Texas Hunting Forum

Any youth success this morning?

Posted By: steven h

Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 04:02 PM

On our way to the lease in a few minutes. Hope it dries out enough to get out in the field. Good look to all.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 04:16 PM

We were close to being able to take a doe, but the fog and cloud cover kept things dark enough for no shot several minutes into legal shooting time. We had them in the food plot less than 100 yards away and couldn't see them (was using a thermal handheld to see them) enough to get a shot.

Then we watched them in the trees for about another 30 minutes milling around until some cows pushed them out. No shot opportunity.

My son said "it was just some doe, but they were the big 10's we've been watching I would have been very upset"

Hoping for more opportunities tonight and tomorrow.

Seems awfully quiet though as far as reports.... popcorn
Posted By: noland

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 05:53 PM

Not a lot of activity this morning. Sprinkled until about 10 did see a few doe but no bucks
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 08:29 PM

You younguns' need to get after it. We want pics.

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 08:57 PM

Hoping we can seal the deal this evening up
Posted By: JH117

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 09:47 PM

We were out also this morning with no sightings here in parker county. Gonna try tomorrow morning and afternoon. Seems like all the activity I've seen lately in legal shooting light is in the evening right before it gets dark.
Posted By: piney woods hunter

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 09:49 PM

Get them buckeye. It flooded this morning in east texas, took my nephew out bout 11.00 saw spike Round 12.30 o shot. He's back in stand am few hundred yards from him watching hog waller. Wish us luck
Posted By: TAT

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 09:52 PM

Me and my little man are in Callahan county. Nada this morning. Huge storms last night. Maybe this evening will be the ticket. Time will tell. He's put the work in sure hope we can get him one on the ground! Good luck to all. Keep this thread going on updates.
Posted By: TravisP

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 10:10 PM

I'm hoping for this evening myself, came out and dropped some feed. Something was moving around after the rain.

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 10:18 PM

Day is only getting shorter, starting to get to that good time of day.
Posted By: TravisP

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 10/31/15 10:59 PM

Originally Posted By: TAT
Day is only getting shorter, starting to get to that good time of day.

Amen brother

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:21 AM

Well this evening was almost a bust. We had one young buck come in, technically legal as he was spike on right with small basket 4 on the other side. He was too young to shoot though as he is probably a yearling or 1.5 yo, smaller than a lot of the dos we saw this am. Give him some more years and he may be decent.

After hearing about others reports, I am thinking just seeing deer on both outings so far is a blessing. We'll get after it tomorrow am. Should be near perfect conditions, mid 40's, light nnw wind....

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 03:07 AM

That's what I'm hoping for, a good morning. This am and pm were a bust. No deer at all, but always a good time when your in the stand. Especially with my son. It was funny cause we were talking and I said to him," hopefully something comes out buddy and you can make a good shot on em." He said I hope so but that's why they call it hunting and not killing. I had to laugh. He is eleven. I guess he has been paying attention to me. Those memories are better than any harvest! Him getting a nice one would be awesome too!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 11:22 AM

It's time to see some young folks' deer pictures!
Posted By: eneat1119

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 11:49 AM

My oldest shot this big bodied SOB Friday evening with the crossbow. His first ever attempt at handling buck fever didn't go so well. Made a very poor shot at 30yds and we had to let him lay overnight. Very fortunately we found him about 300yds away.

Him and his brother were both very happy with the result! laugh

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 12:00 PM

That's what I'm talkin' about. Congrats Dad.
Posted By: Outfishdya

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 12:30 PM

Congrats
I can hardly wait for my 5 year old to get out with me. Hope he can get out for a sit this year.

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 12:52 PM

Awesome deer your son took!!!! Me and my lil man are at it again. It's been unusually slow here in Putnam. Callahan county. We haven't seen anything. Still some time this morning though. Good look to all.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:05 PM

Congratulation to your son. Heavy looking deer. up
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:07 PM

Congrats to your son eneat!

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:08 PM

So far this am the coyotes have howled three times and the fog is so thick you could cut it with a knife. No deer yet, but it's a cooler morning so I will sit with my son a little while. I keep hoping to look up and see a buck standing in the food plot chowing down, but honestly with the grass height all around and the fog being so thick I think a herd could move through and we wouldn't see them at all. Visibility is just at 100 yards with bunks a little further but that's it.

Tough hunting weekend!

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:10 PM

Congrats eneat1119 and to your son too!!! Big heavy bodied buck is right. Glad you guys were ablle to find him!!
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:11 PM

In the blind as I type this...

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:23 PM

Fog and mist is when you see the shooters. Stay alert!
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 01:28 PM

We are.
Posted By: ryorgensen

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 02:37 PM

Pouring rain yesterday morning so me and my 10 yr old son waited til 10 and hunted til noon. Saw a 5 pt and then a 4 pt came out around 1030. Went before daylight this morning and stayed til min ago with no deer seen. Going to eat a little breakfast and go back out in few minutes to another stand and sit a little while . They have been moving better late in mornings. Will report back.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 02:50 PM

Good luck to everyone!!!
Posted By: notamtchance

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 09:54 PM

My son got his first deer/buck. On Saturday morning. Got to say one very nice first for everything. We were the only ones to see anything that morning it off 4 youth hunters.
]Jacob's first deer/buck.[/url]
Posted By: 7x57

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 10:21 PM

Good looking deer guys!

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: notamtchance
My son got his first deer/buck. On Saturday morning. Got to say one very nice first for everything. We were the only ones to see anything that morning it off 4 youth hunters.

That is one heckuva first buck. Congratulations to Jacob and Dad.

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 10:49 PM

Thank you. I am so proud of him. He made a great shot to and dropped it were it stood. Great first deer too.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/01/15 11:25 PM

Great bucks fellows. up
Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 01:23 AM

Nice looking kills, congrats!
Posted By: safdm44

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 01:40 AM

Our hunt was cut short.. my youngest boy got sick and vomited out of the blind window. Poor guy wasn't in the blind for 2hrs, but it will add to our hunting memories!
Posted By: Ronnie Oneal

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 04:30 AM

Shot him sunday evening...his 3rd one...sure proud of him

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 04:52 AM

Very nice.
Posted By: lk05077

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 06:21 PM

Had a good hunt Saturday night with my 13 year old daughter. Learned a few things 1 dad can't judge distance worth a darn time for a range finder. Had a doe walk in she tries to get an angle to shoot was a tough angle out the side window of the blind and she walked away before we could shoot. Not 2 minutes later another one walks out this time we are set I estimated about a 150 yard shoot told her aim a little high she sends lead deer rolls I figure dead dear next thing I know she stands up takes a few steps drops again. OK she is dead nope gets up walks off ok let her go we will track later. Well 5 minutes later the first one returns she sends lead 2 times down at her and she never even finches after 2 nd shoot is a miss we just wait. 3 more dear walk in from the other side of the blind and the last is a buck so she wants him bad. We were hunting an ar county so we know we better get size right we let the does walk trying to get the antlers sizebud by the end of it we let them all walk was to close to call on the antlers l. Learned after my guess of about 150 yards off by 100 w as about 250 yards never found a drop of blood or her dear. Leas on learned get a darn range finder.
Posted By: Las Colinas Hunter

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 09:49 PM

Congrats! Awesome looking first buck.
Posted By: hogreaper

Re: Any youth success this morning? - 11/02/15 11:13 PM

Good lucking deer guys
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum