Texas Hunting Forum

Live Coleman county

Posted By: allterrain

Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 02:13 PM

Rained all night and rained stopped bout 7 15 this morning, wrapped my rifle in a trash bag to keep it dry while driving and walking thru the woods. 6 40 am had 3 mature regular bucks come in, a main frame 10 with 11 points, a nice 8 and a very dark almost black wide 8 point. Not what I am looking for with my rifle and had 3 does pass thru at 8 05, now some turkey are headed to the feeder, and my son shot an 8 this morning.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 02:15 PM

Congrats to your son!!!

Good luck up

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 02:30 PM

Thanks good luck to you txshntr.
Posted By: North2AK

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: txshntr
Congrats to your son!!!

Good luck up

X2
Posted By: Western

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: North2AK
Originally Posted By: txshntr
Congrats to your son!!!

Good luck up

X2

Saw the live photo of that buck, nice one.

At least Coleman Co. sounds like animals are on the move up
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 06:12 PM

X3. cheers
Posted By: dogcatcher

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 07:23 PM

cheers
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 07:33 PM

popcorn
Posted By: deerslayer96

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 10:45 PM

Well, sitting in the tripod this Evening while dad is in one of the tree stands. Now it's time to bow hunt a turkey for thanksgiving! Oh yeah, wind is blowing 15-25 it seems like.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 10:51 PM

Great area. I always liked Coleman. Good luck tonight.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 10:57 PM

Good luck. Wind is crazy in Callahan too.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:07 PM

Well, I just shot myself a thanksgiving turkey! With the bow that is. But had to finish it off with the 9mm. Hey dad! If you're in this thread, chicken fried turkey coming up!
Posted By: TAT

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:09 PM

Awesome.
Posted By: wacorusty

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:15 PM

Where you at? I'm in NW corner. We saw tons of movement midday yesterday on the way from Waco, but only saw a few yound 8's this morning. Winds blowong pretty hard over here.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:29 PM

Winds are strong we are located eastern part of coleman not far from lake brownwood

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:31 PM

Saw some doe trotting across an open area. Got a mature old doe with her nubby buck son on the feeder.
Posted By: Team By-God

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:37 PM

We are near Grosvenor, i didnt even get out this morning since i was going to tripod with my bow. Some activity on cameras, nothing this evening yet. Should have brought more clothes to the stand ..

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:44 PM

Sorry, meant NE. I'm 10 miles from Grosevenor. I was just there a few hours ago getting firewood. Dang clutch messed up on my chainsaw so I just bought some. Storm was pretty loud last night. I'm about to get out of this stand and have a cocktail and fire up the grill. Good luck guys.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:44 PM

It is pretty chilly with this wind. Glad I brought my coat to the tripod. I'm looking foward to dinner. I just got 2 doe come in to check on the cornless ground. One is about 15 yards in front of me.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/07/15 11:52 PM

They smelt the turkey blood. Lol. But good thing is, they didn't run away. Slowly walked off. May be to the right of me. But I got netting around me so I can't look.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 12:00 AM

Update****. the doe have crossed the open area. back to their beds they go.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 12:03 AM

I just had silver buck walk thru he is a fairly ok 10 point with good mass, I have been thinking all day how to put up a bow stand so I can bow hunt the silver buck. I had to go to my rifle stand to hunt because I forgot my trigger release for my bow, my bow stand is not in the area of my feeder.
Posted By: Longhunter

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 02:35 AM

I saw a nice young nine point. Congrats on your hunt.

Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 02:53 AM

^^^ young??

I hope that was sarcasm....

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 01:15 PM

Here we go Sunday morning, 7 13 and 2 new bucks come in , a big body 8 with good horns and a wide 8 about 19.5 inch spread. I have not seen these guys before. These are nice but not what I am after.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 01:27 PM

All I've seen so far this morning is does. It is still this morning.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 02:23 PM

After looking at the 2 last bucks the wide rack may go 21 inches wide, not very tall but long sweeping main beams that extend way forward. The other 8 was great mass tall but only about 16 inches
Or 17 inches wide and looked to be about 5 years i
Old, I will post pics when I pull my camera stick. Those 2 bucks have been gone for a while and I have a younger 8 eating now.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 02:37 PM

Sounds like a good morning, good luck up

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 04:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
^^^ young??

I hope that was sarcasm....

No sir, not sarcasm, he isn't but maybe 3.5... maybe!

Here is a head on view...

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 08:40 PM

^^^ the theory of relativity, lol.

At my lease a 3.5 yo buck is mid-aged and not young. Maybe that's considered young at your place if you have good neighbors and good management. I am lucky to ever see anything older than 4.5 in person (on camera all summer for sure but once season starts wave bye bye to those older guys).

Honestly though, I agree with you about him being 3-4.5 yo, he certainly isn't old, but he isn't a 1.5-2.5 yo deer either.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/08/15 08:43 PM

Allterrain, just gotta say between the buck your son shot and the ones you are passing up today, you must have one heck of a place. would love to see a pic of what you are after!

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye
Allterrain, just gotta say between the buck your son shot and the ones you are passing up today, you must have one heck of a place. would love to see a pic of what you are after!

Texas Buckeye we are fortunate to have a place with light hunting pressure around us, our problem is we have way too many 8s in the 125 class and rarely have 10s and up. My sons deer had a huge body with fantastic mass and brows but the main beam length and g3s were pretty weak so not a big score there. A great buck to take and we have hundreds of pictures of him since 2013. Here is what I saw this morning a wide young 8 on the right, and big body older 8 on the left and the bottom pic is a live pic of the big 8 that I took last year that I let him walk in 2013 and took him last year.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 12:44 AM

This is silver buck because of his silver color. Really want to take this guy with my bow but have passed him up with my rifle.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 01:43 AM

Yep, need ta take the eights and let the 10's have the girls. But everyone has their own management goals.. It was a nice change driving thru the mud ta hunt. It has been dry here this summer. Lookin forward ta next week...

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 02:51 AM

It's funny, wet wet spring produced huge weeds on my place (clay county, so a little bit away from Coleman) big enough to bury a deer, but summer was dry dry. Unfortunately the weeds didn't die back and now it's wet wet again due to several weeks in a row of rain. Ready for it to dry out a little. My truck is covered in mud, but it was mainly low spot crossings and my boots aren't muddy at all. The weeds are finally starting to die off but they are still high enough to hide most deer. Crazy year so far.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 02:55 AM

Good luck Allterrain, hope you can connect with an arrow in silver buck!!

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 04:50 PM

Allterrain, those are good bucks for the area. I've been trying to manage my little place for seven years now. I still have some ugly 7's that show up, but we're starting to see more 10's in with the 8's, high average would be 125-130". I've yet to see anything more than a 10 and the biggest (maybe most mature) I've seen was a heavy 5.5+ yr old 9 around 145" that jumped my arrow last year. never saw him again, btw.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/09/15 05:07 PM

Ever 3 or 4 years A really nice buck will be taken, but we have some deer that never reach 130 although they may have good mass and big bodies. I am really getting back into bow hunting and will take a mature 8 if given the chance, silver buck is mature and I might just let him go another year to breed but he may not score over 128 to 130 and is why I am not interested in taking him with my rifle, he has good mass. 140 class bucks are few and far between on our lease.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/11/15 12:28 PM

So much for a cold front. It's flat put warm this morning. Shoulda wore shorts. Winds supposed to be 20-30 gusts.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/11/15 01:00 PM

It's wierd, like they just shut down. Nothing last night. One doe cruised by as the sun came up and that's it. Feeders have piles of corn underneath.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/13/15 10:40 PM

We're back in our stands this Friday evening. Walked to my dads deer stand. As soon as I got in, had a flock of turkey roll by. Then there were more turkey on the feeder. Had to scare them away. Now I see another group of turkey on the other side of the property. My goodness, where did all of these turkey come from!
Posted By: TallTines&Pines

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/13/15 10:45 PM

Go get em! Looks like you have an awesome piece of land. I will be hunting Coleman county first of December. I don't have much experience hunting that part of Texas. Any suggestions? Im assuming the rut will have passed by then?

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/13/15 10:55 PM

We usually see rut activity right before thanksgiving. The weekend of thanksgiving is usually full swing of the rut.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/13/15 11:07 PM

In December our doe start to hit the feeders and graze the open fields, the bucks are still roaming looking for late season hot doe . Now I have turkey 30 yards from my bow stand but I think I will pass

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/13/15 11:14 PM

Hey, those are the same turkey that ate at the feeder. They left the feeder and went straight to you.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/13/15 11:34 PM

Got 2 doe eating acorns.
Posted By: TallTines&Pines

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/14/15 12:18 AM

Good deal buddy thanks for the info!

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/14/15 01:00 PM

Saturday morning. Sittin in the tripod. 52 degrees. 5-10 mph wind. Got my bow on the hanger and ready to use. I'm hearing turkey everywhere around me. Little bit of corn stacked up underneath the feeder. Let's get some activity going!

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/14/15 01:21 PM

9 point and a nubbing buck come to the feeder, the 9 has good g2s and 3s but is only about14 inches wide and he is young so maybe a good buck another 2 years from now. They just left and it is pretty quiet this morning. I have not seen any doe yet so no report on rut activity.

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/15/15 08:56 PM

Midday snack, first for this guy

Re: Live Coleman county - 11/15/15 10:18 PM

Originally Posted By: wacorusty
Midday snack, first for this guy

That's nice.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum