Texas Hunting Forum

Site in Rifle before Deer season

Posted By: YellowDog

Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 03:42 PM

How many of hunter site in your rifle before Deer season? Guy at a party last night. said "My gun is still sited in from last year" never goes out and checks his gun. I check my gun by shooting coyotes in Sept and October. I think everyone should check their gun before the hunt.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 03:44 PM

I shot a pig in the ear hole at 225 a month before deer season and still went to the range to verify zero two days before season. I don't want to take a chance.
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:08 PM

The week before every year and I still worry about if it is "On."
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:10 PM

I shoot frequently in the off season yet I still go to the range to check exact zero prior to the season.

I will never understand those who spend thousands of dollars and many hours preparing and hunting, but won't spend 1 hour and $20 to make sure their rifle is ready to go.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:10 PM

Shot mine in June, August, and October and shot it again at the place after hauling it 270 miles. You never know.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:12 PM

When me and the kiddos go to the range before a hunt it's not just to check zero, it's also to check ourselves. We don't shoot enough to just go without some practice. Notice I said before a hunt...Not just at the beginning season...
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:13 PM

It'll be on.. unless that slick 10 shows at 100yds..
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:14 PM

I shoot off and on throughout the off season with mine. The gun isn't traveled with and I hand load my ammo. If I change to a different lot of bullets/powder/or primers I will re-check it. I usually pick a set of brass and shoot till it cracks/loose primer etc. Also I resight after cleaning if need be.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:16 PM

I always check mine before the season starts.
Posted By: Captain Luke

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:19 PM

Just shot a javelina at 140 yards. I'm on.
Posted By: boonee

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:19 PM

I bore sighted 6 rifles, the Friday before opening day. One was a new rifle and scope we sold to the guy. I suggested he go to the range. He informed me that "it will be close enough" Several of the guys said they were going to the range before they left to go hunt. But I doubt that happened.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:20 PM

I hunt year round so most stay sighted in. Always double check at the range at camp when I get here though.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Captain Luke

worthless

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
Originally Posted By: Captain Luke

worthless
Posted By: olenarey87

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:30 PM

I always check mine before season. Unfortunately that means I don't have the excuse of "my rifle must not have been sighted in" when I miss.

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: boonee
I bore sighted 6 rifles, the Friday before opening day. One was a new rifle and scope we sold to the guy. I suggested he go to the range. He informed me that "it will be close enough" Several of the guys said they were going to the range before they left to go hunt. But I doubt that happened.

mad eek2 wtf
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:39 PM

I had to resight several that went back to Remington. One I'm hunting with hasn't been shot since Oct of last year.
Posted By: StretchR

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 04:57 PM

I always sight it in before the season and again if I do any substantial travel just in case the scope was knocked around any. I also like to spend some time shooting before the season. This year I shot about an extra 80 rounds before the opening of the general whitetail season. I figure that $100 dollars in ammo and range fee not that much compared to the other costs of hunting. I shoot relatively inexpensive Remington Core-Lokt PSP 150 gr (.308). With my rifle they hit where I point, if I've practiced...

Posted this photo elsewhere, but shot this buck on Tuesday. Hit it exactly where I aimed. Shoting at moderate distance of 120 yards as he crossed a pipeline. I can see that if someone is shooting deer at a feeder at 75 yards or under, that a bore-sight might be enough. In east Texas and central Texas woods and brush, long shots requiring accuracy don't come that often.

Don't use me to judge scale on the buck. I'm 6'7" and 260 pounds. I'd make anything less than an elk look smaller.

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 05:08 PM

Originally Posted By: StretchR
I always sight it in before the season and again if I do any substantial travel just in case the scope was knocked around any. I also like to spend some time shooting before the season. This year I shot about an extra 80 rounds before the opening of the general whitetail season. I figure that $100 dollars in ammo and range fee not that much compared to the other costs of hunting. I shoot relatively inexpensive Remington Core-Lokt PSP 150 gr (.308). With my rifle they hit where I point, if I've practiced...

Posted this photo elsewhere, but shot this buck on Tuesday. Hit it exactly where I aimed. Shoting at moderate distance of 120 yards as he crossed a pipeline. I can see that if someone is shooting deer at a feeder at 75 yards or under, that a bore-sight might be enough. In east Texas and central Texas woods and brush, long shots requiring accuracy don't come that often.

Don't use me to judge scale on the buck. I'm 6'7" and 260 pounds. I'd make anything less than an elk look smaller.

Nice brow tines!!
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 05:11 PM

Why is traveling a cause for "checking" your POI/POA. My dad knocked my rifle off the bed the morning before a match, although I wasn't happy I wasn't worried about it holding zero hell first shot of the match was a 300yrd cold bore...... Dialed up 1.3 bang ping moral of the story don't waste your money on cheep, not to be confused w inexpensive, gear. I mean if you check in November do you recheck December or each trip to the stand, on is on. OR is it what tell our wives so we have an excuse to hit the range one more time
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 05:24 PM

Originally Posted By: YellowDog
How many of hunter site in your rifle before Deer season? Guy at a party last night. said "My gun is still sited in from last year" never goes out and checks his gun. I check my gun by shooting coyotes in Sept and October. I think everyone should check their gun before the hunt.

The sad thing is, some folks do the same thing with a bow! It's not just sighting in your weapon (that should be a given), you have to practice! They just don't understand........

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: SingleShot85
Why is traveling a cause for "checking" your POI/POA. My dad knocked my rifle off the bed the morning before a match, although I wasn't happy I wasn't worried about it holding zero hell first shot of the match was a 300yrd cold bore...... Dialed up 1.3 bang ping moral of the story don't waste your money on cheep, not to be confused w inexpensive, gear. I mean if you check in November do you recheck December or each trip to the stand, on is on. OR is it what tell our wives so we have an excuse to hit the range one more time

1. Because I'm traveling from 3500 ft to 1500 ft and hunting in different weather conditions than when I last shot.
2. I don't have cheap equipment, but you never know when the vibrations and bumps of travel might have somehow changed something.
3. I've seen a rifle fall 15' out of a tree and hit two limbs on the way down, zero was fine. I've seen one leaning in a corner on a hardwood floor slip down, was off a foot.
4. You can never get too much range time! up
Posted By: maximum

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 05:56 PM

i can't imagine any excuse of not confirming
your firearm is dead on before shooting at a
game animal. that's something everyone should
have already done before they set foot out in
the hunting field.
Posted By: SingleShot85

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 05:59 PM

1. Is a legitimate reason to check zero although 2k is only marginal drop
4. Is the means by which you'll never have to "check" your zero.
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 10:03 PM

I shoot/hunt with most of my rifles several times a month. Unless I change something on the rifle or change ammo, I don't worry about my zero being off.
I have a notebook that I write down what each rifles scope is zeroed for ammo wise. If I have the turrets set on zero, that rifle is good to go.
Posted By: MikeC

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 10:17 PM

I'm headed to the panhandle tomorrow morning. I went to the range this morning. I'm good to go!
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/12/15 10:22 PM

What you cant do is buy a box of 270 130 grain corlocks sight your gun in hunt with them and then next season buy a new box and expect it to be on again. Sometimes it works out but when I shot factory ammo still the variation from one lot to the next could be several inches off.
Posted By: TxImpalaClone

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 01:44 AM

I never have to sight my rifle in much, it has been pretty consistent the last few years. But then again I only use it for hunting and the rest of the year it is resting. I rarely shoot it out of season
Posted By: redfred

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:21 AM

My brother-in-law had a friend come out to his place to go hunting a few years ago. My B-I-L asked him if he had sighted in his rifle. He said he didn't need to - it had been in the safe all year. The next morning, the guy took three shots at a buck and missed. He came back to the house and shot at a target and found out that the scope was off by over a foot at 100 yards. One of the mounts was completely loose. He tightened it up, sighted in the gun, and hunted the rest of the weekend, and never saw another deer.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:24 AM

Yep, I go to the rang too...
Posted By: passthru

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:36 AM

Shot about 30 pigs this year with my rifles. Popped three coons with three shots just the other night as they ran like heck for their lives. My guns are sighted in and get shot January through September on flesh and fur. If I miss it's the operator, not the tool.
Posted By: J.G.

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:43 AM

I will never understand people that don't shoot all year not checking the rifle/ scope/ ammo zero, and getting no practice behind the rifle. Put a cheap base on, crap rings, and a scope just a step up from irons. Then feed it whatever box of mass produced ammo was on sale, never verify anything, then aim the rifle at a living animal. No one is going to tell me their rifle is "just that good" or they are "just that good of a shot" that's complete bs

I use fine tuned, hand loaded ammo, quality base and rings, and very good scopes. But you can bet I will check torque on all the screws and shoot the rifle I am taking mule deer hunting before I leave.
Posted By: syncerus

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:50 AM

I try hard to test fire before every hunt. I've had several "untouched" rifles from the safe do strange things in the past.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 03:09 AM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

mad eek2 wtf

Lordy lordy, are you telling me that a fella was going into the woods with an unfired weapon that was only bore sighted? I commend your customer service skills, I might have gotten fired over that one.

My step son had a similar deal on a Rem 700 and scope he bought at Wal-Mart for $275, though I asked him not too. We each fired 10 rounds at 25 yards and couldn't get one within 4" of center. Looking back I should have removed the scope and beat him over the head with it, because you know he just had to take it hunting. I am at peace, though knowing at 100 yards he will miss clean.
Posted By: gtrich94

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 04:07 AM

Originally Posted By: 8pointdrop
When me and the kiddos go to the range before a hunt it's not just to check zero, it's also to check ourselves. We don't shoot enough to just go without some practice. Notice I said before a hunt...Not just at the beginning season...

I do the same thing with my kids.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 04:57 AM

Only an unethical fool wouldn't check his rifle before season. I check mine several times during season. Bouncing around in trucks, through brush, up and down stands, ect. I don't give a rats [censored] if a guy doesn't check his gun and missed clean but it's irresponsible and unethical to wound an animal because of lazyness.
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By: Txhillbilly
I shoot/hunt with most of my rifles several times a month. Unless I change something on the rifle or change ammo, I don't worry about my zero being off.

Many a buck has made it to live another day after being shot at by a "one shot wonder" who never practices because they don't like recoil, are too cheap to spend money on ammo, or both.

Checking the accuracy of a rifle can be achieved by firing a single, three shot group. Checking the accuracy of the shooter is a different matter altogether.

Unfortunately, the old saying "practice until you can't miss" is often wasted on deer hunters.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 05:15 AM

A lot have also lived being shot at by folks who shoot a lot, but can't overcome the effects of buck fever.
Posted By: BigPig

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 12:40 PM

The wife and I shoot our rifles at least once a month, just for practice and fun. I still took my deer rifle to the range 2 days before opening day, my OCD kicked in and I figure I owe it to the deer. I want to make the the most humane kill possible, the placement is up to me and I know the bullet will hit where I aim.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:04 PM

How many sight in with a 125gr bullet, then hunt with a 150gr bullet and wonder why they didn't hit where they were aiming. Or they come home from the range and clean the barrel and then lube the inside with a bunch of gun oil.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:18 PM

If you are hunting with me and miss or wound a deer because you didn't check zero your hunting has ended and it's never being offered again.

No exceptions.
Posted By: Bbear

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:31 PM

At least I know this one is sighted in.
Posted By: crumrw

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 02:35 PM

Was at the range the night before opening day.
Posted By: MoTex

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 04:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

mad eek2 wtf

Lordy lordy, are you telling me that a fella was going into the woods with an unfired weapon that was only bore sighted? I commend your customer service skills, I might have gotten fired over that one.

My step son had a similar deal on a Rem 700 and scope he bought at Wal-Mart for $275, though I asked him not too. We each fired 10 rounds at 25 yards and couldn't get one within 4" of center. Looking back I should have removed the scope and beat him over the head with it, because you know he just had to take it hunting. I am at peace, though knowing at 100 yards he will miss clean.

I had a rifle bore sighted once and could not hit a 24" x36" poster board at 50 yds.
I've shot same bullet weight different manufacturer and they shot six inches different.
I always make sure rifle/pistol is on before hunting!
Posted By: Brian C.

Re: Site in Rifle before Deer season - 11/13/15 06:17 PM

Ammo is cheap....Bang away
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum