Texas Hunting Forum

mule deer size around Sheffield Tx

Posted By: bassplay

mule deer size around Sheffield Tx - 10/24/15 12:13 PM

I'm thinking about going on a mule deer hunt west of Sheffield I think they are desert mule deer do they have any good size deer out there Thanks
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: mule deer size around Sheffield Tx - 10/24/15 12:31 PM

Yes they do if the get rain and age on them. The bodies are about 20-30 ponds lighter than panhandle species but antlers are really the same in size.
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: mule deer size around Sheffield Tx - 10/24/15 12:47 PM

I'll be hunting them south of there this season. I do think they get bigger out where the whitetails aren't, Ft. Stockton and west, but, just like whitetails in the hill country, there's a few old boys that'll surprise you just about anywhere.
Posted By: bassplay

Re: mule deer size around Sheffield Tx - 10/25/15 02:12 AM

Thanks wife and i are going to do a 4 day hunt on 10000 acres ranch mule deer & whitetail
Posted By: 7mag

Re: mule deer size around Sheffield Tx - 10/25/15 02:21 AM

Decent but usually not over 150 class. I would say the norm is 120-140 on mule deer.Further towards the Davis Mountains the antlers seem to grow better. Best of luck and post pics.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: mule deer size around Sheffield Tx - 10/25/15 06:46 PM

I hunted on a couple of places north of Sanderson and south of Ft. Stockton in the in the 80's and 90's for one season each. The mule deer back then were not much but there were some pretty good bucks killed in the 90's when I did not hunt there on one of the places north of Sanderson. That ranch produced 150-170 type bucks in great years rainfall wise. On years like this and with the management people are doing these days you could be in for a real good hunt. I know there was a low 190's MD buck killed in northern Val Verde in the past few season. That is rare but shows what can happen when it rains out west and it rained a lot out there this year.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum