Texas Hunting Forum

Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles?

Posted By: Tru2lifetaxidermy

Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/19/15 11:21 AM

Has anyone done this? If so how is it done? Heard it can be dangerous......?
Posted By: JCB

Re: Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/19/15 11:27 AM

You can buy an adaptor that will allow you to refill them from your larger propane tanks. I bought one from Gander Mountain (one of the only things I have ever bought there) roflmao

I haven't used it yet but the instructions are inside on how to use it. Think the adapter is about $10-$12.
Posted By: jimbob

Re: Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/19/15 12:32 PM

I have done it, Works ok but a little tough to get em full without making an adaptor to pull the relief valve on the 1lb tank. Seems to have a little trash in the can and stops up my MR buddy from time to time though. Blew it out wtih compressed air and works fine. Happened 3 times now. I see a pattern.
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/19/15 05:17 PM

It can be done. I built an adapter with a valve to do it. Refilled one and it worked okay. It's just so much easier to buy them for a few bucks. If you go through a lot of them it might be beneficial. You can google it and find out how to do it or buy the Mr. Buddy attachment for it.

Keith
Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/19/15 08:44 PM

adapter works; easy to get nearly full - put 1# bottle in freezer for 15 min before filling ; fill with 30# upside down.

Now HERE is the important part - test 1# valve with soapy water (after filling), and NEVER store refilled containers in garage, house, or camper/cabin.
They WILL start to leak after a couple refills, etc.

Posted By: FoxTrot

Re: Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/19/15 09:07 PM

Did it last year in Kansas and it seemed to work just fine.
Posted By: djs303

Re: Anyone refill 1 lb propane bottles? - 10/20/15 04:21 AM

Bottles will get fuller if you put the one pound ones in the freezer. When you open the valve on the big bottle do it slow so the safety ball does not turn the flow off. If you turn it wide open immediately it will stop the flow. Also helps to turn the big canister upside down.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum