Texas Hunting Forum

Live from Wise

Posted By: KennyLee

Live from Wise - 11/07/15 01:03 PM

Have killed some B&C Mosquitos. Feeder doesn't appear to be working. Evidently have a new neighbor hunting on adjacent property since they [censored] so early and dark I couldn't see my watch to know the time. Light rain and light breeze. No deer.

Oh well, happy to be in the outdoors.
Posted By: TAT

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 01:12 PM

Good luck. I've heard a few shots. One pretty close and they shot again. One pretty far away.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 01:26 PM

Good luck to you as well. Nothing moving here. I can see almost a mile of pipeline right of way but nothing has crossed. That said, it's so grown up something could probably cross without me seeing it. Need a freeze or 6 badly.

Real tempted to get in the truck and see what was shot next door. Don't know the hunter, but know the landowner well.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 04:03 PM

popcorn
Posted By: Western

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 04:06 PM

Was slow for me this morning as well, did see a buck chasing does, but it was so fast all I could see was MB, or maybe g2's. Was a great morning though, 55* and no, to light wind. Direction of the breeze kind of sucked though.
Posted By: wtr

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 04:29 PM

Good luck this season!!!
Posted By: Homer Jay

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 07:41 PM

popcorn

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 08:55 PM

Uneventful morning. Haven't seen a single deer. Since feeder never went off, investigated and spent an hour fixing. Went to a new feeder I bought a month ago and it's already broken. Worked on it but ultimately dumped corn and gonna haul it in.

Too muddy to drive to the back part of my property (and favorite place to hunt) so I hiked back there to pull the camera. 4100 pics in 5 weeks and the card filled up on the 28th. Just starting to go through them and already see that a target from last year has really grown.

Out here by myself and not sure how I'd haul a buck by myself from my favorite stand, so hunting where I started this morning. Hand spread corn 200 yards in each direction. Surely I'll see something.
Posted By: RedSnake

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 09:13 PM

Let's see a pic of that target buck!

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 09:36 PM

Good luck. Can't never tell what might step out!!!!!hopefully this wind will lay in a little bit.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 10:09 PM

I'll see if I can upload one later. Wide 9 that would probably go 145ish. 6 year old I believe.

He's number 2 on the hit list. No pics of target 1 but neighbor saw him twice. Only a 4 year old this year but not sure I could pass him.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 10:12 PM

That sucks about the feeder. Good luck this afternoon up

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 10:14 PM

Maybe you will see one this evening. I'm hoping I do. It's really windy.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 10:16 PM

We had some feeder issues today also. We were able to get to ours though and fix it. Good luck out there bud. That big one will come your way.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 10:33 PM

Good luck amigo up

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 10:55 PM

Just saw first buck of gun season. Spike or maybe a fork horn at 600 yards. At least something is moving. Time to ditch the iPad.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 11:10 PM

Good luck. It's that time of the day!!! Prime time.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/07/15 11:11 PM

3 doe at feeder now

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 01:07 AM

What's he word kennylee? See anything or do any good? I watched those 3 doe for about 45 minutes. Might take one in the morning if I get a chance. Let us know how you did.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 01:18 AM

Saw another buck 600 yards the opposite direction about 10 min after the first. A bit better but still a young 8 point.

Saw two groups of does. Had 3 of them at the feeder when a young boar walked 40 yards from me. Smoked him and they never looked up.

Saw a couple more at dark,,but too dark to tell much.

Looking forward to the morning.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:52 AM

Congrats on the hog bud. I have some high hopes for the am hunt. Even if I don't see anything it's always fun to be in the deer woods. Other than my lease in Putnam I also have 68 acres of my own land I got a little over a year ago. It feels pretty good to own 68 acres and have just turned 34. It's in east Texas and have seen some pretty good deer there too. Always good to have options when hunting.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 12:49 PM

Back at it this morning. Yearling buck in the road when I pulled up to the gate. Saw a shooting star just as I sat in the stand. Gonna be a good day.
Posted By: outdoorsmen54

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 01:28 PM

Any update so far Kenny? Decided to skip this morning not realizing it was gonna be this chilly!

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 01:45 PM

Good luck kennylee. Keep us posted. It's nice out this am.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 01:47 PM

Have only seen a doe from the stand and she was moving fast. Just heard a shot from a new neighbor I haven't met. Bought 10 acres in a corner that's next to my favorite hunting spot. I'd have bought it if I knew it was for sale.

Contemplating hiking back to my favorite spot. Just not real excited about packing a buck out of ther should I shoot.

Just had another doe come out as I was typing. Grass is so high I can only see them if they raise their head.

I was aware of the cold and not dressed for it. Glad the sun is out now!

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 01:56 PM

Kenny, I'd walk back there just to make sure your new neighbor is being honest, may even meet him/her.

I missed the morning hunt, have to work tonight and my sleep schedule got all screwed up yesterday.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:01 PM

Texted a neighbor who knows him. Guy is in the army I believe. Hope he got a good one and did so on his property. Just hope it's not the one I'm after. Not bad to be a little greedy, right? I mean I've put 20 years into this and he's owned that place 6 months or less!

Do need to go meet him regardless.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:16 PM

Lots of does moving. Nothing coming to corn.

Redsnakes app says they should be busy for next two hours. Guess we'll test it.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:20 PM

I have the same app! It's shows to pick up at about 8:40. We will see. Only a small 4 point so far. Good luck Kennylee.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:24 PM

Good luck to you as well. I'm gonna sit tight for now but really wanting to get up and move. Every good buck but one that I've shot here has been stalking. If the breeze picks up that's what I'll do. Cold enough last night to make mr no shoulders move slow.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:27 PM

That's what I'm talking about! Maybe one will come out. I have my grandad with me and really hopes he shoots something. He turned 78 last Wednesday. Be a good bday present for him.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 02:41 PM

Wasn't new neighbor that shot. Was neighbor on other side. Tagged a yote.
Posted By: haslethunter

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 03:01 PM

There is a lot more movement than yesterday. I have seen 8 doe, a 11/2 yr old 8 point, and a spike. They have no interest in corn though. The young ones are chasing but the girls are not paying much attention.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 03:06 PM

Originally Posted By: KennyLee
Texted a neighbor who knows him. Guy is in the army I believe. Hope he got a good one and did so on his property. Just hope it's not the one I'm after. Not bad to be a little greedy, right? I mean I've put 20 years into this and he's owned that place 6 months or less!

Do need to go meet him regardless.

Yep, may end up being the perfect fella to help watch your place too.
Posted By: haslethunter

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 03:07 PM

Good luck to everyone out there.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 03:25 PM

Saw a really big buck at 800-1000 yards, walking right under an old stand I don't use anymore. Stood up to try and see him better and got busted by a yearling 6 who'd come out behind me. Spike just crossed between the bit guy and I.

Couldn't tell much about the big one from here. Mature to post mature body and at least 18 inches wide. Hope he shows again and a bit closer.

Had just zipped my backpack and was gonna go stalk when I looked up and saw him. Think I'll sit tight.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 03:51 PM

Patience, grasshopper. Keep those eyes peeled!

Good luck.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 03:53 PM

Originally Posted By: RedSnake
Patience, grasshopper. Keep those eyes peeled!

Good luck.

Beat me to it LOL.

Big buck could have been the 6 , never know.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 04:11 PM

Alright, I'm waiting it out thanks to some app I downloaded. If I get blanked during prime time I may ask for a refund, though I'd come out ahead requesting lunch!

Actually did get down for a minute but realized grass is too high and wind is wrong to stalk very well.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 09:25 PM

Back in the stand. Rarely hunt Sunday evenings and really missing my kids but buck fever has taken over.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: KennyLee
Alright, I'm waiting it out thanks to some app I downloaded.

rofl Hope you don't get blanked too. I'd hate for you to make good on offer of having breakfast at Kuby's and then sticking me with the tab!

Re: Live from Wise - 11/08/15 10:52 PM

First movement of the evening is a bunch of hogs. They're on my property but would have to shoot over a neighbor to hit em. Too much pork around here.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/09/15 12:52 AM

I only saw a doe with to youngsters and a 2.5 year old 8, they all look extremely healthy though.

BTW, it was fricken noisy this evening, had 3 neighbors that must have figured today was the day of 365 that crap needed nailed, the other yahoos on the ridge must have came into a semi load of ammo bang

Re: Live from Wise - 11/09/15 02:45 AM

Had a lot of noise around me today as well. Didn't hurt the hunting though. Had hogs in view for the final two hours of the hunt, killing 2 right at dark.

Saw the biggest buck I've seen from that stand, ever. Unfortunately only got to look at him through binoculars but a definite shooter. Have never seen him before which makes me think rut is starting to kick in. He looked like he was interested and was definitely mature.

Saw a nice 8 that was probably 3 years old. Walked right through a ton of hogs which surprised me. Saw several does.

Need to mention, not a single deer came to the feeder. Some got close, but didn't hit the corn. Granted, it was down for several days before Saturday, but it's been there running for years otherwise. Don't think they care for corn right now.

Back at it sometime this week. I think the rut will kick in very soon.

Re: Live from Wise - 11/15/15 01:12 PM

Back at it this morning. More wind than I expected. Got in the stand at 5:30 and almost immediately heard a big fight. Sounded like big boys and they were less than 75 yards from me in the trees, but couldn't see a thing. Only a little no brow tine 5 point so far since light but he was at a good trot and nose to the ground. Went right by my truck and didn't even glance at it.

Should be a good day.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum