Texas Hunting Forum

CWD testing

Posted By: don k

CWD testing - 10/15/15 08:15 PM

Just read it the Bandera paper that the TPWS is going to have a CWD check station on Hwy. 16 at Mansfield Park on weekends during the season for anyone that wants to get their deer tested for CWD.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 08:27 PM

Yes. TAHC and TPWD are asking for hunter submitted samples on a voluntary basis. No cost to the hunter for testing. This is for deer harvested from lands that aren't already in a mandatory surveillance program.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 08:31 PM

There has been a confirmed case in a breeding facility in Austin County, and our guy is also asking for voluntary sampling from deer shot.
Posted By: shadams

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 08:43 PM

I talked to the TPWD Biologist for the hill country district 2 weeks ago and he told me at that time they were going to set up at Mansfield park but that was still up in the air.

Also, they had a public meeting on the 13th (2 days ago that I forgot about) in Bandera talking about all that. I was looking forward to that if nothing else to keep my family up to date...
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 09:16 PM

Hunters Asked to Submit Samples for CWD Testing

Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD) was recently found in Medina County and Lavaca County deer breeding facilities. It’s a fatal disease that affects the deer family. In order to protect the species, save the hunt and avoid unfavorable economic impact, we are asking all Texas hunters to help us keep tabs on deer health by submitting deer samples for testing.
Hunters can assist with this statewide monitoring effort by voluntarily taking their harvested deer (or the head of the harvested deer) to a location where TPWD wildlife biologists will be collecting tissue samples for CWD testing. TPWD biologists will submit samples to the Texas A&M Veterinary Diagnostic Lab at no cost to the hunter, and test results should be made available to the hunter within 3-4 weeks. TPWD would prefer to collect the tissue samples within 24 hours of harvest; however, the appropriate tissue samples will remain viable for a few days if the head is chilled soon after harvest, and remains chilled until the samples can be collected. It is very important that the deer head not be frozen.
Locations where TPWD wildlife biologists will be collecting samples this year will be posted online. Additionally, landowners and hunters can contact their local wildlife biologist for more information regarding CWD sampling opportunities in their area. A hunter who allows for a CWD sample to be collected will receive a sample receipt that can be used to track test results online.
Hunters play a real role in helping Texas cope with this disease. With cooperation, vigilance and common sense precautions, together we will keep Texas hunting the best in the country. You can find more information about CWD, including tips for handling carcasses, on our website.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/dise...rce=govdelivery
Posted By: Simple Searcher

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 09:52 PM

Hmmm. Makes you wonder how many will stop and get the test done.
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

Makes me wonder what will happen when they get a positive sample......

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 10:23 PM

The County Judge said by the time the results were given to the hunter the Deer would have already been made into sausage and consumed. Also that they were not sure what would happen to the area if a Deer was found to be tested positive. Sounds like a lot of unknowns unless they don't want to say.
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 11:02 PM

State wants more control over deer farmers!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 11:03 PM

Don't they need the deer's head in order to get a sample for testing?
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 11:09 PM

I was told they will collect samples for period of days then send them all off together on Tues of each week. They will get all the results back in IIRC 21 days more or less. Hunters can freeze the meat and then decide what course to take if a positive test is found on their deer.

Re: CWD testing - 10/15/15 11:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Pitchfork Predator
Don't they need the deer's head in order to get a sample for testing?
According to the paper.Tissue from the brain stem and lymph nodes would be preserved in formalin and sent to A&m for testing. Tests take from 3 to 4 weeks.Those that submit samples are given a number.They can go online and see the results. No names are involved. Like was stated earlier if a test comes back positive they are not sure what steps would be taken.
Posted By: passthru

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 01:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Simple Searcher

I would. I think it would be interesting to see how the real world stacks up to the fenced in breeding facilities.
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 01:07 AM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
There has been a confirmed case in a breeding facility in Austin County, and our guy is also asking for voluntary sampling from deer shot.

When was this case found?
Posted By: shadams

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 02:54 AM

When I talked to the biologist he said they were not expecting to get any positives. Sounds like more of a PR move than anything. And he said that CWD had no affect on humans so not to worry about it as far as eating the animals goes. Hell, I wouldnt touch a deer that looked sick anyway, CWD or not...
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 03:46 AM

Seems like they'd (TPWD) offer this service at the meat lockers/processors
Posted By: Pinky3169

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 10:39 AM

Our Biologist asked if we would submit samples for him.... We are to keep the heads and not freeze them.. He's bringing us separate tags to put on the heads, so he can transport. It should be interesting.
Posted By: jeh7mmmag

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 02:34 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Meat processors could end up with a big scare if a positive is found amongst their clients deer.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 05:47 PM

WHat happens if the deer is processed through meat locker? Does that mean that every deer processed through that same processor after the infected deer could also be infected by contamination? Looks like this could become a big scare pretty quickly or is this what they are after?
Posted By: jmh004

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 06:30 PM

I haven't heard of any cases coming out of Austin County. I know they killed 177 deer on that ranch in Medina County and got 0 positive tests from it. Waste of animals and money.
Posted By: rifleman

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 06:39 PM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout

That's where they used to collect at 10-15yrs ago. They got several does and a spike I shot. Never heard anything out of it and I just remember telling them the county & property name it came from.
Posted By: jjason

Re: CWD testing - 10/16/15 06:41 PM

Originally Posted By: BenBob
WHat happens if the deer is processed through meat locker? Does that mean that every deer processed through that same processor after the infected deer could also be infected by contamination? Looks like this could become a big scare pretty quickly or is this what they are after?

I think those deer already have a bigger health problem than CWD grill
Posted By: Franklin517

Re: CWD testing - 10/17/15 03:40 PM

They have been testing at stevens processing in Abilene for at least the last 2 years. Yes they collect brain stem from the head.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: CWD testing - 10/18/15 08:28 PM

With our experience with TPWD I don't think we will be donating anything for them to test. Plus still have no idea what they will do if a positive test comes back. Do you put down what ranch you are hungry or just the county?

Re: CWD testing - 10/18/15 11:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Auctioneer1
With our experience with TPWD I don't think we will be donating anything for them to test. Plus still have no idea what they will do if a positive test comes back. Do you put down what ranch you are hungry or just the county?
The ranch you hunt should be on your tag.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum