Texas Hunting Forum

Feeder vs Calling

Posted By: PoppaG22

Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 05:53 AM

Curious as to how many people truly attempt calling deer vs using a feeder here in Texas. Have looked into maybe testing the call this season.
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 06:32 AM

You will find that deer are generally not as responsive as predators to game calls.
Posted By: TFF Caribou

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 11:38 AM

I will rattle a couple times per sit, but that's about it
Posted By: kmon11

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 03:27 PM

Have called in quite a few bucks over the years. Rattling, grunts, doe bleats have all worked.

Even while sitting watching a feeder have had them come in to calls.

It doesn't work nearly all the time but when it works it works well especially where pretty thick woods and cover.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 03:31 PM

Calling or rattling is all about timing and time of the season. Feeder is conditioning them to a time and noise with the corn.
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 03:36 PM

I did a 90 second rattling sequence Saturday evening then blew a grunt call a few times and had a 4.5 yr old 8pt come running in at 80 yards. The wife dropped him in his tracks. That's the 1st time in 3 years a buck at that lease came to rattling. My lease in the hill country is a different story. I call in deer on a regular basis. Alot of calling deer is about timing and being in the right place at the right time.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 03:45 PM

Originally Posted By: samtx
Curious as to how many people truly attempt calling deer vs using a feeder here in Texas. Have looked into maybe testing the call this season.

Hunt your heaviest used trails if you want more of a challenge or can't afford feeders and corn.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 04:13 PM

I've heard of electronic calls that sound like a feeder going off. I guess if you have a bunch of feeder trained deer, that might work.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: dogdown23
I did a 90 second rattling sequence Saturday evening then blew a grunt call a few times and had a 4.5 yr old 8pt come running in at 80 yards. The wife dropped him in his tracks. That's the 1st time in 3 years a buck at that lease came to rattling. My lease in the hill country is a different story. I call in deer on a regular basis. Alot of calling deer is about timing and being in the right place at the right time.

Pictures?
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Feeder vs Calling - 11/09/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: Palehorse
I've heard of electronic calls that sound like a feeder going off. I guess if you have a bunch of feeder trained deer, that might work.

I heard a recording of the gate closing and vehicles driving off works too. grin

I rattled once Sat morn and 20 seconds into it was a 4 pt staring right at me through the only window in the trees. 5 minutes later he finally un froze and blew like crazy. 10 minutes later a nice buck came in behind me. No feeder was being used as the bat died a couple weeks ago.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum