Texas Hunting Forum

Feeding Soybeans

Posted By: mow

Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 04:51 PM

Anybody feed soybeans or a corn soybean mix?..im about to fill feeder with a 50/50 mix..thoughts?
Posted By: rickym

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 04:55 PM

Lots of people do. The deer seem to respond well to them. I usually just throw some out when I'm hunting a spot to help hold the deer longer
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 05:02 PM

Roasted Soybeans if you can find them. Lot of places sell Soybean/corn mixture down around this area.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 05:13 PM

I used to feed a roasted soybean/corn mixture from my spin casters. But I noticed the deer were eating the corn and not the beans, so I went back to straight corn. I also feed protein 24/7 so maybe they didn't need the extra from the soybeans?
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 05:15 PM

Why roasted?
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 05:19 PM

smells really good

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 05:22 PM

do you pick up a handful on the way to the blind? Bet they go great with an ice cold silver bullet up
Posted By: Cast

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 07:08 PM

I fed it last year, but 4K Feed doesn't have it this year. I would love a corn, soybean and millet mix but can't find it anymore.
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/13/15 08:48 PM

I use a roasted soy/corn mix.

It works very well. It has a very pleasant smell from the soybeans that I'm sure they like.

We don't feed protein, if we did they might not eat the soybeans.
Posted By: mooney_ag

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/14/15 02:24 PM

A little anecdotal but I hunt over two feeders. Last year I had one alternated with 1bag of the mix and one bag of corn to offset the feed bill. The other feeder was strictly corn. When the acorns dropped the corn piled up under the corn feeder and the mix feeder stayed eaten down. This year they both have some mix in them.
Posted By: John Humbert

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/14/15 02:33 PM

Roasting the beans increases the nutritional value, so I've been told. I use it and the deer gobble it up. Don't think it makes a big difference though. The best thing I have found for an attractant other than protein is FRESH cut premium alfalfa. It has such a strong odor that the deer (and exotics) like, that it carries a long distance and will bring deer in from pretty far away.

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/14/15 02:57 PM

I can see how roasting would help to get the smell out better..

Nutrition comes from only three sources (fat, protein, and carbohydrates). Carbs and protein yield 4 calories per gram, fat yields 9 cal/gr. Vitamins and minerals are non-nutritive. If they beans were roasted, crushed, and pelletized you could concentrate the density of nutrients but you cannot increase the nutritional value just by roasting.

Soybeans are pretty nutrient-dense, particularly in protein and fat. Corn is high in carbs, low in fat and protein. Corn is basically candy to a deer, as they do not need the large amount of carbohydrates it provides.
Posted By: Age N Score ?

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/15/15 11:39 AM

I'm telling you to try Indian Corn. The deer REALLY do love it and will stay at the feeder longer. I order it from a feed store in New Mexico.
Posted By: Dry Fire

Re: Feeding Soybeans - 10/15/15 12:57 PM

Alabama has tons of soybean fields. If the wife and I hit the grocery store just before dark, we see plenty of deer in them. Many hunters here plant soybean. It matures into nice early fall food plot.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum