Texas Hunting Forum

Hall County Questions

Posted By: FoxTrot

Hall County Questions - 10/26/15 10:40 PM

Got a chance to hunt Hall with a buddy during MD season. Never been up that way. Says we are gonna be between Turkey and Childress.

What should I expect? How is the terrain and how should I set up?

Thanks in advance for your help
Posted By: Branden

Re: Hall County Questions - 10/27/15 04:54 AM

Really good area I used to hunt between turkey and Childress in Hall south of 287 about 6 miles, lots of rolling hills with canyons. Deer would mostly travel on the high points of the terrain and with does they would get in the nasty deep bottoms with really think brush. Killed a 161 and 158 whitetail out of that area. Didn't have much Mule deer but they were there, just depends on your area. Good luck and be patient cause the big ones are in the area. Most the great big bucks I seen were in the wide open rolling plains and would travel on to the thicker places looking for does.
Posted By: Txduckman

Re: Hall County Questions - 10/27/15 05:02 AM

Are you hunting wheat? If so, just park and glass. They will hit it everyday. Then sneak in and sit.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Hall County Questions - 10/27/15 10:16 AM

The terrain will vary from rolling farm fields/CRP to deep draws and bowls. The mule deer will be in the wheat fields and edges of the draws and bowls. The MD bucks like to sit on the edges of the draws and bowls under cedars with the wind at their back.
Posted By: Jkd106

Re: Hall County Questions - 10/27/15 10:12 PM

Thats the area I hunt, depends where you are the terrain changes quickly in places. Great time to be there, WT rut in full swing, and hunting mulies, I try and spend 8 or 9 days there in MD season. Wheat is great, but if not just glass the hills which in my opinion is more fun. Good luck
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum