it chewed down to nothing by the next morning. I wouldn't eat a deer that had been laying that long unless it was close to freezing.
Posted By: passthru

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/18/15 12:33 AM

Originally Posted By: splash556
Nope. Give it to the neighbor that hasn't returned the tools he borrowed.

roflmao
Now this is funny.
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/18/15 02:36 AM

If you are concerned the answer is no.
Posted By: Central texas

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/20/15 12:43 AM

No
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/20/15 03:34 AM

Which is why I take neck shots. grin stir peep

Joke aside, I wouldn't eat it either, as most others have said earlier.
Posted By: TexasVine

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/20/15 04:43 AM

No!
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/20/15 04:56 AM

I wouldn't eat it...However, a friend of mine guts his Deer and hangs it for 3 days even with high daily temps of 70....He's been doing it 30+ years and according to him the meat is better...I won't eat deer meat at his house btw.....lol
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/22/15 01:44 PM

I'd say the key question was asked early on, "when did it die?" If it has been dead for 18 hours at that temp I wouldn't eat it. If it took 12 hours to die, then it would probably taste very strong due to the stress hormones and build up of muscle waste products... but it would likely be safe to eat.
Posted By: Pope&Young

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/23/15 11:17 PM

You got that right
Posted By: Bittercreek

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/24/15 06:38 AM

Once-Again.
NO!
Posted By: Eastxhuntr

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 11/24/15 06:56 PM

Had a buddy kill a deer one evening. Found it that next morning. Ended up processing it and eating it.. I miss that dude.

edit- he moved out of state a couple years back.
Posted By: TEXAN1970

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 12/01/15 06:20 PM

The Meat is fine
Posted By: emorydog

Re: Shot a deer one day, found it the next. Is the meat any good the next day? - 12/03/15 02:14 PM

Why chance it. Can't see bacteria, who cares about the taste. I'm out
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum