Texas Hunting Forum

Encounter with the big 6 (story)

Posted By: MudEngineer

Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 04:21 AM

I have a lot of pics of this buck over the last 3 yrs but none to upload from this IPad. The biggest six point I've ever seen. Wanted to kill him to get him out of the gene pool but never saw him until today, 3 yrs later. He came out into an oat field with a doe and I knew it was him immediately. He's not a six now but a 5 pt, lots of mass and tall too. His face is nearly entirely white (grey), his body is twice the size of the doe he was with and he wasn't getting around very good. Not limping, just kinda slow. I watched him for an hour and thought about all the pics I had of him and how he had bested me for three years and just decided to let him go. I know it wasn't the smart thing to do, I could have killed him easily but I just didn't want to. I left my stand well after dark and through the binoculars all I could see was his white face. I didn't kill anything this evening but I will remember it as one of my best hunts...........just sayin'.
Posted By: dlrz71

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 04:25 AM

up Sometimes it isn't about the kill cheers
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 11:40 AM

cheers
Posted By: wtr

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 01:04 PM

up
Posted By: Eastwood

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 01:48 PM

Yeah, sometimes I let stuff go because I'm thinking, he lived this long who am I to take him out.
Posted By: Cast

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 01:51 PM

Yes. Well done.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 02:41 PM

I applaud your thoughts, but how do you think he'll feel getting dragged down by coyotes or not being able to get up out his bed one morning and taking hours to die?
Posted By: Yildiz

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 03:00 PM

Really? He shares a awesome story with us and that's your response? Comments like that is why people don't post thief stories

thanks for sharing mud. After watching deer on cams for years and naming them etc if does become a relationship haha. What a smart awesome buck.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Yildiz
Really? He shares a awesome story with us and that's your response? Comments like that is why people don't post thief stories

thanks for sharing mud. After watching deer on cams for years and naming them etc if does become a relationship haha. What a smart awesome buck.

Don't be so sensitive. It is an awesome story, and my point was it could have come to a more noble end for the deer then what he might face down the road. There's nothing wrong with it ending either way. Op respected his adversary and decided to let him soldier on. Had he taken him, after three years, we'd have applauded that as well.
Posted By: Yildiz

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 03:21 PM

It was his choice, he made it. He told the story.

The deer may have walked off the field laid down and died peacefully...maybe he knew the hunter was there.
Pretty sure you said "dragged down by coyotes" Why what if...

In other news I've only seen a couple does

Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 04:32 PM

Good story Mud
Posted By: Thenickel05

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 10:00 PM

Cool story Mud. I too have a old 6 point buck on my lease I call "Hollyfield." He's got the body of a brahma bull and jacked up right ear. Monarch buck that rules the Montague county woods.
Posted By: TallTines&Pines

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/15/15 11:15 PM

very cool story. Thanks for sharing!
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/16/15 02:00 AM

Originally Posted By: dlrz71
up Sometimes it isn't about the kill cheers

Yes sir!
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: Encounter with the big 6 (story) - 11/16/15 02:05 AM

Originally Posted By: TallTines&Pines
very cool story. Thanks for sharing!