Texas Hunting Forum

Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings

Posted By: JMalin

Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/04/15 02:44 PM

Shoulder punched a good axis buck this morning with my bow. Only got about 10 inches of penetration looking at broken arrow shaft. Likely just a single lung. I waited an hour before walking in and couldn't find any blood. Backing out now and waiting for help. If you can come out or know if someone that can, please give me a call. 281-853-5484. Cleaning a pig now. I will call you back as soon as it is quartered.
Posted By: rackjudge

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/04/15 03:23 PM

See if you can find justin Trimble. I don't have his number but I think he is in that area.
Posted By: WTN

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/04/15 05:03 PM

Jeff Beauregard. 575-365-4237
Posted By: Booner1

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/04/15 05:07 PM

popcorn

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/04/15 11:46 PM

No luck. I was too high. Who knows? They are tough critters. Maybe he'll live if infection doesn't set in. Disappointed and disgusted in myself. Not the first time I've failed to recover an animal shot with my bow. Maybe I need to hang it up.
Posted By: Auctioneer1

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/05/15 02:18 AM

Just need to make sure they step forward or hit low behind the shoulder heart shot. Hope you find him go back and look tomorrow.

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/05/15 02:35 AM

Had a dog out with no luck. I'm pretty certain that axis is still alive. I'll watch the skies for birds, but I've given up hope on finding him. Hard pill to swallow. Dead deer with the same shot placement with a rifle. I have to force myself to shoot lower in the body cavity.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/05/15 04:19 AM

Our neighbor shot a whitetail with a bow several years and the arrow went through both shoulder blades. You could see the hole in both shoulder blades. Somehow he survived the infection he had (it was bad, I almost shot him to put him out of his misery). Anyways, that buck lived 7 years after that incident. He might have died of old age last year because he never showed up last year.

This buck was shot by the same hunter and when I skinned it I found the broken arrow. After looking back through the game can pics I found that he had been shot on opening day of bow season. He had a lump on his shoulder that I thought was a broken bone, turned out to be the broadhead & arrow broke off inside of him. I killed this buck the last day of rifle season so he lived 3 months with this arrow in him and showed zero signs of being injured. Deer are amazingly tough animals, I have no clue how they can live; but they do. Axis are bigger boned so I reckon they might be even tougher.

Pics of the buck.

The lump above his right ear is what I later realized to be the broken off arrow shaft.

This was the shaft & broadhead that was stuck into his shoulder.

Posted By: YellowDog

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/05/15 04:02 PM

Wow
Posted By: SniperRAB

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/05/15 04:31 PM

Call Oley, he's right past the A&M research ranch towards Sonora

325-226-5868
This is the number that I show for him, but I do not know for sure that it is current.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/05/15 04:33 PM

Did the Axis spin on you after the shot or just an off shot on your part? I know those Axis can dip and spin very quickly.

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/06/15 02:42 AM

Got a little redemption this afternoon. Bagged a yearling doe. Chip shot. Broadside 20 yards. Double lung and died within sight. As far as my shot on the axis, I think I just made a bad shot. Too high and too far forward. My heart was racing. I drew once and had to let down because he wouldn't turn (facing me eating corn). Drew for a second time and had to hold for 20 seconds before he cleared feeder leg. Let the arrow fly, but didn't stay down enough on him.
Posted By: titan2232

Re: Need a tracking dog in Rocksprings - 10/06/15 04:05 PM

Good comeback with some good camp meat. up
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum