Texas Hunting Forum

Cold weather deer hunting clothes

Posted By: postoak

Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/02/15 04:55 PM

I just ordered a pair of UA base layer to replace my old cotton long-johns. What do you guys wear over that when the temps are around 15-20? I also have some old camo one-piece coveralls (do they still sell those?) that I've used for 40 years, and I usually wear jeans under them, but I'm just wondering if that combo (base layer, jeans, coveralls) is going to be enough for those temps.
Posted By: 8pointdrop

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/02/15 05:06 PM

I wore under armour, then long Johns, pants, sweater, and coveralls over top last year in 15° and thought I was gonna melt. Should have went under armour OR long Johns, not both. My feet freezing off is the problem I always have.

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/02/15 05:14 PM

Okay, thanks for the input.

I haven't had a problem with cold feet since I bought some boot "blankets". Those plus thinsulate in boots did the trick for me.
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/02/15 05:37 PM

For me when the temps drop below about 30 it is some base layer thermal (long johns), then hunting pants (carhart work pants or jeans) then bibs with a water-resistant shell layer. This is the same whether I'm in TX or NM. Keeps me nice and warm, lets me shed or vent the bibs when the sun gets up or I get to moving alot.

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/02/15 06:05 PM

Is there any reason you use bibs rather than coveralls?
Posted By: Bdontexoma

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/03/15 01:27 AM

I have the UA base layer too. Love it!! I usually wear that and insulated UA pants on my legs and a pull over with a down jacket on my torso. Usually keeps my body more than warm. As stated above my extrimedities get too cold (toes, fingers, ears) and I know the obvious answer is better boots, socks, gloves and a toboggan but I don't like thick gloves for lack of movement and don't like a toboggan over my ears cause I like to hear what's going on around me.

I usually bow hunt out of a tree. Obviously if I was in a ground blind or rifle hunting from a box blind some of these issue shouldn't apply.
Posted By: Stratgolfer

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/03/15 01:49 AM

Supposed to be a wet cold one this year, they are saying the El Nino pushing in harsher conditions
Posted By: TxAg

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/03/15 03:59 AM

Originally Posted By: postoak
Is there any reason you use bibs rather than coveralls?

Yes. It lets me shed or keep the upper Torso layers separately from the lower, but offers much better vote warmth than pants when worn. Bibs are flexible.
Posted By: BooneDog

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/03/15 04:19 AM

Bibs are a lot more comfortable, better mobility, and like said above easier to layer. Plus they are faster to get off in case of emergency alsups burrito deposit sneaks up on you.
Posted By: coach20

Re: Cold weather deer hunting clothes - 10/03/15 04:22 AM

bibs and parka , more movement.
© 2024 Texas Hunting Forum