Texas Hunting Forum

Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain!

Posted By: Ranch Dog

Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 03:40 AM

Not only did I get drawn for the Chaparral GDE hunt but today I received notice that I was drawn for a Mule Deer Gun Hunt on Elephant Mountain. I know it will be asked, I had 8 mule deer points. My hunt is the 7th through the 10th of December.

Anybody hunt there?
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 03:43 AM

Dude, 2 hunts in the same year? Who did you blackmail to draw those tags? Congrats.
Posted By: MckinneyRifleHunter

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 03:48 AM

That elephant mountain hunt is a dream of mine and it's definitely a once in a lifetime opportunity. Good luck!
Posted By: Dadsaid

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 05:06 AM

I would like to hunt elephant mountain as well..

Good luck

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Dude, 2 hunts in the same year? Who did you blackmail to draw those tags? Congrats.

I simply stated out loud, "I'm 60 years old and this is the last year that I contribute to the State through the drawings."
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 12:43 PM

Lol!!!

Congrats

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 12:46 PM

We usually go to the overflow hunt at Chap in hopes of getting drawn as an extra. Well, there was a really old couple there, like in their late 80's that got drawn to hunt. The man said he had been putting in for the Chap for every year since the point/draw system started, something like 26 years and got drawn for the first time. Seemed kinda screwy to me to put in for that many years and only get drawn once.

I've never gotten drawn; but my bro in law did. He said the biggest bucks at the Chap were over by the game wardens house.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 01:19 PM

I hunted Elephant Mountain 20 years ago when I was 7 years old. I was too young and inexperienced to really do any kind of quality hunting. From what I can remember, I saw a good number of deer. They have both whitetail and mule deer. My brother shot a hybrid buck that looked pretty unique. Good luck out there!
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 01:58 PM

Man, you ought to go play the lottery as well because this year you got the luck!

Both great hunting opportunities, congrats.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 02:30 PM

Congratulations on 2 winners. Good luck and bring back some game & pictures. Would love to do the Elephant Mountain MDG huntcheers
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 02:50 PM

Wow sweet deal banana2
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 03:06 PM

Congrats cheers Back in mid 90's I got drawn for archery and gun both in the same season on Kerr WMA. Then got drawn for Archery the next season again on Kerr. Now, nothing since then. crying
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 03:09 PM

The man said he had been putting in for the Chap for every year since the point/draw system started, something like 26 years and got drawn for the first time. Seemed kinda screwy to me to put in for that many years and only get drawn once.

Over the years I've heard of some folks going on their third trip to chap. I guess we all can't be winners.
Posted By: bigdavehunting

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 05:21 PM

I got drawn Jan 2010 for rifle and oct 2010 bow. rifle had been putting in for 25 yrs and i dont know how many yrs for bow. Rifle we could use corn bow we could not feed. Bow was impossible. Rifle our group killed 2 bucks and a doe. Bow killed nothing but time. Just a great place to get away to.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 09:30 PM

Thanks guys,

Has anyone camped a Elephant Mountain? PDF says no facilities and no open fires. Later doesn't bother me but might not be able to peg a tent either. I hunted the Catto-Gage on the east side of the WMA for a number of years so I know what kind of weather can blow through. Coldest I've even been when hunting was there behind a front about the same time of the month. 19°!
Posted By: Creekrunner

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 09:46 PM

Congratulations. 'Always heard Elephant Mountain was the best mule deer public hunt in Texas. Drew the Sierra Diablos several years ago and connected. You could have a fire in the fire ring there though. Stay warm.
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 10:05 PM

You need to change your handle to "Lucky Dog"! Congratulations compadre! Hope you get a couple of monsters!
Posted By: djs303

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/16/15 11:18 PM

PM sent to you
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/17/15 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Ranch Dog

I simply stated out loud, "I'm 60 years old and this is the last year that I contribute to the State through the drawings."
That is great. We expect lots of pics, whether you take an animal or not. That's such a beautiful part of our state.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/17/15 11:38 PM

Thanks guys! I've done some mule deer hunting over the last decade on a large ranch on the east side of the WMA, here are some of my kills.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 12:03 AM

Great looking trophies. Congratulations sir.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 12:10 AM

Thank you.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 03:36 AM

All the while he's killing them old school! No centerfire long range magnums in those pics.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 12:00 PM

All the while he's killing them old school! No centerfire long range magnums in those pics.

Hah, so true. I've never considered myself much of a shooter but I'm one heck of a hunter. For those interested, in order of the pictures, the rifles and cartridges are:
  • Marlin 444T ~ 444 Marlin
  • Marlin 336ER ~ 356 Win
  • Marlin 375 ~ 375 Win

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 12:42 PM

So what model & caliber is going to the Chap and who's riding along out West with you? I remember from the Marlin Forum (I think it was that one) that you had quite a collection.
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 07:41 PM

Nice deer!

up Awesome about getting drawn! Good luck! I myself got drawn this year for Youth only Mule deer antlerless hunt at Palo Duro Canyon State Park. And this is the first year I applied peep

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/18/15 08:36 PM

So what model & caliber is going to the Chap and who's riding along out West with you? I remember from the Marlin Forum (I think it was that one) that you had quite a collection.

Yeah, I got quite a few and a complete line of Rossi leverguns as well. I'm still pondering the whitetail hunt, it really will depend on what I end up doing with what rifle on the ranch during our whitetail season. I haven't done any hunting with my 336D (35 Rem) in years and was thinking about it.

For this mule deer hunt I was thinking about my Rossi R92 scout rifle chambered in 45 Colt with my TLC454-290-RF cast bullet. This little rifle is very accurate, a 1.25 MOA shooter, and light weight. Coupled with a saddle ring sling, you don't even know that you are carrying it. I load it to 35.0K PSI so it isn't grandpa's 45 Colt, it really sends that 290-grain bullet downrange. I've killed a couple of large hogs with it out at 200 yards and it just dumps them. Here is what I expect out of it at 200-yards.

I was hoping to do a nilgai hunt this year but it is not going to happen. Would have used the Rossi R92 scout chambered in 454 Casull with my 330-grain bullet. I'd favor it for saddle sling carry being those hunts cover so much ground.

I also have a Remington 600 chambered in 35 Rem that I absolutely love but never take hunting because I love the levers. Not sure I could leave a lever home and favor it. I think there would be an uprising in my gun room!
Posted By: elvisp_bucks

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/19/15 03:56 PM

I would shot something that is more capable of making a 200 to 300 yard shot

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/20/15 12:57 AM

His 200 yard target looks pretty good to me and half of the fun in hunting is using something that you enjoy. There's a reason why some guys quit using high powered magnum center fire rifles and start bow hunting, takes the fun out of it.

I like seeing the man use a traditional old western type rifle and like him, I love the look and low weight of lever actions as well.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 10/20/15 01:07 PM

Originally Posted By: elvisp_bucks
I would shot something that is more capable of making a 200 to 300 yard shot

Oh, so that would be my 444 Marlin. I'm not the least interested in long range hunting. I like spending the time to work in close. If it doesn't work out, it's not a big deal for me as I enjoyed the hunt. Almost all the desert mule deer I've killed, have been inside 100 yards.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 02:25 AM

Just got home and a bit tied up with "to do's". Here is a teaser.... will be back as soon as I can.

• 2X3
  • 21 7/8"
  • 158# field dressed
  • 7 1/2 years or older
Only mature deer I saw.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 02:32 AM

Congratulations. Tell us the details when you have time.
Posted By: Hen-Killer

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 02:41 AM

Awesome
Posted By: supersampson12

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 05:02 AM

Nice Muley
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 01:41 PM

up texas

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 08:31 PM

Still trying to get my head above water but thought I would post some more pictures. This was a pretty tough hunt, I think all four hunters would say this and all of us have experience hunting mule deer. The deer were not moving well, the staff felt it might be just a bit early on the rut phase, and the deer I shot was the only mature buck I saw. Only saw four does, two of which were yearlings. Saw a bunch of spikes and forkies that were very young. On the first afternoon, I saw a "classic" framed 4x4 about 900 yards away and took about 400 yards off the distance and decided he was only about 3 1/2 and I just wasn't interested. As fate would have it, I saw this deer the last morning in the same area but on my road in the dark. He was about 15 yards away. I rolled down my window and talked to him, he did not wander off. In about 3 years when he stops putting everything into skelton, he will make a dandy for some lucky hunter!

I had parked my truck on the perimeter road of my unit before daylight on my final morning and wanted to work back up the road still hunting the ravines that crossed the road and glassing the slopes. I worked my way up the road with the wind in my face and sun behind me for two miles until I got to a point that the FBI crossed in front of me going up to the top of the mountain to work on some of their monitoring stuff on the top. I hadn't seen anything so I started the 2 miles back. On the return, I saw only the 2 yearling does and a whitetail spike. I was a bit discouraged.

I decided to drive out the way I had been and go to the west side of my units. As I approached the point I turned around on my still hunt, I saw this deer moving down a gradual incline toward the perimeter fence. My truck was at a choke point on the road with heavy brush on both sides and the sun behind it so I got out and started to move slowly up the road. I honestly thought that I would not see the buck again as all it had to do was stop in the thicket but just as I thought that the buck came out on the road ahead of me and slid to a stop (literally). I think he saw my truck but not me as I was on the edge of the road in the shade. His nose was about six feet from the fence and had he crossed he would have been good for another day. Instead, he turned and started to run down the road away from me.

I had already slid my left arm through the Savage Scout's shooting sling and brought the rifle up. He was running straight away and I was bellering at him but my crosshairs were pretty solid on him. As he hit a raised rainfall diversion across the road, he twisted around to look at me and I lit it off. The "splat" of the bullet hitting him echoed down the valley, it was loud. I had shot about 200 rounds the week prior to this hunt and had instinctively taken all the slack out of the AccuTrigger and when I thought "go", it went". I love that trigger!

I also couldn't believe that I had shot at the buck standing, offhand, at what I figured was about 160-yards. At the shot the deer had just pranced over the diversion and went out of sight. I waited a few minutes and easied up the road to the point I could peep over the diversion and I saw some blood and a bit of lung in the road. I went back and sat at the truck for another 15 minutes and let myself relax. I used the rangefinder to measure from where I stood to where he was and it was 171-yards. Once better suited for another follow up shot, if needed, I worked up the road and immediately past the diversion could see that the rocks leaving the road where sprayed with blood. He laid in some rocks and yuccas about 15 yards away. It was quite a sense of accomplishment and relief that the hunt was completed.

I had camped at the "primitive" site which is as it is described and is very remote from the headquarters and anything else. They do have awnings with picnic tables, a compost toilet, fire rings, and a tap with non-potable water. I placed my tent under the awning and a tarp over the table. Hey with almighty sky and horizon, I didn't find the need for that dark, nasty toilet either! When the lights go out in this country, they go out and it gets cold. The first night, the night before the hunt, it froze pretty hard. All my water was frozen. Wasn't as bad the following nights. It would be windy at times but not bad during the night. Coons and javelinas will mess with your sight at night.

Staff is very friendly and willing to help. There is a walk in cooler to store the deer but once you shoot, you are done. You cannot go back into your units, only the campsite.

Finally, to describe this deer as a 2X3 just doesn't do the old fellow the justice he deserves after living the tough life he surely led. Here is how he places with some of his compadres immediately across the WMA's eastern fence that I have been lucky enough to hunt a bit over the years.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 08:44 PM

Oh, didn't mention but the 180-grain bullet hit the exact spot that I had aimed at, on the last rib and out the forward edge of the opposite arm pit. It had sliced the aorta off right across the top of the heart and taken out the bottom of both lungs.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 08:52 PM

Great job and good shootin'. Thanks for all the pictures; gives a good feel for the place.
Posted By: joe3616

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 09:17 PM

great story, felt like I was there

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 09:34 PM

Thanks guys!

I've kept the maps and all kinds of notes. If anyone is drawn in the future, do not hesitate to PM about the info.

Also the hotel & food situation in Alpine is very good and reasonable. I think that if I were ever to return, I would just stay in town particularly in that I hunt alone. The nights are plenty long and it is only a short drive. This place leaves you wanting a hot shower at the end of the day.

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 09:42 PM

Keep forgetting to add stuff...

Saw five bighorns, four rams and one ewe. On the drive out saw five mature cow elk and a flock of turkeys. What a great place!
Posted By: spitfire

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 10:03 PM

Great write up and congrats!
Posted By: Texican

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/11/15 10:33 PM

Congrats on an awesome hunt!
Posted By: Palehorse

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/12/15 12:05 AM

Congrats! Great writeup and pics!

Re: Drawn ~ Elephant Mountain! - 12/12/15 04:39 AM

Thanks guys!