Texas Hunting Forum

Need Advice for South Texas

Posted By: Dadeo

Need Advice for South Texas - 10/23/15 06:21 PM

I have an invite to hunt in Live Oak county.

What is the best dates to go to catch the rut in that area ?

Thanks
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/23/15 07:15 PM

Which area of the county? It varies a bit depending where you hunt.
Posted By: Ricochet83

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/23/15 07:29 PM

Seems in Live oak it is typically late. Last year for us in the southwest part of Live Oak county it was about a week after christmas.
Posted By: Jimbo

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/23/15 08:44 PM

Seems like last years rut was late and as proof I've noticed smaller fawns with full spots during the bow season. I've seen fawns with spots before during October but not nearly the amount I've seen this year.
I wondered why I wasn't seeing as many mature bucks last season and very slow rut activity over previous years.

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/23/15 09:46 PM

Plus to from what i saw it stayed green till mid january or so in live oak county so it seemed light for us but i think that was just because they didnt need to come out into the open so much to chase they had ample cover and food in the trees so to speak.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/25/15 07:19 PM

Northern Central and eastern Live Oak the rut has always been around the Dec 10th to 15th. Western and SW it will be a bit later. Eastern and SE it will be more around the late November till the first week of Dec. South Eastern Karnes/Bee county line area can be early November. So it will really depend on where you are hunting.
Posted By: Dadeo

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/26/15 03:04 PM

Thanks all for the advice.

The ranch is close to Dinero.

About 15 miles our of George West.

Been like four years since hunted.

Thanks again

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/26/15 03:19 PM

Just checked my map and i am about 15 miles west- southwest from you to my gate.
Posted By: Grosvenor

Re: Need Advice for South Texas - 10/26/15 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Dadeo
Thanks all for the advice.

The ranch is close to Dinero.

About 15 miles our of George West.

Been like four years since hunted.

Thanks again

Our ranch is close to Dinero also. The rut kicks off around the 3rd week in December, maybe a little later. That said, I prefer hunting very late December, early January.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum