Texas Hunting Forum

Thanks cows...

Posted By: krmitchell

Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:04 AM

As of 7:00 pm last night this was up throwing corn. Not only did they bend the T-post, bust the top off, and knock over the feeder I filled last weekend, but they also punched a hole in it and one of them felt the need to drag a game camera into the woods, at least they didn't completely destroy the motor......thanks cows.

Posted By: jmh004

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:13 AM

Yes sir that stinks, but cows come first.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:15 AM

Hate to say it, but is not going to get any better. Now it will take a feed pen to stop them or a hanging feeder. They will camp under it though.

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:18 AM

Originally Posted By: jmh004
Yes sir that stinks, but cows come first.

No doubt, just sucks. They didn't even eat all the corn lol.

There are pens around every feeder but this one, really rocky on top of the hill according to my fellow lease member, that is why it doesn't have a pen.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:48 AM

Same scene at my place except that it's the neighbors cows. Completely emptied two feeders. Says they don't think they can get them out anytime soon.

Gonna be a fun season.
Posted By: doogie

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 02:07 AM

I know your pain.
after this happened to me in south Texas,
I always put a barbed wire fence around my feeders.
saves many headaches.
Posted By: 4Weight

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 03:21 AM

I'm with Stx, if you want to feed and you have cows on your place, build a pen.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 04:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 4Weight

...and if you can't build a pen where the feeder is....move the feeder to someplace you can pen it....otherwise you might as well just take it down and safe yourself the damage.....
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 04:21 AM

How can you be sure that it was the cows? bolt

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By: SnakeWrangler
Originally Posted By: 4Weight

...and if you can't build a pen where the feeder is....move the feeder to someplace you can pen it....otherwise you might as well just take it down and safe yourself the damage.....

This is a secondary feeder for that blind. The other feeder has a hog panels around it. I don't think it will be replaced after this. However, this isn't my call as I don't own the feeder, I was checking on it and the camera for a fellow lease member.

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

A hog isn't tall enough to bend that T-post, the way it was, but other than that the camera before it was knocked down told the story.

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 04:35 AM

Originally Posted By: rexmitchell

A hog isn't tall enough to bend that T-post, the way it was, but other than that the camera before it was knocked down told the story.

The evidence was all over the ground. I had them bastages eat 2000lbs of protein in 2 days once after they broke through my barbed wire fence. I only use electric fences now, they don't like those too much.

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 04:54 AM

J

The evidence was all over the ground. I had them bastages eat 2000lbs of protein in 2 days once after they broke through my barbed wire fence. I only use electric fences now, they don't like those too much.

Luckily our hog arent that aggressive yet.
Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 05:14 AM

Could be worse, could of happened during the season. The goats did that to me last year. Not only that but they drove off all the deer. Ruined the whole season. Hope you get it straighten out.
Posted By: maximus_flavius

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 12:01 PM

Originally Posted By: KennyLee
Same scene at my place except that it's the neighbors cows. Completely emptied two feeders. Says they don't think they can get them out anytime soon.

Gonna be a fun season.

Get them out yourself. You don't have to let neighbors cattle have free run of your property.
Posted By: don k

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 12:14 PM

As bad as the range conditions look there it is going to be tough keeping them away even with a pen.
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:02 PM

Umm all the cow crap in the pic my be a clue confused2
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 01:34 PM

Old timer- Texas wildlife supply

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 02:24 PM

Originally Posted By: RangerRick

Umm all the cow crap in the pic my be a clue confused2

Yeah, I think it went over his head. Guess I should have thrown out a sarcasm disclaimer.
Posted By: KennyLee

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 02:27 PM

Originally Posted By: maximus_flavius
Originally Posted By: KennyLee

Gonna be a fun season.

Get them out yourself. You don't have to let neighbors cattle have free run of your property.

Fence is bad and I don't have time to fix it. Neighbor is in bad health and can't care for the cows.

May take a couple days off work to handle before gun season starts but not really how I want to burn vacation days I planned to use to hunt.
Posted By: Texmel

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 02:39 PM

Cattle panel fence will do the trick w/2" metal conduit legs anchored with rebar. And, don't put salt block in pen for deer. The cows went thru panel & bobwire to get at salt block at one of my feeders.
Posted By: texag95

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/18/15 07:47 PM

Its the lack of rain for the time of year
Posted By: BigBucky2014

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 05:20 PM

Been there, done that!! It sucks!!
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 05:24 PM

If you want a quick fix put a hay ring around it and it will solve the cattle problem at least

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot
If you want a quick fix put a hay ring around it and it will solve the cattle problem at least

That is a pretty good idea, won't stop them from eating it but at least they won't knock it back over.
Posted By: Navasot

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 06:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Navasot

That is a pretty good idea, won't stop them from eating it but at least they won't knock it back over.

up
Posted By: Wilhunt

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 06:58 PM

Build a pen, dang cows.
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 07:03 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Hate to say it, but is not going to get any better. Now it will take a feed pen to stop them or a hanging feeder. They will camp under it though.

Yepper...Simple Solution up

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 07:30 PM

Talked to my fellow lease member, plan is to try and build a pen if possible the weekend before opening day. Thanks for the advice guys.
Posted By: LovinLakeLife

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 08:25 PM

Cows did the same thing to me
I won't be setting a feeder back up on that spot until I can build a pen

Posted By: oldoak2000

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 08:33 PM

They'll be back - they love a good pinata party!
Posted By: Slow Drifter

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/19/15 08:38 PM

dang squirrels....
Posted By: RangerRick

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/28/15 10:01 PM

Cows,ha ha. I recall a time many many years ago I was hunting off the Paluxy river in Glen Rose TX I laid out the most beautiful and longest trail of apples you ever seen thinking eh what the heck it works for Yankee deer. My Stand overlooked the bottom and ones side of the river,it was about 12 foot up and over afield of tall river grass and weeds...I could hear munching and shuffling getting closer and closer...I just new it had worked and any minute now the Biggest apple eating buck of all time was going to appear...only it wasn't a buck it was some cows that had followed behind on the trail and ate every single apple and stood there looking at me all but pointing their hooves and asking for more! Meh.... blush
Posted By: Big_Ag

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/28/15 11:44 PM

I have a pack of coons that I bet could have done that.
Posted By: Kenny Powers

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/28/15 11:55 PM

Build a fence
Posted By: Outfishdya

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/29/15 12:20 AM

you dont have to build a pen.
I had this problem and fixed it by putting a cage up that didnt allow them to head butt the motor and get corn to fall. Then I took the t posts for the legs and drove them in about 6 inches high on the legs and angled them outward. This makes them wide enough to be their own fence posts. then use barbed wire around the t posts. it creates a place directly under the feeder where deer have to put there heads through the barbed wire, but they will if the corn broadcasted outside the triangle is gone. it makes a triangular fence the width of your feeder legs. 3 strands like a normal barb wire fence
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/29/15 12:25 AM

I had a huge boar do that to a feeder. The rewarding part is that I shot that sucker and it didn't tick off the neighbors.
Posted By: Frio County Hunts

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/29/15 08:18 PM

Originally Posted By: Big_Ag
I have a pack of coons that I bet could have done that.

Hah! Me too!
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Thanks cows... - 10/29/15 11:55 PM

Originally Posted By: RangerRick
Cows,ha ha. I recall a time many many years ago I was hunting off the Paluxy river in Glen Rose TX I laid out the most beautiful and longest trail of apples you ever seen thinking eh what the heck it works for Yankee deer. My Stand overlooked the bottom and ones side of the river,it was about 12 foot up and over afield of tall river grass and weeds...I could hear munching and shuffling getting closer and closer...I just new it had worked and any minute now the Biggest apple eating buck of all time was going to appear...only it wasn't a buck it was some cows that had followed behind on the trail and ate every single apple and stood there looking at me all but pointing their hooves and asking for more! Meh.... blush
You had me at Paluxy...
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum