Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone use mineral blocks?

Posted By: texasspazzman

Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 06:07 PM

Been thinking about adding a mineral block of some kid around my hunting area. Any suggestions?
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 06:21 PM

Trophy Rock during antler growing season, can't say how much they help but the deer love them and there loaded with minerals so they have to do some good!
Posted By: Gunslinger

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 06:42 PM

If you have hogs, they'll tear those blocks up in no time. Make sure you keep them in a pen or suspended from a tree.
Posted By: Buzzsaw

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 07:52 PM

I use the BIGB&J blocks, they are more attractants that protein, deer/Axis love them. We are lucky, no hogs....yet.

I'm an "all day sucker" when it comes to buying stuff , I bought some crap like sweet motor oil and poured it on the ground Saturday. I'll see if they like it opening day (rifle). They are "supposed" to dig in the ground and eat it. We'll see

I DO know they don't like sugar beet crush blocks. Put one out last year, never was touched.

Shoot a BIGUN everyone!!
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 08:29 PM

Mineral blocks are always good to have around in my opinion. I like them simply because it's one more way to stop a deer with their head down.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 08:48 PM

I put them out if I have a feeder pen up.. other than that the pigs play soccer with them
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 08:49 PM

I like using a liquid base that you clear an area and soak it into the ground...
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/20/15 09:40 PM

If I were even going to try a block, I would bury it. Try a 12:12 livestock mineral block.
Posted By: DCmac

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/21/15 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Gunslinger
If you have hogs, they'll tear those blocks up in no time. Make sure you keep them in a pen or suspended from a tree.

My ignorance needs a cure. I'm familiar with salt bricks from decades of having horses, held by a wire holder in each stall. How do you suspend one? And how can deer gnaw on it when there's nothing to hold it?

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/21/15 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: DCmac

My ignorance needs a cure. I'm familiar with salt bricks from decades of having horses, held by a wire holder in each stall. How do you suspend one? And how can deer gnaw on it when there's nothing to hold it?

A deer won't move it with one lick like a horse will or a hog. They don't need as much resistance. They will bite at it once they are into it. Drill a hole in it to hang it.

Most horse people are ignorant its okay. partyon555
Posted By: KnoxCityNate

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/22/15 03:57 AM

I just put out a "Record Rack Deer Block" and they seem to be all over it

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/22/15 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
Originally Posted By: DCmac

A deer won't move it with one lick like a horse will or a hog. They don't need as much resistance. They will bite at it once they are into it. Drill a hole in it to hang it.

Most horse people are ignorant its okay. partyon555

The thread is about mineral blocks not protein blocks. They are rock hard and licked on by any animal. Hogs will roll them around like a bowling ball sometimes, but not nearly as bad as they will with a protein block.

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/22/15 04:04 PM

I thought we were talking about building blocks?

Sorry Im a little A D D. and ignorant too.

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/22/15 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By: MoBettaHuntR
I thought we were talking about building blocks?

Sorry Im a little A D D. and ignorant too.

You must own horses then, no? grin

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/22/15 04:09 PM

Yes, otherwise I wouldn't poke.

Although they are pasture only work animals. Not corral pets.

Re: Anyone use mineral blocks? - 10/22/15 04:13 PM

We all have those moments it seems. cheers The older I get the more I have though. bang
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum