Texas Hunting Forum

Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried.

Posted By: Alim

Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 02:53 AM

I was hunting the other evening and a legal 5 point with a messed up antler came in and wouldn't leave. He was eating all the corn and I wanted him to leave. I made a few noises in my stand, tapping, knocking and such. This is only 18 yards from the feeder. He'd look, but go right back to eating. I shook a branch. Nothing, Yelled "Hey DEER"!! He just looked. Finally I threw a branch at him. He jumped out of the pen and walked away, almost wistfully it seemed. LOL. Next morning he was back, and I had to climb out of the stand to make him leave. I've decided now that since our place straddles the county line of two AR counties, I'm going to take him next time I hunt. Of course now, I'll never see him again.

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 02:57 AM

Posted By: S.A. hunter

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:43 AM

Should of put him out of his misery.
Posted By: TEXASLEFTY

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:52 AM

That deer NEEDS to be taken out of the herd. Good luck!
Posted By: chital_shikari

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 11:05 AM

Dude, I'd have tagged him.
Posted By: MontagueMonsters

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 12:21 PM

I've had pigs that way before, fearless!!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 12:32 PM

If it were me, I'd let him stay all he wants. He's the kind of buck a mature buck will enjoy picking on and running off from the feeder. If he's eating the corn up, throw out more corn.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 12:53 PM

That's a crazy looking broad head. What is it?

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: chital_shikari
Dude, I'd have tagged him.

I was after a particular buck I had seen 2 days earlier. I haven't bow hunted in years and that buck made me go buy a new bow and setup. So after all that cash outlay, I was after him. LOL Since then, I've read the rules better and he doesn't have to be the only 13 incher I shoot this year. So, now I'm gonna tag him tomorrow if he comes back

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:05 PM

Originally Posted By: titan2232

It's called a Ramcat. 100 grain. Flies pretty true. Supposedly, the fact that the point is the same length as a field point it keeps the spine the same as a field point. The blades sweep back over the shaft. They are held in place with left hand thread allen head screws. Blades are replaceable, and I've had success sharpening them. Haven't shot anything with them yet, I'll let you know how they perform.

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:08 PM

Here's a little better pic. Oh, they are also sharpened on both front and back edges of the blade. If it doesn't pass clear through the double edges are supposed to do more damage as the arrow bounces around inside the animal.

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: MontagueMonsters
I've had pigs that way before, fearless!!!

Noticed your handle. Our land is in Cooke/Montague counties. We don't have the great looking deer like in the Red River areas of the counties, but it's free. LOL
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:27 PM

Pretty sick looking BH. Let me know when you stick one.

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 03:31 PM

Will do.
Posted By: cameron00

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 05:18 PM

I threw a beer can onto the back of a big, ugly 4pt that I didn't want to shoot because a buck I was hunting heavily was about 200 yards off and I thought he'd come in. Beer can hits him, he jumps off, startled, then comes back and starts licking the beer can.

Don't blame him, but was really surprised he didn't run off.
Posted By: Dalee7892

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 05:29 PM

Hey Cameron, what kind of beer? Could be a good attractant!!!!! LOL
Posted By: MoBettaHuntR

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 05:50 PM

Originally Posted By: cameron00
I threw a beer can onto the back of a big, ugly 4pt that I didn't want to shoot because a buck I was hunting heavily was about 200 yards off and I thought he'd come in. Beer can hits him, he jumps off, startled, then comes back and starts licking the beer can.

Don't blame him, but was really surprised he didn't run off.

I hope you picked up the beer can...
Posted By: dogdown23

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/15/15 07:17 PM

I'd let him stay all he wants. Mature bucks will be more inclined to come in if they see a deer already at the feeder.

Re: Couldn't scare a buck away if I tried. - 10/16/15 02:34 AM

Pretty sick looking BH. Let me know when you stick one.

Entry wound. Penetrated far shoulder. Fletch end stayed in. Broke the arrow when he landed on his back after not quite clearing a fence after he was hit. Ran 40,yard . I was happy. It was the same deer I tried to scare away.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum