Texas Hunting Forum

Old fella on the decline

Posted By: ZK-315

Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 09:53 PM

I never really paid attention to this buck last year, but only had 1 pic of him. I knew he was fairly mature by looking at his brisket, but never paid him much attention. Only had 1 pic and never saw him on the hoof. This year I made some changes to my set up and he's the most mature so far I've seen on camera, but not quite sure if he'll even make ARs this year.

I'm pretty sure this may be the same deer as the traits of his antlers aren't seen much at all anywhere on the place. I did shoot another buck with similar antlers 4 years ago, but that's it.

Last years pic:

This years:

Posted By: JTS

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 10:08 PM

I think he will make ar's.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 10:31 PM

It will be close on the ar.

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 10:33 PM

Let's hope so. I'll hopefully get to scope him out pretty well and be able to tell in person.

I found a pic of the other buck I shot 4 years ago. He's got the same characteristics in his rack just kind of going straight up, and not forward much. I'm thinking this may be his daddy and was a cull also.

Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 10:58 PM

I don't think he is even close to making AR's from those pics.
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 11:12 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman

I agree. Point those ears up and out and that rack doesn't clear them.

edited to add: Regarding the pic of the live deer from the rear with his ears pinned back.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 11:16 PM

I don't think that buck will be legal.
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 11:21 PM

I don't think buck 1 is the same as buck 2.

EDIT: I say that thinking that range conditions were better this Spring than last, and I don't see buck 2 being older than 6 when decline really becomes prevalent. Opinions stink, so take it for what its worth. Not trying to steal anyone's thunder.
Posted By: rickym

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 11:23 PM

I think he could be close. One of those you would have to see in person and make your best judgment
Posted By: PMK

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/03/15 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
agree!!!

What was the spread on the one you took 4 years ago?

Didn't the place go MLD this year? If so, what are the recommendations & restrictions?

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/04/15 01:42 AM

Huntnfly , you're not stealing my thunder. I think he's just an old cull that slipped through the cracks somehow. To me, from those pics this year, if he does make ARs he barely did, but I'm not counting on it.

Originally Posted By: PMK

What was the spread on the one you took 4 years ago?

Didn't the place go MLD this year? If so, what are the recommendations & restrictions?

I can't remember spread on that other one. I want to say 16" maybe? He's in your garage, go measure him for me roflmao

I need to get the final outcome on the mld situation. I know they were trying to go mld 3 but don't know if that ever happened or not. I'll talk to the FIL about it.
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/04/15 01:26 PM

Buck 1 and Buck 2 are different Deer. Buck 2 will not make ar it appears but if he does he would need taken out of herd.
Posted By: PMK

Re: Old fella on the decline - 11/04/15 02:03 PM

yep, I will try to remember to check the garage!

uh, yeah, you need to find out about the MLD status!!! If it's in place, there are logs and tags to be used (not sure what level that comes into play???) and NOT use your own tags ... I believe there are stiff penalties depending on that status ... only 4 days until season starts, need to have that nailed down before crawling into your wasp infested stand!
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum