Texas Hunting Forum

My first deer

Posted By: Indyoshi

My first deer - 11/08/15 05:48 PM

Headed out to the Sam Houston National Forrest yesterday to scope and find a place. I saw two does at sunset but didn't get an Antlerless permit this year. I hiked out about 3/4 of a mile on a trail and then about 500 yards in to the woods. Got to my spot and in the climbing tree stand by about 5:30am.

I was apprehensive once there because the wind shifted a little and my best wind land was more covered by branches and I couldnt see very far. I was tired from sleeping a couple hours in my truck and I remembered I had a protien bar in my bag. After ruffling through my bag I got my snack at about 7am and then realized just how loud those wrappers are!

I told myself if I didnt see anything I would just leave by 9:30 so I could get home to my awesome wife and watch some football.

Skip to 8am... im half dozing off and glad I had my harness and was secure. I used the doe bleat can a few times and was looking at posts on this site..

8:30 am I hear some branches break. I look down and there is a deer making its way to me. I start to lift my rifle and it looks up at me. I thought it was a doe but still stopped moving and waited for it to start grazing again. Then I looked in the scope and saw it was a spike! It was exactly what I wanted. A deer good for meat! I looked carefully for what seemed forever to make sure he didnt have any other points. Then centered the crosshairs on the lungs and BANG! He kicked like ive seen in the baxillion shoes ive watched and ran off about 40 yards when I heard him crash.

I climbed down and found him easily but the work was just to begin. Then I had the task of dragging him, my rifle, treestand, and backpack up 500 yards to the trail and then about a half mile back tk my truck! That was way more taxing than I thought it would be and had to make freauent stops to catch my breath....now back to the truck, got him vhecked in, and packed in ice stuck in traffic.

Whata day! Glad I picked up some tips on this site and especially hunted the wind and made sure I scoped and had a good entry point. Cheers! Time to get home so I can grill up some backstraps!

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 05:52 PM

Congrats on your first deer cheers
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 05:56 PM

Congrats compadre! Got any pics?
Posted By: deedeetaylor

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 05:56 PM

Congratulations !
Posted By: Western

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 06:00 PM

Congrats and great story, that is how you do it right there up
Posted By: Mr. T.

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 06:04 PM

That's what hunting is all about, making life long great memories.
Posted By: Spent Brass

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 06:08 PM

Well done!
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 06:50 PM

Pic didnt load last time...thanks everyone!

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 08:58 PM

Pic wont load from my phone. Ill load it soon. Got home and already processed myself (no burger just main cuts)
Posted By: Txhillbilly

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 09:19 PM

clap Way to go!

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 09:41 PM

Ok... lets try this pic thing again!

Heres my "Trophy" buck! lol. I know some of you get monsters, but I am just glad to join the club of those who have got a deer. Not to mention I think it would have killed me to drag out anything bigger. hahaha

Spike Down:

Processing first deer (took about 45 min, but only got main cuts as I dont have a grinder yet)

Meat for the freezer:

Thanks again for all the congrats. Im stoked that I was able to get one and cant wait to hunt again. Now I need to find land to lease or a REALLY good buddy..hahaha.

I will be hitting the bay Wednesday for some RedHead duck hunting with the Mrs!!. Love this time of year!

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 09:43 PM

Sorry to go post crazy, but just wanted to point out it looks like a gut shot, but it was double lung. Tad further back than I wanted, but I was shaking in excitement.
Posted By: mikeydon

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 10:15 PM

HEY BUD CONGRAT'S ON FIRST DEER up, YOU GOT MEAT,YOU AIN'T GOING HUNGRY TONIGHT,LOL.
SOME OF US HAS SPENT A BUNCH AND WE AIN'T GOT NOTHING YET,HAHAHA
IT ONLY GET'S WORSE FROM HERE ON OUT,YOUR HOOKED NOW. cheers
Posted By: frognot

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 10:24 PM

Congrats on a mighty fine first deer! You've got a buncha fine meals in the near future and a memory that'll last a lifetime.
Posted By: Espy

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 10:29 PM

congrats on your first deer looks like you did a good job. up
Posted By: Revoman

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 10:47 PM

We all had to start somewhere. Congrats on your 1st

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 10:55 PM

That's gonna be some prime venison! Congrats again!
Posted By: clu

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 11:01 PM

Congratulations Indyoshi! Got me to thinking it's been 30 years since my first doe and 29 for my first buck. You will always remember this one, just like all the deer to come. It's funny how I can't remember what I had for dinner last night but I can remember all of the deer hunts that led to kills.

Making memories my man, making memories!

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 11:10 PM

Here is a cool website that can give you a lot of ideas on what to do with all that awesome venison. http://honest-food.net/
Another member posted this and I've used a lot of the recipes on it.
Posted By: wtr

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 11:17 PM

up

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 11:23 PM

Ill check out those recipes for sure. I do pretty well in the kitchen so ill maybe post whT I whip up.

My wife and I used to live in galveston till we bought a place in Dickinson. If you ever want to grab a beer let me know!
Posted By: steven h

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 11:31 PM

That's what it's all about! Congrats, that's. Memory that will be with you forever

Re: My first deer - 11/08/15 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Indyoshi
Ill check out those recipes for sure. I do pretty well in the kitchen so ill maybe post whT I whip up.

My wife and I used to live in galveston till we bought a place in Dickinson. If you ever want to grab a beer let me know!

Heck yea. cheers And absolutely post if you've got some good recipes!
Posted By: Western

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 12:50 AM

Hey, my 1st few where does, so that buck is a monster compared to my "1st". It all cooks up
Posted By: kmkellar

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 02:14 AM

Congratulations on your first deer and a full freezer. You'll never forget the experience!
Posted By: kpg4923

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 03:31 AM

Congratulations.

ALL deer are trophies!
Posted By: JH117

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 03:59 AM

Man that's awesome.... I got my first deer last year and boy was it a rush! Congrats on your first one and good luck for many years to come!
Posted By: kry226

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 08:42 AM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 12:37 PM

Congrats! Nicely done...

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 09:14 PM

So I processed myself and have the "leftovers" double bagged and on ice. For those of you who process yourself and live in a place where you cant throw it in the woods...do you just pitch it in the normal trash? It comes tomorrow so I am keeping it on ice so it wont smell too bad.

Is there any other good way to dispose of the hide, carcass? I skinned the head and letting the bugs take care of it in my garden so I can bleach it....gotta at least save that from my first buck...but found out that I need to put it in a cage or tie it down cuz something tried to run off with it last night (possum maybe or coon?) Ive caught both in traps here...suburbia..
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 09:18 PM

I just double bag in heavy contractor bags

Congrats!!!
Posted By: rickym

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 09:20 PM

Double black trash bag and put it in your trash can
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 10:45 PM

absolutely loved reading this story! Congrats on your first deer and welcome to the fracas. It will undoubtedly consume much of your money, most of your time and all of your thoughts in the years to come.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 11:16 PM

Congrats on your first deer. Welcome to the addiction. cheers
Posted By: txshntr

Re: My first deer - 11/09/15 11:17 PM

Congrats on the first!!! Here is to many more cheers
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: My first deer - 11/10/15 12:13 AM

Very nice, congrats up

Re: My first deer - 11/10/15 01:26 AM

Thanks again for all the replies. I started hunting in 2008 with a bow. I hunted one season and missed a buck my first time and then got too cold to draw my bow on a doe after sitting in a tree stand in 24 degree weather in Indiana. A bunch of events happened and I ended up selling every bit of hunting and camping equipment and moving to texas. Flash forward to three years ago and my newly aquired wife and I began all kinds of adventures including finding a ranch and went hog hunting. We both got our first hogs and I was bitten by the hunting bug again. We ended up becoming friends with the ranch owner and went up there almost every weekend and got our fill of helping him keep control of yotes since he had a bunch of new fallow, axis, and black buck in his HF. We sold the boat and got four wheelers and loved it. The allure soon wore off with the HF and his "hog pen" which was a 48 acre "stocked" low fence area with hogs. .. it made it very quick and easy to get a hog, but wasnt really hunting to me. Last year we then went on a duck hunt with a guide and loved that. Which brings me here...this year I wanted a deer and didnt have the funds to find a lease or buy land, so public it is. I would definitely love land that I could set up and get stands on, but public land really makes it feel like a hunt to me.

Anyways..I could ramble forever, but thatnks again for all the congrats. Hope to meet some new friends along the way and make more awesome memories.
Posted By: TXHOGSLAYER

Re: My first deer - 11/10/15 02:10 AM

Great story! Congrats on your first. You will never forget the memory.
Posted By: BMD

Re: My first deer - 11/10/15 05:16 AM

up
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: My first deer - 09/01/16 03:22 PM

This is awesome. Congrats
Posted By:

Re: My first deer - 09/02/16 01:36 AM

Congrats on your first deer man! And one from sam houston, thats something to be proud of! I have hunted there more than afew times over the years, and im an experienced hunter, and have never gotten anything, so for that i give you serious props!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum