Texas Hunting Forum

Big net typical 10 is dead

Posted By: savoyspecial1

Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 05:45 AM

Dad found him floating in the tank dead he must have gotten sick and died. No punctures of signs of injury. Ended up grossing 210 and netting 201.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 05:46 AM

Posted By: Enter Standman

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 05:47 AM

Oh wow. That is heartbreaking.
Posted By: txshntr

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 05:47 AM

Dadgum. Sure hate to see them go like that, but glad your pops found him. Outstanding buck up
Posted By: C3 guide

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:00 AM

What a shame!! Heck of a deer!!!
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 10:33 AM

http://texashuntingforum.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/5933546/1

That's sad, he was the biggest live typical 10 I've seen posted maybe ever on the thf. For sure one of the nicest looking ones.
Posted By: texashelms

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 12:22 PM

Now that's some bone!!
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 12:26 PM

Bummer.
Posted By: SapperTitan

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 12:29 PM

Originally Posted By: C3 guide
Posted By: HuntnFly67

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 12:33 PM

****mini-rant warning*****

That was a stellar buck. Absolutely impressive and awesome. Why do we (hunters/outdoorsmen/game managers/etc) adopt a scoring system that seems to take away from such a majestic beast? What would be the psychological impact if that deer netted 198" or 199"?

Just bothers me to take anything away from such a handsome beast.

****end of rant****

Great buck! Sorry that he met his end that way.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 12:56 PM

What a tough end for such a magnificent animal. Bar none, the finest net typical Texas 10 point I've ever seen.
Posted By: SouthTXhunter07

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 01:03 PM

dang. sorry it ended that way. Glad you have the horns to tell the story.
Posted By: jmh004

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 01:06 PM

Wow, thats rally too bad. Any word on what killed it? Hemorrhaging disease? I bet one person on here will say its CWD, but I highly doubt it.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 01:22 PM

Originally Posted By: SapperTitan
Originally Posted By: C3 guide

X3
Posted By: EddieWalker

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 01:29 PM

Glad you found him and he didn't just disappear. Hopefully he passed on his genetics and you'll see more like him in the future!!!
Posted By: Pitchfork Predator

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 01:43 PM

Glad y'all found it and can mount it for all to see. One of the most majestic ten points I've ever had the pleasure of admiring. I remember you saying your Dad was going to let it die of natural causes. I'm sure he was expecting it to be a few more years from now.

cheers
Posted By: jshouse

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 01:58 PM

awesome buck, horrible ending
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:04 PM

Great buck with a sad ending. I have seen bucks that showed no outside evidence of puncture wounds that died from an internal wound caused by an antler tip.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:07 PM

Man. What a deer. Glad you found him, but sorry he had to die that way.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:12 PM

Originally Posted By: stxranchman
Great buck with a sad ending. I have seen bucks that showed no outside evidence of puncture wounds that died from an internal wound caused by an antler tip.

That was my first thought.. Lots of bucks are killed every year in fights, more than some realize.
Posted By: TexFlip

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:18 PM

Looks even bigger out of velvet.

How does that work with removing the antlers? Do you have to tag it or just call it in? Genuinely curious not trying to stir the pot.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:28 PM

"found dead". no tag or reporting required.
Posted By: Erathkid

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:36 PM

WOW eeks333
Posted By: redchevy

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:43 PM

What a hoss!
Posted By: krmitchell

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 02:45 PM

Unfortunate, great deer.
Posted By: Texas buckeye

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 05:57 PM

I guess I am missing the point of the "unfortunate" posts...

What is unfortunate about letting nature take its course? I see this as very fortunate they found the deer so they can show off the antlers as a trophy of God's creation.

Is it unfortunate someone didn't get to shoot it? I don't understand.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 05:58 PM

Edit to above ^^^^

What an awesome buck and glad you guys were able to recover his antlers so you can show them off for the trophy they are. Glad you were able to get him recovered and he didn't hole up and die out where you never would have known.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Texas buckeye

What is unfortunate about letting nature take its course? I see this as very fortunate they found the deer so they can show off the antlers as a trophy of God's creation.

You can call me greedy if you want, but yes I think it's unfortunate that he was found bloated and floating in a stock tank and not killed by me...

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:05 PM

8pt, if you had a hunt lined up with the HF owners to go after this guy, then yes I will agree it was very unfortunate he was found dead in a tank....but unless there were a bunch of guys lined up for a stab at this beast...I don't know.
Posted By: BOBO the Clown

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:09 PM

8pt, if you had a hunt lined up with the HF owners to go after this guy, then yes I will agree it was very unfortunate he was found dead in a tank....but unless there were a bunch of guys lined up for a stab at this beast...I don't know.

Lot of good meat just went bye bye frown

Part of nature though few years back my old place got hit with EHD real bad. Sad deal. Lots of wasted non human utilized animals.
Posted By: kdkane1971

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By: jmh004
Wow, thats rally too bad. Any word on what killed it? Hemorrhaging disease? I bet one person on here will say its CWD, but I highly doubt it.

flounder?

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:37 PM

I think its unfortunate that the cause of death is unknown, the meat wasn't able to be eaten and that an awesome animal like that died most likely a painful death and was found floating in a pond. i would have said the same for any animal really, just makes it worse that it was a world class trophy.
Posted By: DuckCoach1985

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 06:40 PM

How old was that buck?

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 07:09 PM

^^^This

Hope you guys have some idea of age and can confirm it with dental age or something. Just a remarkable animal

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

I think its unfortunate that the cause of death is unknown, the meat wasn't able to be eaten and that an awesome animal like that died most likely a painful death and was found floating in a pond. i would have said the same for any animal really, just makes it worse that it was a world class trophy.

I take a different perspective I guess, this kind of thing happens all the time in the wild and at least it wasn't half eaten to death by coyotes or something. To me, it owuld be unfortunate to see this guy limping along with three coyotes chasing him or biting his rump off rather than dead floating in a tank. My opinion only...we are all entitled to our own, just looking for a different perspective, and I get what you all are saying up especially about the wasted meat.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 07:51 PM

Originally Posted By: jshouse

I take a different perspective I guess, this kind of thing happens all the time in the wild and at least it wasn't half eaten to death by coyotes or something. To me, it owuld be unfortunate to see this guy limping along with three coyotes chasing him or biting his rump off rather than dead floating in a tank. My opinion only...we are all entitled to our own, just looking for a different perspective, and I get what you all are saying up especially about the wasted meat.

up
Posted By: djs303

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 10:03 PM

Hopefully he spread his genes in past years and one of his offspring can take his place. Somebody sure had a strong stomach to be able to cut the antlers off the skull. Not something I could have done.
Posted By: N.Tx

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 10:22 PM

Originally Posted By: DuckCoach1985
How old was that buck?

X2

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 10:52 PM

He was 6 years old. These things happen a lot in nature and most of the time we are wondering where that big buck we are after disappeared to this is the truth of that matter most of the time. I am glad the horns were recovered and I don't know any hunter that would not have the stomach to cut these horns off to keep, bloated deer or not. The only unfortunate thing about this situation is that he could not pass his genes on a little longer. It's almost a miracle to grow a deer like this and if anyone wants to prove me wrong on that I ask them to show me a pic of one running around. It takes a lot of hard work, time, money and luck to have an animal like this and then not to take the offeres that were thrown out there to shoot the deer and try to let him breed and live. I know my pops was pretty upset to see this happen but it happens in nature all the time. Really only one word to really sum it all up, sucks. There is one big typical gene being passed around, first the big typical 8, 188, that was shot, now this one and now there is a 3 year old that is getting there.
Posted By: SnakeWrangler

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/13/15 11:19 PM

Originally Posted By: EddieWalker
Glad you found him and he didn't just disappear. Hopefully he passed on his genetics and you'll see more like him in the future!!!
Posted By: Txhunter65

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 01:31 AM

What a magnificent animal.
Posted By: sparrish8

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 01:38 AM

Originally Posted By: kdkane1971
Originally Posted By: jmh004

flounder?

Please dont invite him too this thread
Posted By: WesTexHunter75

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 01:56 AM

Wow, What a toad! Sad he had to go that way.... Have you posted pics of him from previous years? I would love to see the age/horn progression of that deer.
Posted By: Phantom

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 02:08 AM

The Cause of death is generally Blue Tongue in that situation. The tongue swells up and they go to water. Generally see them dead next to or near the water. I have seen this quite of few times.
Posted By: texasspazzman

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 04:12 AM

Daum shame... cry
Posted By: Mathp

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 05:46 AM

+1 on any pics that show age progression!

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 12:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Mathp
+1 on any pics that show age progression!

+1+1

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 12:57 PM

Originally Posted By: brianl
The Cause of death is generally Blue Tongue in that situation. The tongue swells up and they go to water. Generally see them dead next to or near the water. I have seen this quite of few times.

Him dying in the water really doesn't narrow down what killed him. Nearly any wounded or sick deer will go to water. Cows will do the same, don't know why but they like to die near water.
Posted By: Steven Bates

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 03:36 PM

What a stud of a whitetail! Sad end but Nature can be that way. I would be excited knowing that I had genetics like that getting passed around.
Posted By: BenBob

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 04:08 PM

That deer WOWS me every time I look at him and that has been numerous times.
Posted By: BowMan59

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 08:13 PM

I've looked but didn't see if this deer was behind a HF or LF, only asking because it's not that difficult to grow them behind a HF but a true feat on LF property! Awesome animal...

+1

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 08:34 PM

HF, texas genetics, not pen raised....

according to the original post about this monster buck
Posted By: stxranchman

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 08:45 PM

Originally Posted By: LSTR
I've looked but didn't see if this deer was behind a HF or LF, only asking because it's not that difficult to grow them behind a HF but a true feat on LF property! Awesome animal...

+1

They would have more dead deer or sickly deer if it were BT or EHD I would think. Lot of younger deer also and not many older deer. BT does happen in South Texas in the fall though but generally not this late in the year. With as many mature bigger bodied bucks as they appear to have the timing for this time of the year and a fighting related death is more likely. If they have lost several deer and young deer then the BT would be more likely.

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: LSTR
I've looked but didn't see if this deer was behind a HF or LF, only asking because it's not that difficult to grow them behind a HF but a true feat on LF property! Awesome animal...[quote=brianl]The Cause of death is generally Blue Tongue in that situation. The tongue swells up and they go to water. Generally see them dead next to or near the water. I have seen this quite of few times.

Not that difficult behind a HF? While it would be a virtual miracle for a LF ranch, you're in the hunting business. Just how many 201 net, slick 10 points have you seen grown anywhere in Texas? As rare as the 189" 8 Pt killed on the same ranch last season.
Posted By: TechHunter

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 09:47 PM

ouch
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Big net typical 10 is dead - 10/14/15 10:08 PM

I believe that sticker point is over 7/8" so wouldn't that make it an eleven point?
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum