Texas Hunting Forum

Spooking deer who won't leave

Posted By: Jacob645

Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 02:51 AM

How long do you wait out deer in the evenings if they won't leave? Any tips on getting them out without having to spook them too bad?
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 02:55 AM

I wait until dark. They seem to be less nervous once it gets dark.
Posted By: Lil Joe

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 02:59 AM

I will make a snort wheeze with my mouth and they will just about always run off without blowing and causing a big ruckus.
Posted By: Jacob645

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
I wait until dark. They seem to be less nervous once it gets dark.

Ya, I'm waiting til I can't even see them anymore. They're about 100 yards away but still blow and it's pitch black.
Posted By: Slimpickin

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 03:15 AM

Sat motionless with numb butt cheeks for 45 minutes while 6 does grazed 40 yards from the ground blind. At dark, started barking like a dog, but they stayed put like no big deal. Finally got tired of waiting, and walked out. They looked at me and watched as I walked away. Never did spook.?.
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 03:22 AM

I have this problem every time on my bow stands. I'll bark/howl if I need them to cler out. In country where there are hogs, snort (sound like a hog), this has seemed to work best. I know it sounds kind of silly, but it works. If you have deer at a feeder, it's all over when the hogs get there so the deer don't usually hang around. They will linger around with a coyote bark.
Posted By: Espy

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 03:27 AM

had a small doe this evening refuse to leave. tried all kinds of sounds I needed to change the time on the feeder. finally just went to the feeder doe went 20-30 yards away and never left. confused2
Posted By: texassippi

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 04:17 AM

I had some does that were about 25 yards from me and wouldn't leave on Saturday. I started getting down from the tripod and they just stared at me. I got down, set my gun down, and took off running after them. They left in a hurry obviously. Next morning same 3 does were right back in the same spot confused2
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 04:22 AM

I had a spike at 20 yards watch me climb up and down the ladder 4 times Sunday filing a feeder. At one point he looked at his watch to tell me it was his lunch time...
Posted By: MarkE

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Stratgolfer
I had a spike at 20 yards watch me climb up and down the ladder 4 times Sunday filing a feeder. At one point he looked at his watch to tell me it was his lunch time...

You think he remembered to set his watch back one hour?? grin
Posted By: Texas Dan

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 01:11 PM

I don't give it much attention when leaving, even if there's a small buck in the group. What about all the deer that see or smell you when going to or leaving your stand that you never see or hear? There will always be deer that will know you've been there no matter how hard you try to avoid detection.
Posted By: TruTexican

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Joel c
I will make a snort wheeze with my mouth and they will just about always run off without blowing and causing a big ruckus.

I pretty much do the same thing. I don't use a snort wheeze, but a strong snort followed by a quick series of shorter snorts that fade, like a deer running away. Learned this a long time ago from an ol timer. Works like a champ.
Posted By: TravisP

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 02:47 PM

I got out a little after dark and they blew at me and zig zagged everywhere in the back yard where I hunt. I would have waited longer but the mosquitos didn't agree with me. As I left about a half hour later from my neighbors house my car lights hit the feeder and they were already out there checking it out again. Time to climb a tree and catch them by suprise so I hope. Haha. My luck!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 02:48 PM

I tell them a scary story
Posted By: blindcowboy

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 08:00 PM

My wife was sitting in a blind last year and had a young 6 point that wouldn't leave. She snorted, banged around the blind, and finally turned on music on her phone. He looked up at the music but never left until she climbed down. If he didn't get smarter someone's going to be eating him this year.
Posted By: Schpanky

Re: Spooking deer who won't leave - 11/03/15 10:35 PM

don't know if this will work for you, but if one of us is stuck in a blind, one of the other guys will drive to the blind after dark to pick up. I'd rather have deer run off by an approaching vehicle than me getting out of a blind....we've had deer watch us get out of the blind and into the truck without running off. If that's not an option...wait til after dark...they are much more relaxed
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum