Texas Hunting Forum

Solo doe?

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Solo doe? - 11/09/15 05:06 AM

Is this a normal part of the rut, seeing solo doe? I have always thought of doe as group animals and never have seen them out solo, with no bucks chasing or anything. I may have missed this part of rut education....
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 02:57 PM

I don't think it's unusual. I suspect a number of reasons, though. Rut will break them up temporarily or death, and it might take a year to rebuild her family.
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Enter Standman
I don't think it's unusual. I suspect a number of reasons, though. Rut will break them up temporarily or death, and it might take a year to rebuild her family.

x2

Seen plenty of doe alone rut or not. Mostly during rut though or after a family member has been shot.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 03:24 PM

I see single does all the time. Nothing unusual about it.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 03:40 PM

Originally Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Yep
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 04:09 PM

Solo does are the only does I shoot. My dad shot one in Menard that had a fawn and the fawn stood there baying at her for 30 minutes. Pop ended up shooting the fawn too because he felt bad for it.
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 06:27 PM

Posted By: B-Man

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 06:36 PM

Yeah. Right now I'm not seeing single does but does with young fawns and lots of them with twins so those does are off limits.
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 06:47 PM

Originally Posted By: TexFlip
Solo does are the only does I shoot. My dad shot one in Menard that had a fawn and the fawn stood there baying at her for 30 minutes. Pop ended up shooting the fawn too because he felt bad for it.

Wow, pops not afraid to make the tough decisions! This made me laugh.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Solo doe? - 11/09/15 07:12 PM

Y'all are putting way too much thought into it.
I don't think they knowingly have "families" or family members. If the fawns are big enough usually they will be fine. The only time I'll hold off on a doe, if hunting for one, is when they are in large groups. I don't want to educate the whole herd.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum