Texas Hunting Forum

Age and Score?

Posted By: cobryan

Age and Score? - 10/19/15 02:13 PM

More worried about the age because I know it will be hard to score with these being the only pics that I have. Any help would be appreciated.

Posted By: jmh004

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 02:14 PM

He looks pretty young. No older than 3 I would say, probably more like two.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 02:16 PM

tough pics to judge off of

id say 4yr old and low 140s
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 02:26 PM

I would call him mature based off his diet of rocks he had to live on grin He will probably score in the low to mabybe as high as mid 140's also. I get 141-142 with great tine length and beam length pushing his score up there.
Posted By: QuitShootinYoungBucks

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 02:26 PM

3.5 IMO. Maybe 125-135 on score
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 02:30 PM

4.5 and 130's
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 03:02 PM

welcome

Terrell or Val Verde County?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 03:08 PM

Tough to tell with those pics but I would say 3.5 130

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 03:16 PM

Val Verde

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 03:21 PM

3.5 or so if he hasn't been raised eating free choice protein. Younger if he has had unlimited protein

Re: Age and Score? - 10/19/15 03:23 PM

Here's one from Val Verde that we believe is 4.5 that's been raised on free choice protein.

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 12:28 PM

STXRANCHMAN, Why would you call him mature?

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 12:36 PM

Originally Posted By: cobryan
STXRANCHMAN, Why would you call him mature?

Something about the deer made me call him mature when I first saw the picture. He looks like a thin but long and lanky older buck to me. I would not go any younger than 4 on him. More pictures would help in this case for sure. Also, not every buck fits the perfect visual "mold" of an "x" yr old buck.
Posted By: DQ Kid

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: LSTR
4.5 and 130's

^^^^
He's mature but rundown some...

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 01:15 PM

STXRANCHMAN. You are absolutely correct. I shot this deer with my bow a couple years ago. He made pope and young with a gross of 141 and a net of 136 and some change. I had watched him for a couple of years but we never could decide on his age due to his body structure. We knew that he had to be at least 4 due to the years we had him watched him. In all the times that we saw him while sitting he never acted like a mature buck and would move off when a mature deer showed up. I just put this up here to show the exact point that you made about every buck not fitting the typical mold of aging a deer with just the body structure. You have to take into consideration everything not just the body. He ended up being 6yrs old. Still my most prized possession. He had the same body look every year, and I think that is what confused us the most. Official scorer said that this was the first time that he ever had to write a negative number on the tip to tip measurement.

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 01:15 PM

And yes we fed protein.

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 01:24 PM

Originally Posted By: cobryan
STXRANCHMAN. You are absolutely correct. I shot this deer with my bow a couple years ago. He made pope and young with a gross of 141 and a net of 136 and some change. I had watched him for a couple of years but we never could decide on his age due to his body structure. We knew that he had to be at least 4 due to the years we had him watched him. In all the times that we saw him while sitting he never acted like a mature buck and would move off when a mature deer showed up. I just put this up here to show the exact point that you made about every buck not fitting the typical mold of aging a deer with just the body structure. You have to take into consideration everything not just the body. He ended up being 6yrs old. Still my most prized possession. He had the same body look every year, and I think that is what confused us the most. Official scorer said that this was the first time that he ever had to write a negative number on the tip to tip measurement.

The signs of age where in the pics. Most look at rack first then body size next. In the first pic, with the width in his shoulders, the size and shape of his head was what made me say mature. The second pic he is starting to sit down on his hooves, has quite a bit of white hair on his legs(some areas this works for older bucks), his hocks are staining down his legs, he has that hump above his shoulders, muscling in shoulders/neck are things I noticed quickly. I was at a ranch in northern Val Verde when a hunter killed a buck similar to this one. He was 7 yrs old with 9" inside spread and grossed mid 130's on a 6x6 typical frame.
Posted By: Deerhunter61

Re: Age and Score? - 10/20/15 01:28 PM

Great education! Thanks guys
Posted By: hunterbuck

Re: Age and Score? - 10/23/15 04:34 PM

stxranchman, I was thinking 3.5 but great call there. This is a good post for folks to learn some stuff!
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Age and Score? - 10/23/15 06:36 PM

Doesn't look very old. I'd say 3.5
But he will score way better than you think. Tine length makes up about 40% of total BC score, while spread is only about 10%. I think he will push 140", and at 5.5 he will be a very unique STUD!
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Age and Score? - 10/23/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: texasspazzman
Doesn't look very old. I'd say 3.5
But he will score way better than you think. Tine length makes up about 40% of total BC score, while spread is only about 10%. I think he will push 140", and at 5.5 he will be a very unique STUD!

Well, there you go...I learn something new every day. More I look at him the more I can see the age signs y'all are talking about. 6yrs really surprized me. Score didn't though. wink
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum